No announcement yet.

DM-Beesting_SE [PC][PICS][DOWNLOAD][PS3 coming soon]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

glad to hear it freaky1 I was a bit out of practice with the external package, and messed it up a couple of times, was thinking maybe id saved something where i shouldnt. The new version is an improvement IMO so im glad your able to update.

Thank you 1337 sniper for the very helpful info you sent me, i still plan on looking into this. However atm im finding the learning curve necessary to make pentacost very hard and time consuming and im having a hard time even getting to the optimized\texture enhanced version of carnage cathedral ive planned. Im hoping that ill have a better grasp of things shortly and the chewed up days of getting nowhere or not far will stop.

Comment

Just in case you thought Carnage was psychedelic, the inside of this map is even more psychedelic! The inside is almost too much and needs a bit of toning down. It's hard to tell exactly where you are in this one, especially on the inside, but TDM is fun. Definitely a very different map and good use of the colors outside, but the sky needs work (can see seams). Looks like this one is a floating island and can tell definitely while flying.

Comment

Cheers for the feedback SkaarjMaster. The inside colour was toned down a bit actually between the orig. and SE release. The skydome join is due to me not being able to find a full skydome in the UT3 assets, so had to join 2 together :/ In pentecost I made my own full dome to resolve this problem. There is unlikely to be an update for this map at this stage sorry. There just isnt enough community interest to justify the labour unfortunately. After spending a year making pentecost to be released into indifference, mapping has left a bad taste in my mouth. Thanks for your feedback, its always nice to see some response to your efforts =)

Comment

Pentecost? Well, I guess there's another one I missed. I'll check that one out soon.

Comment

http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?di...eesting_SE.rar

Comment

Tryed this one dom but I think it's much better in DM or TDM.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts Zerglings, I am working on a new DOM version atm to be included with the upcoming UT3DOM 5.0. Hopefully you'll like the new Control Point layout. Also despite my last post there will also be another DM release, addressing some community requests IE skydome seam and external mapstinger package. These changes will also be reflected in the DOM version as well as a new CP layout and minor item changes.

Thanks for the mirror skillz I havent added it to the OP as there will be an updated version soon.... so sorry

Comment

Maybe I am just being nitpicky, but again I find myself wondering exactly what the phrase "I will update this to version 3 soon" is doing in the "full releases" section.

Endless tweaking should have been done during the beta phase, no? I understand that it is hard to walk away from a project and label it 'done' when we feel it still could be better, but really...at some point, you have to let it be.

Again, sorry to complain OP and your work is appreciated, truly cool (really great map) and clearly you have worked hard, but this is indeed a forum for completed works, not works in progress.

Comment

Frag: looks very cool .. (nice shadowing on the terrain, i'd like to know how you pulled that off so well) good job.

I'm not very fond of skies with purple/pinkish coloring but hey that's just a personal opinion, doesn't take anything away from your quality work.

Couple of things ..

I can clearly see your point, though consider this;

From a mappers point of view.

1. Often what happens is people never comment when a map is in the beta phase, but they do when they take time to DL & play the final, so author can address it or blow it off, personally i'd rather see authors support/enhance their releases where ever possible and they're interested in doing so.

2. As with the first point sometimes its a matter of a bug that gets discovered / reported, at which point the content needs an update, still doesn't happen very often (especially lately) even the bonus packs and various map packs, and full fledged professional games themselves have been through this scenario.

3. If someone wants to make an SE / night version, or do regular/annual updates, or what have you more power to them, - why complain? (not that your complaining - i'm just saying for all)

Sometimes it comes down to sheer attrition as far as what gets tested / and subsequently supported or not supported etc.

Comment

Me guilty of No. 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Demo View Post
                        Maybe I am just being nitpicky, but again I find myself wondering exactly what the phrase "I will update this to version 3 soon" is doing in the "full releases" section.

Endless tweaking should have been done during the beta phase, no? I understand that it is hard to walk away from a project and label it 'done' when we feel it still could be better, but really...at some point, you have to let it be.

Again, sorry to complain OP and your work is appreciated, truly cool (really great map) and clearly you have worked hard, but this is indeed a forum for completed works, not works in progress.
                        Thanks for your thoughts demo
                        The orig beesting was functional and complete and was a final release. It spent a lot of time in the beta's and had an alpha, beta and RC release.

The author of the UT3DOM mod helped me with the DOM release and I felt that significant improvements had been made to the map and so I updated the DM version to SE to include these improvements as a courtesy to the community. TBH I was playing the improved DM version for about 6 weeks before the SE release and was starting to feel guilty for holding it back from everyone else.

The skydome seam I was unable to fix during the SE release as there is no full skydome in UT3 only half domes. However I learnt how to create static meshes for pentecost as I have always wished to make unique maps not a reshuffle of stock assets. A full skydome is a very easy mesh to construct, so I built one, so that pentecost wouldnt have the skydome seam issues of beesting. As it turns out I was able to use the half domes for pentecost as its a much darker skydome and didnt show the seam. I still ended up using it for the moving clouds in the map however. I am reassessing beesting again as there is going to be an updated version for an update to UT3DOM (which was happening either way.) I am grateful to the people who have bothered to post there feelings on the map and therefore try to give them what they want if I see the merit in what they said (and the request is within my skill set).

Beesting and Beesting_SE are both functional full release maps. People who have these can not bother to update and continue to play their outdated versions happily without problems. version 3 will be relatively minor changes which are mainly community requests and I imagine many will be happy to stick to SE. It is about giving the people the CHOICE. Community mappers learn as they build maps and sometimes new knowledge makes them able to make their previous works better. Beesting is my second ever map for any video game ever, so obviously I had a lot of stuff to learn at this stage. Even right now there is a lot of areas that I would like to learn more about.

The reason that there is a warning that V3 is coming soon, is that many people operate under a download limit and would like the warning that they may be better off waiting for the new version. Once again a courtesy to the community. Nice people like yourself that take the time to tell you they enjoyed your map

I myself was on a 7GB a month download limit until a month ago and I certainly would have appreciated that warning if I was going to grab a copy of this map.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me you enjoyed the map. I always love to hear that the many many hours of work that went into constructing it were enjoyed I hope that I have nicely clarified why a V3 is coming, as your post is quite pleasant and I dont wish to seem rude, you dont deserve it. Basically its for the handfull that wanted something more, those that are happy with it as is are free to stick to there current version

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
                        Frag: looks very cool .. (nice shadowing on the terrain, i'd like to know how you pulled that off so well) good job.

I'm not very fond of skies with purple/pinkish coloring but hey that's just a personal opinion, doesn't take anything away from your quality work.

Couple of things ..

I can clearly see your point, though consider this;

From a mappers point of view.

1. Often what happens is people never comment when a map is in the beta phase, but they do when they take time to DL & play the final, so author can address it or blow it off, personally i'd rather see authors support/enhance their releases where ever possible and they're interested in doing so.

2. As with the first point sometimes its a matter of a bug that gets discovered / reported, at which point the content needs an update, still doesn't happen very often (especially lately) even the bonus packs and various map packs, and full fledged professional games themselves have been through this scenario.

3. If someone wants to make an SE / night version, or do regular/annual updates, or what have you more power to them, - why complain? (not that your complaining - i'm just saying for all)

Sometimes it comes down to sheer attrition as far as what gets tested / and subsequently supported or not supported etc.
                        Thanks 1Xtreme Its a lot of memory expensive light mapping lol Ive found the UDN lighting\ shwadowing tutorials very helpful with lighting. Skylights dont cast shadows, all you can do is stop them shining thru bsp and the like. So its easy to drown out your shadows from your directional light with skylights. In V3 Ive actually dimmed the skylights a little more and the shadows are a little harder accordingly. I find that one directional light and 2-3 skylights works really well for an outdoor scene, but by no means am I a lighting expert.

I understand about the pink\ purple but I was sick of seeing orange sunset maps and wanted something different I used a different skydome for penetcost and would like to do so again if there are any future maps from me, so I dont think your in much danger of seeing the pink again lol. However it does give this map a unique feel in my eyes and I have a 26GB collection of UT3 custom maps.

As to your comments from a mappers point of view. Id like to point out that I havent really considered any full release version of this map "buggy", they both are functional. It was extensively playtested as an alpha, beta, RC by me and beta's were supplied should the community wish to have their input at this stage. I do however agree with most of what you've what youve said

Originally posted by SkaarjMaster View Post
                        Me guilty of No. 1.
                        Pretty sure Ive seen you posting in the beta forums actually

Comment

Originally posted by FragTastic View Post
                          Community mappers learn as they build maps and sometimes new knowledge makes them able to make their previous works better.
                          Exactly!

Thanks 1Xtreme Its a lot of memory expensive light mapping lol Ive found the UDN lighting\ shwadowing tutorials very helpful with lighting. Skylights dont cast shadows, all you can do is stop them shining thru bsp and the like. So its easy to drown out your shadows from your directional light with skylights. In V3 Ive actually dimmed the skylights a little more and the shadows are a little harder accordingly. I find that one directional light and 2-3 skylights works really well for an outdoor scene, but by no means am I a lighting expert.

I understand about the pink\ purple but I was sick of seeing orange sunset maps and wanted something different I used a different skydome for penetcost and would like to do so again if there are any future maps from me, so I dont think your in much danger of seeing the pink again lol. However it does give this map a unique feel in my eyes and I have a 26GB collection of UT3 custom maps.

As to your comments from a mappers point of view. Id like to point out that I havent really considered any full release version of this map "buggy", they both are functional. It was extensively playtested as an alpha, beta, RC by me and beta's were supplied should the community wish to have their input at this stage. I do however agree with most of what you've what youve said
                          Frag! (thx for the response) - you are one of my favorite DM mappers, you've got the mapping ability and the attitude/people skills to match it. Kudos ..

I'd like to make it perfectly clear that i was in no way suggesting, or insinuating that your map(s) had any bugs and should not have been final. - I think my comments were intended more as a blanket statement (in general).

Though sometimes for some of us we might be interested in updating a release simply for enhancements , a visual upgrade, optimizations, etc. - certainly isn't limited to correcting problems. I think my point was that sometimes for various reasons even the clearly obviously bugged maps aren't supported in many cases and peeps are stuck with what they get, hope that explanation makes sense.

Couldn't agree more about giving the community choices .. .

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts demo
                            The orig beesting was functional and complete and was a final release. It spent a lot of time in the beta's and had an alpha, beta and RC release.

The author of the UT3DOM mod helped me with the DOM release and I felt that significant improvements had been made to the map and so I updated the DM version to SE to include these improvements as a courtesy to the community. TBH I was playing the improved DM version for about 6 weeks before the SE release and was starting to feel guilty for holding it back from everyone else.

The skydome seam I was unable to fix during the SE release as there is no full skydome in UT3 only half domes. However I learnt how to create static meshes for pentecost as I have always wished to make unique maps not a reshuffle of stock assets. A full skydome is a very easy mesh to construct, so I built one, so that pentecost wouldnt have the skydome seam issues of beesting. As it turns out I was able to use the half domes for pentecost as its a much darker skydome and didnt show the seam. I still ended up using it for the moving clouds in the map however. I am reassessing beesting again as there is going to be an updated version for an update to UT3DOM (which was happening either way.) I am grateful to the people who have bothered to post there feelings on the map and therefore try to give them what they want if I see the merit in what they said (and the request is within my skill set).

Beesting and Beesting_SE are both functional full release maps. People who have these can not bother to update and continue to play their outdated versions happily without problems. version 3 will be relatively minor changes which are mainly community requests and I imagine many will be happy to stick to SE. It is about giving the people the CHOICE. Community mappers learn as they build maps and sometimes new knowledge makes them able to make their previous works better. Beesting is my second ever map for any video game ever, so obviously I had a lot of stuff to learn at this stage. Even right now there is a lot of areas that I would like to learn more about.

The reason that there is a warning that V3 is coming soon, is that many people operate under a download limit and would like the warning that they may be better off waiting for the new version. Once again a courtesy to the community. Nice people like yourself that take the time to tell you they enjoyed your map

I myself was on a 7GB a month download limit until a month ago and I certainly would have appreciated that warning if I was going to grab a copy of this map.

Thank you for taking the time to tell me you enjoyed the map. I always love to hear that the many many hours of work that went into constructing it were enjoyed I hope that I have nicely clarified why a V3 is coming, as your post is quite pleasant and I dont wish to seem rude, you dont deserve it. Basically its for the handfull that wanted something more, those that are happy with it as is are free to stick to there current version
                            A man of character. Thanks you mate for your cool-headed response. Again, great stuff....heck, I can't even make a box for UT, so who am I to complain?

All the best then...

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
                              Exactly!

Frag! (thx for the response) - you are one of my favorite DM mappers, you've got the mapping ability and the attitude/people skills to match it. Kudos ..

I'd like to make it perfectly clear that i was in no way suggesting, or insinuating that your map(s) had any bugs and should not have been final. - I think my comments were intended more as a blanket statement (in general).

Though sometimes for some of us we might be interested in updating a release simply for enhancements , a visual upgrade, optimizations, etc. - certainly isn't limited to correcting problems. I think my point was that sometimes for various reasons even the clearly obviously bugged maps aren't supported in many cases and peeps are stuck with what they get, hope that explanation makes sense.

Couldn't agree more about giving the community choices .. .
                              Thanks 1xtreme, but kudos to you as well as you have maps in your sig and are also a very pleasant person Thank you for your kind comments. I dont very often get told im one of someones favourite mappers, so I was genuinely delighted by your comment. I didnt take offence just didnt want to create the impression that people have to update their beesting SE because it doesnt work, thats all

Actually TBH the orig beesting did have its flaws due to being rushed out for MSU. I am not perfect and would have drowned if other more knowledgeable people had not helped me out. I kind of jumped in the deep end with all 3 maps in one way or another and would not have been able to complete any of them without the help of the people in the tech creds. I am extremely grateful to these people. I have much to learn and there are way more knowledgeable folks than me amongst the community. So I am aware that my works are not perfect. So there is not really an ego problem for me. I know that I am not perfect or infallible.

Originally posted by Demo View Post
                              A man of character. Thanks you mate for your cool-headed response. Again, great stuff....heck, I can't even make a box for UT, so who am I to complain?

All the best then...
                              You deserved a respectful response for a reasonably asked question. My pleasure and best wishes to yourself
                              I was also that person who couldnt make a box in UT before I started carnage cathedral. Everyone's been there....

[EDIT] If any of this doesnt make sense im sorry but ive been up for about 36hrs, due to buying an alienware notebook last night and then doing an all night research session to figure out whether to get a Core2Quad or i7 processor for it. So mentally im pretty shabby atm lol

Comment

Very cool map. Only thing I don't like is the sky has some ugly seams in it.

Still, great stuff, I think this is your best map FragTastic.

Comment

Working...
                                X