Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UPDATED 1/22/10: DM/CTF-Hang 'em High 1.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UPDATED 1/22/10: DM/CTF-Hang 'em High 1.1

Name: Hang 'Em High

Version: 1.01

Compatibility: Ut3 Patch 3

Description: I feel that this is perhaps the final version of the map, however i didn't get as much feedback as i would have liked, and i'm not to confident in my skills alone to get every bug or overlooked brush work correct, so if you guys spot Anything at all that you don't agree with, please feel free to leave a comment! However, this map is solid, plays well, and is very bot friendly.
    -I pretty much set out to recreate the most geometrically perfect recreation of my favorite map from Halo CE. With the help of Halo: Custom Edition, and some wonderful modding tools, i don't think anybody will get much closer. This is just the beta, I'm looking for bugs with the AI, and also, i'm not entirely content with the way the weapons are lied out across the map. Besides, the Halo is missing. xD Any feedback would be most appreciated!

Readme: Just toss in your "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps" folder.

Hang em High and ALL the diffuse textures used here are credit of Bungie and Microsoft. They were exported from HaloCE thanks to the help of the Halo Editing Kit and the Halo Bitmap Extractor. Many of the Speculars, Bumps and detail brushes were repainted for higher quality. I had a lot of fun making the materials. Finally, the BSP Tag Converter was used to import an OBJ of the actual Hang em High into max, which was then re-exported as a static mesh and scaled appropriately in the editor to match the players height. This static mesh was used as a 3d stencil to carve out a replica of HeH as perfect as i could allow. The mesh was then deleted after completion of the map. In turn, this added a interesting twist to the map. The Unreal Guy is much more agile than the Master Chief dude, but in turn, Unreal Guy doesn't have the ability to crouch jump, so you gotta use some gracious agility to make some of the jumps that the chief could easily achieve. However, this does allow some skilled players to hop between more platforms and catwalks than the chief could accomplish, so i hope you guys have a fun time rediscovering Hang 'em High!

Changelist:
    Beta2:
    - Bots now use Catwalks more often
    - UVW Mapped the Tombstones.
    - Added "Walk through the Woods" by Marty O' Donnel
    - Switched Jump Boots and Shield Belt spawn locations. This helped make the bots use the upper catwalks and balanced out a bit of game play
    Beta3:
    - Switched equipment with Shock Rifles.
    - Switched Shock Rifles with Enforcer spawns.
    - Moved equipment closer to base
    - Added more Health Vials
    - Added blocking volumes to forbid players from using the jump boots to hop out of the map
    - Added terrain and outside scenery for the sake of looking pretty
    - Added "Heretic, Hero" and "Another Walk" to the ambient music, both are renditions based off of the original "Walk through the Woods"
    - Added Arrows to the ground, just like in the original HeH.
    - Added some small round lights around the map that i had missed.
    - Fixed some geometry around the Shot Gun bunkers to keep players from getting stuck.
    - Fixed players getting stuck in the window of the shotgun gallery. Players may now jump In or Out of the window easily.

[1.0]
    -Replaced the Shotgun Bunkers with Static Meshes and Blocking Volumes to prohibit the player from getting caught on any geometry
    -Fixed the blocking volumes around the windows so players no longer get stuck and run around it freely.
    -Reorganized a number of Health Vials and Path Nodes for smoother, smarter bot play.
    -Optimized the terrain outside the map
    -Added a CTF Version of the map!

[1.01]
    -Added Halo Ring
    -Fixed the Overlapping Music
    -Changed "Hang_Em_High" in Menu to "Hang 'Em High"
    -Minor graphics changes and atmosphere edits

[1.1]
    -Fixed Path issues
    -Renamed for ease of server ftp's.
    -Added Description to Menu UI
    -New Lighting, More contrast across the map.
    -Added Sun and LensFlare

Known Issues:
    - Blood and BioGoop decals stretch over Tombstones. -This seems to be a problem with a number of static meshes, i've no ability to fix this.
    - Carona in the sky is much too small

Videos:

YouTube

Very Hi Res Screens:
    (( these screens are pictures of the Beta3, i will update them to pictures of the RL1 when i find more time in my day ))

Credits: Textures: Bungie
    Some Normals, Specs, Detail Textures: Me
    Sounds and Music: Bungie
    Special thanks to Halo: Custom Edition, the Halo Editing kit, the Halo BSP Tag exporter, and the Halo Bitmap Exporter.
    Beta-Testing thanks:
    -Reoen
    -_N_
    -CoolCat22

Download:
    ModDB

Saw this in the beta postings, never got to post feeback =P looks better than the other remakes that really didnt look like it. Great Job =]

Comment

Originally posted by TheAgent View Post
      Saw this in the beta postings, never got to post feeback =P looks better than the other remakes that really didnt look like it. Great Job =]
      Thanks a lot for the praise. =D
      It just hit the 25 download mark today, so i'm very excited. xD
      If anybody is going to add this to a server, or if they could, please feel free, i just wanna play on it with some actual humans!

Comment

make that 26 downloads!

Comment

This reminds me of the maps I made for Quake. One big room with many things.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzz2k7 View Post
            This reminds me of the maps I made for Quake. One big room with many things.
            xD, Ya, it's pretty nice of bungie to have released thing giant, bland template that plays so well, i can't wait to make it something myown.

Comment

It will be on a TAW CTF server near you soon! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by SevenDeuce View Post
                It will be on a TAW CTF server near you soon! Thanks.
                OOh, got a website, or an Ip of said server?

Comment

is this map compatible for ctf?

Comment

EDIT: Blah dee blah blah blah blah doo pooo

Comment

Originally posted by ShadeMistress View Post
                      bla bla bla lol

Comment

What, no, wait, i did this from scratch, and spent the time on it myself. I'm not stealing you're map at all! o.O However we managed to get the same atifacts might have something to do with tracing bungie's original mesh, but seriously, I've not spotted any artifacts at all! I wouldn't have released it if there were something that bad in my map..

Mistress i assure you i made it from scratch! Surely our maps are not of the same scale. I probably tackled Blue base in an entirely different manor than you did, and if it's any consolation, would you link me to you're version of your map? I'm curious to see the similarities. But really, did you open up my map in Unreal Ed and look at it? o.o;

Here's the links to the two threads i started whilst working on it if it's any help:
                        The Beta:
                        http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...3#post25889133
                        The WIP:
                        http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=648911

Just for the record, I'm not an ***, i don't steal peoples work, and if i had the odacity to mention the fact that i used all those programs, gave bungie credit for there work, and even credited a few guys that made a reply on my thread for beta testing, you think i would seriously leave you out of the loop if you had done anything on my version of the map? I'm sorry if they're strikingly similar, but again, i made this from scratch.

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                        I don't know what exactly is the misunderstanding between you, but if what you say Shade is true (and I have no reason to doubt of your sincerity), it's a shame you don't have been credited for the work you have done on this map, it's really not fair from you Vicious...
                        I honestly didn't even know she was working on her own HeH.
                        Say mistress, if it's any consolation, perhaps we could share our interest of the map and help each other out with a completely custom, up to date version of hang em high. I'll be doing some concept art and stuff soon of ideas i'd like to implement of the map. I was thinking that it could take place on an Under Construction version of Hang em High on the replacement halo from H3. I mean, getting help on it would be awesome, and i was looking forward to all the mesh building and texture creation.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadeMistress View Post
                          If it weren't for those obvious artifacts left behind by me, I'd have been rather happy to see a Halo map that looks like Halo with some normal maps and decals... really not cool though when you run around it and realize some *** is taking credit for something you spent your time on though. Not cool at all...
                          So i did some hunting shortly after finding your map, and i'd like to state our differences:

-You created one or two brushes for the entire wall spanning across red Base, i used about 4 or 5.

-Our bot pathing and placement is entirely different, surely i wouldn't have gone through all the trouble.

-Red Bases' Structure is different from my Own.

-You're blue base brush structure differs from mine.

-I used a static mesh for the big rock like piece of cover near Blue base.

-Our shotgun bunkers are built much differently.

-You used a number of subtraction brushes for your trench, i used 1.

-The Ramp's roof leading to blue from the cloak is also of different structure..

I'm sure if i had more time i'd find a number of differences here, but i'm just defending my point that i did my version from scratch. Besides, i respect you as a mapper, i considering you're self a much better mapper than I. I really like the lighting on your HeH, i think the way you created the shotgun bunkers is perhaps more efficient than my first tries, i ended up just converting them to static meshes cause they kept blocking players with weird invisible walls. Players seem to have a bit more head room on the inside ramps leading to red base on you're map, which i never did on mine, really.

So uhm, thanks for looking at my map and appreciating it's authenticity to the original? I'm sorry for any confusion, i didn't realize you were working on you're own.

Comment

seems to have a big misunderstanding here...
                            I think you are both sincere and I'm shure you will be conciliated soon.
                            So sorry Vicious if I have doubt to you
                            Nice remake

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                              seems to have a big misunderstanding here...
                              I think you are both sincere and I'm shure you will be conciliated soon.
                              So sorry Vicious if I have doubt to you
                              Nice remake
                              Thanks for the consul. I don't think i'm going to go very far in the game industry by ripping off other peoples stuff..

Oh snap, i ripped off bungie with this xD

Comment

Working...
                              X