X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TickyTicker: PhysX vs. Horology [updated]

Name: TickyTicker
    Version: 1.2
    Compatibility: Any version of UT3 should work.
    Description: A simulation of a mechanical clock using PhysX.
    Comments: This is packaged as a plain DM map, but it can't be played as such (only one player start and no pickups or anything); it's just for looking at.
    Screenshot:

Tick tock.

This is the escapement. I chose a "pin wheel escapement" because it's easy to construct in UEd and fairly forgiving of low-poly modelling.

The pendulum.

Video recorded by RED-FROG: http://de.xfire.com/video/571c4/

Homepage: http://mrevil.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/u...3/tickyticker/
    Download: TickyTicker_v1.2.zip (3.2MB)

A while ago I started wondering just how complicated a mechanism could be simulated with PhysX. Coincidentally, I also had a sudden urge to learn how mechanical clocks work, so I combined the two, and here is the result. It's all driven purely by the rigid-body physics simulation available in UT3 via PhysX. I haven't tested it over a long period of time, but it seems reasonably accurate.

The mechanism is a bit sloppy because I modelled it all quickly in UEd from BSP, with lots of compromises due to it being easier to create geometry based on powers of two rather than the factors of sixty that are more suited to a clock. But it works nonetheless.

In addition to the map there is a mutator "UTMutator_HandRotator" which is necessary if you want to set the clock in-game. To use it, in the game type mutate setclock hh:mm where hh is an hour from 0-12 and mm is a minute from 0-59. Seconds will be set to 0 when the time is set.

The mutator also allows you to adjust the height of the pendulum and thus the rate of the clock by typing mutate adjustpendulum height where height is a positive number to lower the pendulum or a negative number to raise it. It will probably take a small adjustment (+/-1.0) to make it accurate.

Source code for the mutator is included and the map is uncooked, so you can use it as you wish.

lol. very creative

Comment

"Tick tock tock..."

Definitely sweet!

EDIT: Btw way runs really fast on my machine, no frame rate slowdown at all. This thing does not seem to react well to rocket fire... LOL, then I guess, nor would any other clock!

Comment

very creative and it work good at my pc

Comment

The stinger seems to be it's weakness, I can actually slow it down or make it faster.

Comment

Thats very cool....but how does the brown pin wheel in the top works? i mean, in the "real world", it has a batery that keeps it spining by itself? because i got the pendulum out the place and the wheel kept spining without that triangular piece on the top...Very technical question :P

Comment

Originally posted by Staward View Post
              Thats very cool....but how does the brown pin wheel in the top works? i mean, in the "real world", it has a batery that keeps it spining by itself? because i got the pendulum out the place and the wheel kept spining without that triangular piece on the top...Very technical question :P
              A real mechanical clock would have a spring or weight driving a gear, which would in turn be connected to the gear that turns the hour hand. Power would be transferred from there through the other gears to the escape wheel (brown pin wheel at the top). The force of the escape wheel turning pushes on the anchor (triangular piece on top) which keeps the pendulum swinging. In my clock, I simply connected an RB_Thruster actor directly to the escape wheel to provide power, so you don't need to wind it up.

Comment

Very awesome thing! xD
                Are you using PhysX on your GPU? Really curious on that one.

100fps+ (capped)

Comment

That is very cool. It's like some of the clever things people are doing in LittleBigPlanet

Comment

Version 1.1 is available. I cleaned up the gear models a bit, significantly reducing their poly counts, making them fit together better and increasing the map's performance quite a bit (no longer ridiculously slow on my PC). I also added sounds when parts hit each other so the clock makes a nice tick-tock sound, but for some reason the sounds stop on their own after a while (I blame UT3). Oh, and you can break the clock up into bits if you hit it really hard with weapons, or crash into it with a vehicle.

Originally posted by RED-FROG View Post
                    Very awesome thing! xD
                    Are you using PhysX on your GPU? Really curious on that one.

100fps+ (capped)
                    CPU only for me. I should be able to run it on my GPU, but none of nVidia's drivers that support that are stable for me.

Comment

best use of physics any one?
                      sweet, hows the scalability?
                      say some one wanted to go bigger or smaller eg big ben , or grandfather clock

this really is cool.

Comment

Very creative! Have you considered working in the game industry? Talent spotted!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Evil View Post

CPU only for me. I should be able to run it on my GPU, but none of nVidia's drivers that support that are stable for me.
                          don't bother.
                          The GPU physics calculation didn't help at all when I had an 8800GTS.

I was just asking if you have enabled it to maybe disable it and then try.
                          I have a HD4870 now, so no silly useless PhysX on gpu. It's really just a promo gag.

Btw I have recorded a video of your clock map so people can check it out what it's going to be like:

http://de.xfire.com/video/571c4/
                          Good music eh?

Comment

Originally posted by RED-FROG View Post
                            don't bother.
                            The GPU physics calculation didn't help at all when I had an 8800GTS.

I was just asking if you have enabled it to maybe disable it and then try.
                            I have a HD4870 now, so no silly useless PhysX on gpu. It's really just a promo gag.

Btw I have recorded a video of your clock map so people can check it out what it's going to be like:

http://de.xfire.com/video/571c4/
                            Good music eh?
                            Just so you no if you have a spare PCI-express slot you can run your Nvidia Card as a Physx card and let your HD4870 do the rendering :P

Comment

LOL
                              SLI - crossfire combo? :P ^^

Comment

Working...
                              X