Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camera Control - adjust vehicle camera distance with the mouse wheel [version 2]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera Control - adjust vehicle camera distance with the mouse wheel [version 2]

Camera Control
    Version 2.0, 2009-04-28, no changes from beta 1.4.

Adjust the vehicle camera distance with the mouse wheel.

[shot]http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/9098/cameracontrolfurythirdpwp0.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/6769/cameracontrolfuryfirstpst8.jpg[/shot]
    [shot]http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/8167/cameracontroldarkwalkeram0.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7195/cameracontrolnemesiscroln1.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/5812/cameracontrolcicada1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8488/cameracontrolgoliath1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/7554/cameracontrolnemesis1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/7844/cameracontrolraptor1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6164/cameracontrolscavenger1.jpg[/shot] [shot]http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/7580/cameracontrolscorpion1.jpg[/shot]

Annoyed by the extreme close-up of the vehicle camera? Want a better view of where you are driving/walking/hovering? Always wanted to know what the rear side of your vehicle looks like? Wondering who you're towing? Then fear not; with a simple flick of the mouse wheel, you too can zoom in or out to your preferred viewing distance.

This mutator offers between four and six camera presets for each vehicle, ranging from right-on-the-nose or aiming-down-the-barrel "first person" cameras to UT2004 style and long-distance third person cameras that provide a view of the entire vehicle.

The game will store your preferred settings in the following config file:

Config\UTCameraControl.ini

As a special bonus feature the Nemesis now supports "looksteer" in lowered mode; it will turn to where you move the mouse. It still supports keyboard steering, which will override mouse steering.

Epic actually implemented this feature somewhere along the game's development but subsequently disabled it. I cannot really understand why, since it seems to work well enough. Probably has something to do with consoles (as per usual). I re-enabled it and tweaked it around a bit so you don't have to scroll so much.

Be sure to check out some of the details that may have escaped your attention thus far:
    • The Cicada is actually quite tall.
    • The Darkwalker blows heat and black smoke out of the back of its guns when it fires and has a complex hinge mechanism that controls the shape of its body.
    • The Fury has unused tri-barreled guns on its shoulders.
    • The Goliath has tiny flames coming from its exhaust pipes.
    • The Hellbender and Scorpion have red and white rear lights that indicate braking and reversing.
    • The Manta has flames coming from its exhaust pipes.
    • The Nemesis looks pretty compact in crouched mode and its powerball flares up in raised mode.
    • The Raptor has a special fin on its back that Hoverboards grapple onto.
    • The Scorpion has a modelled cockpit interior.
    • The Viper has several complex hinge mechanisms that control the shape of its body.
    The following console command has been added as an alternative to summonv (as summonv will not summon Camera Control vehicles):

mutate vehiclename

...where vehiclename is the name of the vehicle you wish to summon. For instance, the following command will summon a Camera Control Nemesis:

mutate nemesis

The Src folder contains the source code, in case anyone is interested.

Compatibility
    • Tested offline.
    • Widescreen support has not yet been tested.
    • This mutator replaces the default vehicles with camera-controllable versions, so it is not compatible with other mutators that replace vehicles.
    Credits
    • Epic for writing the basic system.
    • Farseer for pointing out the important bits.
    • Me for writing the mutator.
    Download (includes source code)
    MediaFire
    FileFront

PS3 cook not (yet?) available. Feel free to cook it for me. Just let me know about it and don't make any unauthorized changes to my work.

Installation instructions provided in the Readme in the download. Basically, place the UTGame folder in your My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 folder.

Feedback appreciated!

First of all, thanks for all that you do. And also, let me apologize for anything here that's not new, that I should have caught sooner.

1. It seems that when using Camera Control, (CC) your hoverboard will not be affected by the 'speed boost pads' (?), that are embedded in some maps, like War-Corruption for example.

Sorry, not sure exactly what those are called, but they are the little pads built into the map that have flashing arrows on them, and when you fly the hoverboard over them, they greatly increase your speed. Probably should have noticed this sooner, but CC'd hoverboards don't seem to be affected by them, and this is online or offline.

(makes me think there is at least the potential for same 'bug' in ClassicVCTF mutator, but I'm trying to think of a VCTF map that has those booster pads to check it out with)

2. When using CC with the Stealthbender, I am seeing something weird with my aiming. This only seems to happen when I am scrolled Out to a wider view, but instead of firing where I am aiming at... the thing seems to fire way up in the air, and sorta backwards. As if I'm aiming at something really high in the air behind myself.

Oddly enough, I've only seen this offline - at least so far. But I saw it in VCTF-Stranded, and WAR-Confrontation.

I will continue to do more testing as time permits. Thanks again!

Edit:

3. I think there might be some weird behavior going on when using CC in the 2nd seat of a vehicle. Going to be looking into that more today.

Comment

Great little mutator. I never play without it. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by R.Flagg View Post
        let me apologize for anything here that's not new, that I should have caught sooner.
        Hey, don't apologize for catching anything at all! It's a big help, if not for this version, then for the next.

your hoverboard will not be affected by the 'speed boost pads' (?), that are embedded in some maps, like War-Corruption for example.
        You mean Avalanche, I bet. Corruption is a VCTF map, and has no such boost pads that I know of.

Indeed... argh. They no longer work. That is a bit of a problem. Seems the hoverboard class is hardcoded into the map itself. Way to go, Epic. However, looks like I can fix it.

When using CC with the Stealthbender, I am seeing something weird with my aiming. This only seems to happen when I am scrolled Out to a wider view
        ****, you're absolutely right. Same problem as with the Nightshade... which cannot zoom out very far for that exact reason. Will fix in next version.

there might be some weird behavior going on when using CC in the 2nd seat of a vehicle.
        Yeah... there's a tiny little problem where the code cannot differentiate between who in the vehicle scrolls the mouse wheel... passenger or otherwise. Again, great coding decision by Epic.

Comment

It seems while using this that I cannot do the altfire zoom when in Goliath or Nemesis. Or, at least most of the time I cannot. Offline and online.

(any more vehicles with this function? ... hmmm...)

Still playing. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Great, a new version

THX for this update

Comment

So far seems to be working online with patch 2.1 just fine.

I've only done a few minutes of testing so far, but not noticing any new problems yet.

I still have the same issue with altfire zoom in the tank (haven't checked Nemesis yet).

Just fyi.

(btw - ditto for ClassicVCTF. so far so good in 2.1)

Edit: Well, except for the fact that now I can't seem to change maps. But I removed the mutators, and I still can't change maps, so I don't think it's them. Again, just FYI. Still messing with it. Might be a new bug with the patch?

Comment

I know about the altfire thing (Nemesis, Goliath). I wonder if I should try to keep supporting that or simply make altfire switch to the "down the barrel" perspective.

I haven't tried patch 2.1 yet.

Comment

I'd love someone to cook this!
                  I think it would be kind of hard though. Like what on the PS3 would replace the Scroll wheel?

Comment

Hi, Xyx!
                    I'm ready to put your great mutator on my public servers, but bound with known bugs (hoverboard boosts and alt-fire of tank/nemezis).
                    Are you still working with it?

Also check PM plz!

Comment

Excellent mutator
                      BTW, i modified this mutator compatible with my custom vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by voila View Post
                        Hi, Xyx!
                        I'm ready to put your great mutator on my public servers, but bound with known bugs (hoverboard boosts and alt-fire of tank/nemezis).
                        Are you still working with it?

Also check PM plz!
                        Yes I too experience that the Goliath zoom is not working.

Comment

OK, here's what happens with the Goliath and Nemesis zooms... it is a bit borked. If the vehicle is moving you cannot zoom after a camera adjust. It goes to zoom but makes a small adjustment then goes back to before you pressed zoom key. However, if you stop the vehicle and then adjust the camera a step forward or back once or more times, the zoom works again until you move the vehicle at which point it is again borked-ified.

... end report.

Comment

Is there a plan for a fix?

Comment

guess not

Comment

Working...
                              X