Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-Aelon [Final][PC][PS3][Pics]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM-Aelon [Final][PC][PS3][Pics]

================================
    D M - A E L O N

Version 1.00
    Last update 15/05/09
    Cooked with UT3 2.1

Filename: DM-Aelon
    Author: DeathoX 8 (a.k.a. XYZ 8000)

Description

This map is a rather tight Duel map. I don't recommend playing it with more than 3 players, since the layout is pretty small.

This map is the remake of my Unreal Tournament GotY map DM-LP-Aelon, included in the Low Poly Map Pack 2. The layout has been altered a bit, and of course the difference in the visuals is abysimal.

Most of the map has been built with custom meshes, made with Blender. I tried to make a good looking map, while still keeping a good gameplay, visibility and performance.

I also tried to get an old Unreal feeling in this map. Aside from the evergreen tarydium crystals, I tried to make a pretty colorful map and to use many volumetrics to create a pretty nice "oldskool" atmosphere.

If you get some slowdowns (you shouldn't get any, though. The map is pretty light) or if you just want a cleaner looking map turn the detail level to Low to get rid of the grass, the particle effects and some other details.

Enjoy

Credits

Thanks to Hourences for the gravel texture I used in the map, taken from the
    HourKraden texture pack.

Thanks to Bantis, Cr4zyB4st4rd, Ignotium, Minifloppy, RennyManJr, Slainchild and Vybz for feedback and help during map development.

ScreenShots

[screenshot]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/XYZ8000/Unreal%20Tournament%203/DM-Aelon/DM-Aelon-1.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/XYZ8000/Unreal%20Tournament%203/DM-Aelon/DM-Aelon-2.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h46/XYZ8000/Unreal%20Tournament%203/DM-Aelon/DM-Aelon-3.jpg[/screenshot]

Download

http://www.DeathoX8.com/Maps/DM-Aelon.html#Download

looks realy good!,
    only one question why is every one always making minerals submit light?
    downloading when i get home.

Comment

Originally posted by ZixXer View Post
      The original Unreal game taught me that

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ8000 View Post
        The original Unreal game taught me that
        Eheheheh, we are nostalgic

Comment

This is a very cool little duel map, it has a nice fluent layout and the terrain is refreshing compared to what is usually architectural in these sorts of maps.

I'm not sure if I like players spawning on weapons though.
          I also noticed an odd collision issue near the waterfall.

Great stuff, potential prize winner!

Comment

Thanks for comments, glad you liked it

The players indeed spawn very close to the weapons, I prefer to place the Playerstarts that way since this map is pretty tight and it's very useful to immediately have something to defend yourself with after spawning (otherwise it's pretty easy to spawnrape someone when playing with 3 players).
            Collisions are a bit strange sometimes due to the highly irregular shape of the cave, I tried to make it as smooth as possible but chances are that I missed a spot...

Comment

Originally posted by ZixXer View Post
              looks realy good!,
              Tarydium.
              It's basically the Imulsion of the Unreal world. An extremely sought-after crystaline mineral that can power just about anything. The Skaarj enslaved the entire Nali race in Unreal 1 to get it. It's a blue crystaline mineral that emits a dim glow.

Comment

"The original Unreal game taught me that"

good call

Comment

A little up just to say that the PS 3 version will be a little delayed, right now I have problems cooking for the PS 3 ("Can't load GlobalPersistentPS3CookerData.upk" or something like that...). I'm doing a little research and I will try to provide a PS 3 version as soon as possible (same goes for my other recently released map DM-Phyos-SE).

Comment

You're not the only one having issues with cooking for the PS3. It currently has issues especially if your map contains content from the Titan Pack (I'm having issues, too).

Nice work, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by jayoplus View Post
                      You're not the only one having issues with cooking for the PS3. It currently has issues especially if your map contains content from the Titan Pack (I'm having issues, too).

Nice work, BTW.
                      Thanks

I don't recall using any Titan content in the map (I used some standard UN stuff and some Envy mixed with some HU...), I hope that they didn't change the content of the Envy packages though as I made pretty heavy usage of textures in there. But I'm pretty sure that the Titan content was stored in external packages.
                      The error from the cooking doesn't seem related to the Titan pack files though, it looks like it can't find the information on how to cook the map... weird :/

Comment

Any progress on the Ps3 cook yet?
                        Seeing Arise and Bonescraper, I can't wait fot this one.

Comment

As I posted on the BuF.
                          Nice map
                          Review

Comment

Originally posted by Kev_Boy View Post
                            This is a very cool little duel map, it has a nice fluent layout and the terrain is refreshing compared to what is usually architectural in these sorts of maps.
                            Agreed. XYZ8000 knows game play and this map doesn't disappoint. Granted it's a tight map, but that makes you pay attention a bit more. I can see this being a nice 1on1 map. The nature theme is refreshing to see as well.

On a side note, is it hard to get models from Blender to the editor?

I also noticed an odd collision issue near the waterfall.
                            This is not an issue with the cave, but another static mesh (StaticMeshACtor_562) that is causing the issue (which is pretty big problem since it's right in the middle of a populated place). I would also remove all collision for the water falls too.

Out of curiosity, what's the purpose having the BSP above the map?

Originally posted by XYZ8000 View Post
                            But I'm pretty sure that the Titan content was stored in external packages.
                            From what I can tell, all of it is stored in the UT3G folder inside the CookedPC folder. You might want to try reinstalling Frontend. After I installed the 2.0 patch, I had issues cooking for the PS3, reinstalled FE and it worked perfectly.

Looking forward to a 1.1 version to fix those collision issues to make this very nice map even better.

Comment

Just tested, nice visual, gj !

I like the subtil effect with the Udamage

I was a bit disapointed by the layout at the first time but after playing a bit, it's cool !
                              And I think this map is definitively for duel only.

I have notice some odd collisons trouble with the cave mesh on some place, but nothing really important.

Comment

Working...
                              X