Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-Niven [Final][PC][Pics]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Niven [Final][PC][Pics]

Name: CTF-Niven

Version: Classic Edition
    Compatibility: PC
    Description: Remake of CTF-Niven from UT99

Credits: Remade by sneh.
    Original by Alan 'Talisman' Willard (Epic Games)

Servers - Additional packages required..
    RipperLite v2

[SCREENSHOT]http://static2.filefront.com/images/personal/s/sneh17/162970/ormpsyifbq.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] [SCREENSHOT]http://static.filefront.com/images/personal/s/sneh17/162970/qeukwmafpv.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
    [SCREENSHOT]http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/s/sneh17/162970/gsswmjblil.jpg[/SCREENSHOT] [SCREENSHOT]http://static1.filefront.com/images/personal/s/sneh17/162970/rbreywvlbj.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

The original

wow i like this map thx for the ut3 remake

Comment

Great job... CTF-Niven was always one of my favourite maps in UT99

Thanks for the map

Comment

Wow finally....a Niven remake!
        Myself and a few others I know have been longing for a remake of this map forever, Thank You!

just a few things to point out:

1. First and foremost the map seems too dark. It would be nice if it were brighter....on par with UT99.

2. One thing I've always disliked about the original was the 1-chest armor and 1-thigh pad for the other base. I've always thought it would be better if both bases had chest armor.

3. I probably would have just used a link gun or another stinger in place of the ripper, but the custom ripper is decent.

4. The doors don't seem quite as responsive as the original. At times while the doors are in the process of shutting, they continue to do so in your face, even though you approach them. I don't seem to recall that in the original, but it's been awhile since I played the UT99 version.

just my 2 cents.....thanks.

Comment

Awesome! + feedback / bug-report

I've been waiting for this for a long time. Excellent work, played it last night on several different builds and it ran well on all of them, the map flows well and plays well, its very authentic to the original which is almost spooky the way it brought back memories, its incredible on this unreal engine.

As i said i played it and tested it on several different systems and found a problem with lan play, it attempts to send a package and fails every time, even if the map is installed locally on each machine individually.

Everything else works fine on my lan and with my server and such.

Comment

The map looks too dark like said above. And is that fog in the blue base? I suggest taking out the fog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrn View Post
              The map looks too dark like said above. And is that fog in the blue base? I suggest taking out the fog.
              Looks fine on all of the 5 machines i tested it on last night and today.

Maybe turn up your brightness?

Comment

I had fun playing this.

Comment

Thanks all for some constructive feedback

Originally posted by M-M-MonsterKill! View Post
                  4. The doors don't seem quite as responsive as the original. At times while the doors are in the process of shutting, they continue to do so in your face, even though you approach them. I don't seem to recall that in the original, but it's been awhile since I played the UT99 version.
                  It's true, the door's don't quite work the way they should!!
                  Short answer - this is a limitation of UT3, and it's a miracle this map even has doors at all TBH.

I finally figured out a way to stop major bugs, but the compromise was that the doors cannot open until they fully close and cannot close until fully open.
                  Unfortunately, unless Epic fixes the trigger system, it's this way or no doors at all

Originally posted by Mrn View Post
                  I can release a v1.1 with changes like this.

The fog was one of the last things I added, and I knew a lot of people wouldn't like it. (even I'm not 100% on it).
                  I can remove the fog, and increase the brightness for a second edition

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
                    As i said i played it and tested it on several different systems and found a problem with lan play, it attempts to send a package and fails every time, even if the map is installed locally on each machine individually.
                    It might be the Ripper package? Even though it's cooked into the map, and you don't need the separate package to play locally, I think for LAN the server needs to have the separate package files..

The ripper files are here : RipperLite v2

(and if that doesn't work, then maybe each person needs to already have the files as well)

Besides that, there shouldn't be any other external packages required at all..
                    EDIT: Oh, please let me know if it is looking for "_snehFlares.upk" because that happened with another map until I fixed it - but shouldn't happen with this map because I already knew about the problem and tried to avoid it in the first place.

Comment

a little dark, could live with it though... main thing is if you do another version i would suggest doing it without the ripper and just add a different weap, g00 or flak maybe. having it force a weapon dl for a map is a potential problem and would cause it to be played less online imho so maybe the next version could be with the above updates and no ripper? either way, nice job - thx!

Comment

Originally posted by UnrealGrrl View Post
                        having it force a weapon dl for a map is a potential problem and would cause it to be played less online imho so maybe the next version could be with the above updates and no ripper? either way, nice job - thx!
                        I might replace it with the Flak..

I'm still unsure how servers work with custom content.. I mean, you only need to download the map and it has the ripper cooked into it already (no other files needed) - but then the same thing on a server, and suddenly it can't find an external file..
                        I don't understand why it works this way, and it's frustrating because I can't personally test it in a server "environment".

(I test all my maps on my old computer, with pure vanilla UT3 v1.0 and no other mods except the single map file i'm testing at the time)

Comment

Replacing the Ripper with another Stinger would be my first choice. That way it's balanced with the blue base.

Using Flak, it's possible one base will be easier or harder to defend than the other. I initially would have liked the link gun, but on second thought I could imagine spamming the primary fire down those tunnels all day long, defending the base.

I would have also used chest armor for both bases.....again everything would be simple and balanced.

Comment

Can not get this to work on my ZP instagib server because of the ripper.

Comment

Link seems to be dead.

Comment

Working...
                              X