Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-GRD-Pulse [Updated May 15, 09]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-GRD-Pulse [Updated May 15, 09]

Name: CTF-GRD-Pulse
    Version: 1.1
    Compatibility: 2.1
    Description: The Experimental Station For Artificial Gravity Research (referred to by its former code name 'Pulse') has long surpassed it's decommission deadline set by the Liandri Corporation. Its continuous operation has now created a black whole directly above the station, yet normal gravity is still sustained. In recent years, the Pulse station has been refited with CTF flags and is now frequently used for tournaments, despite the faulty wiring causing massive outputs of energy when the flags are disturbed.

Comments: This map gets a bit noisy, so keep the volume down
    Screenshot:

Credits: Myself, Talbot for assistance in the layout, Odedge, leakingpaint and others who have replied to my threads and offered feedback, Hourences website for the README file template and Bersy's greed video for the idea.

Homepage:http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=675383
    Download: http://www.fileplanet.com/200331/200...CTF-GRD-Pulse.
    You can cook it for PS3, but do it yourself and post a link here

The final version is available!

Comment

Do not download until further notice!!
      Edit-See below

Comment

The map is now ok to dl! Happy fragging!
        Edit- I am uploading some screenies now for those who haven't seen the alpha versions.

Comment

Images added

Comment

map look good

Comment

Have you actually played it, or were you just looking at the screenshots?

Comment

Well, what does everyone think of it? I know there are at least 10 of you who downloaded it, so what gives?

Comment

Could someone cook this for the PS3 users?

Comment

Originally posted by Superking17 View Post
                    Well, what does everyone think of it? I know there are at least 10 of you who downloaded it, so what gives?
                    I would be interested to know the ration of downloads to feedback. I bet it's about 10 to 1.

Could someone cook this for the PS3 users?
                    You know, it's really easy to cook a map for the PS3. As far as I know, the only limitation is that you can't have custom sounds. Check out this thread for more info. You will need to download the FrontEnd program from Epic, but it's a small download.

While the first release of this map had some issues, the second was much improved. As promised, here is my feedback for making this map even better.

I do like the layout out of the map, especially for Greed. At certain points, you have to watch when you kill some one as your skulls may fall down below you. This adds a nice decision making aspect to the map.

If you have any questions or comments about my feedback, just let me know. Also, when ever you release a map to the public and you make some changes, it should have a different filename. Even if you make one small change, the two files are not compatible.

In addition, I would make the naming of your .zip folder a bit more basic (CTF-GRD-Pulse, then CTF-GRD-Pulsev1.1, etc). You also don't need to place all of the files into another folder inside the zip folder. Don't take these comments as a complaining, just trying to make things a bit more polished as I seem to be in constant beta testing mode.

Comment

Ok, here is what I will try to change. If I omitted any issues, I didn't have anything to say about them and will fix them.
                      3. Ok, I'll put in some link guns and bio rifles.
                      4. Without the gray effect, you can't see the neat black hole mesh. Can you suggest an effect to replace the gray thing?
                      6. Yeah, I finally found that. I think I can fix it by moving the vertices around.
                      13. I thought I fixed that already. Whatever, I'll fix it again. Btw, there was never any dof enabled, maybe it is the heightfog.
                      15. Sorry, I thought those were causing that invisible surface you mentioned earlier, so I turned the collision off. I'll turn it back on.
                      17. ****, I'll see what I can do about it.
                      18. I tried that once, but it didn't look right. I'll consider the team colours thing, I can to it easily in kismet.
                      20. If all of the mini icons (btw, I think they are just team symbols in CTF) are touched, the flag laser effect is activated, so the losing team that is stuck at the bottom can wipe out the players camping at the top. The damage is supposed to be a risk factor, and I may reduce it.
                      Yes, I did all of the kismet from scratch. I am just pro for some reason
                      21. There is no preview pic, not enough time (I submitted the map at 10pm on friday. I did take one preview pic, but later I found out that I was inside the floor when I took it and it was obvious if you looked closely.
                      22. I will reduce the shaking effect so it is noticeable, but not terrible.
                      23. Where can I change the footstep sounds?
                      24. The reason the engine sound is so wide spread is that there are two instances of it playing. One ambient in the centre, and one that plays everywhere (a sound node in kismet with no target does that) instead of having a music track. Once I get more ambient sounds in, I can get rid of the everywhere sound instance.
                      25. Those are probably the alarms. They play when something flag or control panel (the ones that damage you) related occurs. If that isn't it, it is probably some random machine noises. I will put in some captions later.
                      31. I will probably teleport the flag caper to safety then play a 3-5 sec audio warning so some players can escape. That way, if you get stuck in the centre, it's your own fault.

Comment

4. Without the gray effect, you can't see the neat black hole mesh. Can you suggest an effect to replace the gray thing?
                        To me, it doesn't blend well with the red color. It seems like red vortex effect (which also has some other colors in it) would be enough since it's animated.

6. Yeah, I finally found that. I think I can fix it by moving the vertices around.
                        Probably that should fix it. If not, you could make the wall from multiple brushes?

13. I thought I fixed that already. Whatever, I'll fix it again. Btw, there was never any dof enabled, maybe it is the heightfog.
                        I just mentioned depth of field as an example. I do think the bloom is way to high and is distracting. These types of effects should be subtle.

17. ****, I'll see what I can do about it.
                        You know the map the best, so good luck with it. I couldn't see anything that would be causing it. My guess is that it's some BSP error? make sure your BSP are snapped to the grid and don't intersect each other.

18. I tried that once, but it didn't look right. I'll consider the team colours thing, I can to it easily in kismet.
                        A light green might work if it's going to remain a constant color.. You can always change it to a team color if the team is in the lead (assuming it can be done in Kismet).

20. If all of the mini icons (btw, I think they are just team symbols in CTF) are touched, the flag laser effect is activated, so the losing team that is stuck at the bottom can wipe out the players camping at the top. The damage is supposed to be a risk factor, and I may reduce it.
                        Hmm, in Greed, it just causes damage to the player, which is very confusing and there is no warning.

Yes, I did all of the kismet from scratch. I am just pro for some reason
                        lol. My next map, I want to focus on really learning Kismet more than I have.

22. I will reduce the shaking effect so it is noticeable, but not terrible.
                        Is it tied to an event or is it a random thing?

23. Where can I change the footstep sounds?
                        For meshes:

1. Load the PhysicalMaterial package that is already in the generic browser list.
                        2. Open up it's properties, expand Collision, expand CollisionComponent, expand Physics.
                        3. Select which Physics material you want.
                        4. In the Physics section, there is a PhysMaterialOverride, select the green arrow button.

For Materials:

1. Right click in the background of the Generic Browser and select New MaterialInstanceConstant.

2. Choose your map name for the Package, a group (if needed) and a unique Name. This will open up the MIC Editor.

3. Select the original material you used. Then, in the Parent field, select the green arrow button.

4. Pick your Physics Material like you did for the mesh and in the PhysMaterial field, select the green arrow.

5. Find the original texture in your map, select it and then press Shift+T on your keyboard. This will select the same texture every where on your map.

6. Now apply your new MaterialInstanceConstant. With MIC, you don't have to duplicate the entire material and will reduce your file size.

Granted, I have never used this technique as I have duplicated materials in the past, but it should work just fine.

24. The reason the engine sound is so wide spread is that there are two instances of it playing. One ambient in the centre, and one that plays everywhere (a sound node in kismet with no target does that) instead of having a music track. Once I get more ambient sounds in, I can get rid of the everywhere sound instance.
                        OK, that explains it. For the ambient in the center, depending on how big and loud the sound is, that should work fine. The actual actor should be placed under the grating in the middle of the map as this should be the sound source.

Having any sound being played all the time at one volume level is usually a bad thing.

25. Those are probably the alarms. They play when something flag or control panel (the ones that damage you) related occurs. If that isn't it, it is probably some random machine noises. I will put in some captions later.
                        Well, they aren't alarms. When I was practicing Kismet, they are the sound that is made when you output text to the screen (to tell you what's going on in Kismet). Either way, they don't make any sense to the player and are rather annoying.

31. I will probably teleport the flag caper to safety then play a 3-5 sec audio warning so some players can escape. That way, if you get stuck in the centre, it's your own fault.
                        Sounds good, at least that will give the players near the center a better chance of not dying.

Looking forward to the changes. Take your time and make the next release a solid one. Good luck..

Comment

4. I'll experiment a bit and post pictures so everyone can take their pick of the best one.
                          18. I don't know how to change the colours like that, and remember, those are emitters, and I have zero experience with the Cascade editor.
                          20. Did you touch all of them? I think there are six.
                          22. Both. It is triggered during significant events and randomly as well.
                          25. Now I get it. If it beeps, something is inside the danger zone (ie. where the lasers can kill you). Before releasing the map, I deleted all the kismet hooks (I think that is the right term for things like codes used only for testing) and I guess I forgot that one.

Comment

I have began the improved version! I would have started sooner, but I have had a crapload of school projects lately.

Comment

I have gotten the new kismet done!! The panels now do no damage, and there is a 3 second delay (just short enough to prevent double scoring, but barely long enough to get the hell out of the way) and an alarm before the lazer effect. I have also gotten some new sounds!!

Comment

Working...
                              X