Final Act: UT3 Mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Act: UT3 Mod

Hey there UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 community!

I am a grad student at the top game development school in the country, The Guildhall at SMU, located in Plano, TX.
    For our 2nd major "Team Game Project" (TGP) we were given the assignment of creating a multiplayer-based mod utilizing the Unreal III Engine Technology.

The result of 9 students and 2 months of our hard work is Final Act.
    Final Act is a 3rd person, "Action-RTS" game. It is not about killing your enemies directly, but more indirectly with the use of summons spells. The win condition is to destroy the other side's soul well and keep your own soul well from getting destroyed in the process. It needs to truly be played to be understood.

The installer comes with the instruction manual (reading the manual is highly recommended), but remember it is a multiplayer mod, so it is first and foremost meant to be a multiplayer game. The game plays best with 6 or more people (3-on-3) but if you don't have that many people to play with, you can still have fun and enjoy our game!

WE ARE GREATLY INTERESTED IN YOUR INPUT AND FEEDBACK. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR INTEREST!!!

Once you install, start a multiplayer match, and you should be able to select from one of the two levels and create a match. Then let people join and away you go! On behalf of Team Zombie Lips and The Guildhall at SMU, HAVE FUN!

--Ryan Barrett
    Art Creation, Cohort 10

(Warning: The Guildhall owns the rights to everything in this game, so please do not ask if you can use any assets (code, level design, and art) from it. Sorry!)
    DOWNLOAD LINK: >>FilePlanet<<
    MIRROR #1: >>FileFront<<
    ModDB Official Page: ModDB
    Final Act Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJWMiuzLquE

DISCLAIMER: We cannot take any responsibility of this mod doing anything with your computer/UT3 install (highly doubtful that it would) but it should just be as simple as double clicking on the installer and letting it do its thing.

Screenshots: visit our ModDB page!

Team Zombie Lips is:
    Christian Schmidt - Level Design (Team Lead, HUD Programmer)
    Chris Meub - Software Development (Lead Programmer)
    Ryan Barrett - Art Creation (Animator, Textures, HUD Design, Manual Design)
    Danielle Demarest - Art Creation (Concept Art, Character Modeler, Textures, Logo Design)
    Bill Smith - Art Creation (Art Lead, Concept Art, Environment Modeler and Textures)
    Ahmed Abdelmeguid - Level Design (Associate Lead Design and Audio Design)
    Jason Glenn - Level Design (Shrine of Shaleaux map creator)
    Hans Larsen - Level Design (Additional Programming, Particle Effects)
    Shaun McCarty - Level Design (Islands of Rapture map creator)

looks cool seen the trailer looks like WoW i really dont get the gameplay hopefully you can give us some screens and make us understant what this is 0.o

Comment

The instruction manual explains more of what the game is in detail, however the best way I can describe the game is as an "Action-RTS." What this means is you don't kill your opponents directly - you use specialized turrets called "Summons" which you place all over the map. When someone approaches the turret, it comes to life and starts attacking your opponent.

You use summons to defend your base, which consists of a giant orb called a "Soul Well." When your opponent's soul well is destroyed, you win. The catch is both sides' Soul Wells are connected to each other, so the life bar of the Soul Well has a tug-o-war mechanic.

I'd be happy to answer any further questions.

Comment

is it only multiplayer (online)
        coz it crashes when i do singleplayer

Comment

Yes, the game is a multiplayer mod only. I think you can do instant action if you just want to run around the level and look around, as the bots do not know how to play Final Act :P Otherwise, I do not know why it causes you to crash and I don't think I'll be able to help you beyond that, unfortunately. (I'm just an artist. )

Comment

I sudgest setting something up for bot support so we can test it properly.

Comment

"it is a multiplayer mod, so it is first and foremost meant to be a multiplayer game."

Comment

Originally posted by JumaAm View Post
                "it is a multiplayer mod, so it is first and foremost meant to be a multiplayer game."
                Right, as JumaAm reiterated what I already stated. This Mod was accomplished in a little more than 2 months time (pre-production probably puts it into the 3-month range) and we are not experienced in creating AI for the characters, so that's just not feesible for this game. The game is finished, I doubt much more will be added to it. There may be some bugs to fix here and there, I don't know though.

We are just interested in what you guys think of playing it and what you like/dislike in playing it.

Comment

I'll give it a shot, D/L ing now

EDIT: D/L complete and installing, testing will have to wait till tomorrow

Comment

Awesome, foxtrot, please let all your friends know! Thanks.

Comment

Er... talk to the guy that makes the centinal mod. He may be able to help you deal with AI with the dropping of your turret like things and how a bot would do that. Once thats done bot pathing cant be to hard. Once thats done we can see how the game plays. We at the moment may have a problem getting your conversion tested on UT3 servers because of the fact we cant get others to browse the servers and just see the mod running.

I'd love to help you test it but I cant test the multiplayer aspect without bots at the moment.

Comment

This looks like an incredible mod. The trailer was good too. Also your singing cracked me up. It made my day.

Comment

ok i tried making a instant action game, without success because the game froze up whilst loading. Then i tried hosting a server with final act as a game mode and it froze up whilst loading, again. I don't know it's the game, gamemode or my computer that makes stuff freeze up but i can't test it.

Comment

Foxtrot: Thanks for trying. We are looking into the matter. I am very curious if anyone else has had success or if all the views for this thread are people that just looked, but didn't download.

Edit - 1) Have you updated to the latest patched version? 1.3 I think it is? and 2) are you trying to play online or via a LAN with someone else?

Comment

Just to update, the assignment was to create a multiplayer mod, hence we didn't take the time to really work with the AI due to the tight schedule of the project. Our plan is to rebuild one of the maps, update the installer ASAP and re-upload it. Thanks for everyone's patience...we really think we made something different for UT3 and are excited about it.

Incidently, I'm not sure if this was mentioned but the character models and nearly all of the meshes and textures were 100% custom, giving it that unique look.

Comment

Working...
                              X