Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-Ember / EmberX [UPDATED] [V2.0 -] [PICS]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DM-Ember / EmberX [UPDATED] [V2.0 -] [PICS]

Name: DM-Ember V2.0 {MSUC Phase 3 Honorable Mention}
    Version: 2.0
    Compatibility: V2.1

Description: A Deathmatch map which takes place in a remote refinery surrounded by a rocky dense forest.

Comments: This is my second map for UT3. I wanted to make a large multi-level map that provided as many path options for the player as possible. The map features some custom content and textures that I created. I've been working on this level for months now and hope that you'll enjoy playing it as much as I do. There are two maps now. DM-EmberX is the same as DM-Ember, but is mirrored and has an alternate sky/color scheme. Any questions or comments are appreciated.

Screenshot:

Credits: Myself (Ryan "Morg" Morgan) & Epic for making an amazing editor.
    CGtextures.com for some base textures.
    Anyone who's provided feedback on the forums.
    Homepage: www.unrealjunkie.com

2.0 Change Log:
    +Added/Tweaked blocking volumes

+Added/Tweaked lighting

+Added/Tweaked static meshes

+Added/Tweaked ambient sounds

+Removed all dynamic lighting and adjusted lift ambiance/shadows.

+Turned off lighting/shadows on all hidden BSP textures.

+Added material sound to custom floor material.

+Added/Tweaked outdoor lighting and slightly changed colors

+Removed cast shadows on most wall detail meshes

+Tweaked culling distance on more meshes.

+Created DM-EmberX (Mirrored Map with different lighting/sky)

--------------------
    DOWNLOAD - PC
    DM-Ember
    DM-Ember-V2 (Fileplanet)
    DM-Ember-V2 (FileFront)
    DM-Ember-V2 (UnrealJunkie)

DM-EmberX
    DM-EmberX-V2 (Fileplanet)
    DM-EmberX-V2 (FileFront)
    DM-EmberX-V2 (UnrealJunkie)

--------------------
    DOWNLOAD - PS3
    DM-Ember
    DM-Ember-V2-PS3 (Fileplanet)
    DM-Ember-V2-PS3 (FileFront)
    DM-Ember-V2-PS3 (UnrealJunkie)

DM-EmberX
    DM-EmberX-V2-PS3 (Fileplanet)
    DM-EmberX-V2-PS3 (FileFront)
    DM-EmberX-V2-PS3 (UnrealJunkie)

--------------------

Hey

It look very nice Only thing that don't fit IMO is the default walkway in the last pic (where the helmet is located). As for the rest, really nice

GL for MSUC

Comment

Would be a really good map visually if it had colors other than brown.

not that bad for a second map though

Comment

Originally posted by Ignotium View Post
        Would be a really good map visually if it had colors other than brown.

not that bad for a second map though

Thanks. Yeah.. there are some other colored lights in other parts of the map, but the screenshots I chose do make it look pretty brown and bland all over.

Comment

Absolutely exquisite—easily one of the best large DM maps to come through in quite awhile. For anyone browsing through, you've really got to download and have a run through this level; the screenshots are quite nice but don't do it justice at all.

The design is pleasantly complex without being pointlessly labyrinthine like others sometimes are. There are dozens of interesting routes, jump paths, and lines-of-sight that I'm sure will make for some very satisfying gameplay for players of all skill levels. Pickups seem nicely dispersed and well thought out, as are the very smartly placed lifts. It will take hours, not minutes, for even the best players to master this map's geometry, which is a good thing in my view.

Regarding color, lord knows UT3 provided precious little out of the box, so I've usually been one to drone against monochromatic levels, but I think this is a rare case of drab done right. For DM especially, I find color is usually best used as a landmark to help orient players, but such use is really needed only in levels whose geometry is otherwise repetitive and unremarkable, which this map is not at all. Not that another few splashes of color wouldn't hurt, as long as it complements the theme, but I don't think it's necessary by any means.

Excellent work Morg, this is pro-quality hands down. I really hope you score some cash with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Poker View Post
            Absolutely exquisite—easily one of the best large DM maps to come through in quite awhile. For anyone browsing through, you've really got to download and have a run through this level; the screenshots are quite nice but don't do it justice at all.

The design is pleasantly complex without being pointlessly labyrinthine like others sometimes are. There are dozens of interesting routes, jump paths, and lines-of-sight that I'm sure will make for some very satisfying gameplay for players of all skill levels. Pickups seem nicely dispersed and well thought out, as are the very smartly placed lifts. It will take hours, not minutes, for even the best players to master this map's geometry, which is a good thing in my view.

Regarding color, lord knows UT3 provided precious little out of the box, so I've usually been one to drone against monochromatic levels, but I think this is a rare case of drab done right. For DM especially, I find color is usually best used as a landmark to help orient players, but such use is really needed only in levels whose geometry is otherwise repetitive and unremarkable, which this map is not at all. Not that another few splashes of color wouldn't hurt, as long as it complements the theme, but I don't think it's necessary by any means.

Excellent work Morg, this is pro-quality hands down. I really hope you score some cash with this.

I really appreciate the comment! Makes me feel like the many months working on this actually payed off...

Comment

Looks pretty nice.

Comment

I like the look and the color a lot. It's brown, but not the dirty gray-brown that so many stock maps are like.

And the flow is fantastic. It's a great layout. I did notice that over by the helmet, the huge window isn't blocked off. It's behind some boxes so it's a less-trafficked area but once you step out there, you're falling until you console suicide.

Other than that, fantastic work. I love this week!

Comment

*much applause*

Fantastic work. The map looks great, flows great, and maintains great performance throughout. This one is certainly staying on my hard drive!

Comment

Yes, a really solid map with excellent gameplay. And the brown doesn't bother me one bit.

Comment

Originally posted by tidu View Post
                      I like the look and the color a lot. It's brown, but not the dirty gray-brown that so many stock maps are like.

And the flow is fantastic. It's a great layout. I did notice that over by the helmet, the huge window isn't blocked off. It's behind some boxes so it's a less-trafficked area but once you step out there, you're falling until you console suicide.

Other than that, fantastic work. I love this week!

Thanks for catching that.. I must have forgot to actually add the blocking volume after I moved my builder brush there... It's funny... I spend all this time extruding and positioning the builder brush just right only to forget to click the blocking volume button after I'm done! I've done that way too many times this past week. I'm going to blame it on total lack of sleep...

Comment

Good map but system resources hungry!

Comment

This map plays great, it has the classic feel of a UT map, and has great graphics - win-win situation. I love it! It also runs pretty well for me relative to other maps.

Comment

a good solid map with an excellent gameplay!
                            The graphic setting from the outdoor areas remember me a little of vCTF-Infection Forest

--------------------------
                            Mirror + HD-Video (Flyby)

http://www.ut-x.net/View-document-de...-DM-Ember.html
                            or
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM230BJtg88&fmt=22
                            --------------------------

Comment

I do like the map over all, as most others have mentioned. Very nice layout with matching visuals and atmosphere. You choose a "happy brown", so that works well too.

Originally posted by lowenz View Post
                              Good map but system resources hungry!
                              Originally posted by =assassin= View Post
                              It also runs pretty well for me relative to other maps.
                              I have to agree with the first quote and wonder about the second one as this map performs too low compared to other maps, especially considering the map's layout.

I took a quick look at the map in the editor and can see a few areas that could really help. I also found a few other minor issues. If you are planning on making an a version 1.1, I will let you know my thoughts.

But as the map stands now (the poor performance), it's not worth playing compared to other maps. But I do hope that changes...

Comment

Working...
                              X