WAR-ArchaicBluffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAR-ArchaicBluffs

Hopefully final. This version is more recent than the file entered in the MSUC.

A magnificent valley, lost in time and brimming with life. Rolling hills, winding rivers, rustling leaves, people getting melted... Huh? Stop dilly dallying and grab your Flak Cannon soldier, there's a war on dontcha know! Credits: Epic for the tools and assets, Shademistress for the beautiful tropical trees (get em here: http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=617095), nomadicus for fixing a doohickey, my understanding family, my friend Steve for being epic in general and everyone who beta tested the map!

PC download: http://www.mediafire.com/?mnmy5fyzron
    PS3 download: http://www.mediafire.com/?0z1jkwabtm0

Congratulations on going final with your map, Squiggles! Good Luck in the contest!

Comment

Hi Demon Slick! Beta took ages, didn't it :P
      Thanks man, you rock! Already well underway on the next one though, it's lookin' good.

Comment

The goggles do nothing! Too much bloom for my taste, but otherwise it's rockin.

Comment

looks the pro, wd will try

Comment

Even though there is a lot of bloom, it does give a unique feel to the map. That and the right amount of bloom on a map can sometimes make it look like concept art from far away.

Comment

Sorry for blinding you guys

Comment

you did great i love this map it's great thanks for your work and time i have a ps3 and no problems at all

Comment

gimmie some screenies!

Comment

yeah i feel stupid. for whatever reason they didn't load the first time. lol

Comment

Online MultiPlayer Feedback

I played this on the T5K server at least 6 times with lots of other players, several times with a full server. Here are my comments;

First, let me say I really like the basic map layout and design. It was fun to play even with the problems I found.

- You can drive vehicles and hoverboard underwater
                      - The last jump pad at the base dumps you in the water
                      - The core base spawn areas are prime manta spawn kill areas, I got several dominating and unstopables doing this and so did several other players, you don't want this, players don't like being killed 5-6 times by a raping manta, no spawning at base on the ground
                      - spawning should be on the platforms, safe from the enemy mantas, avrils should be on every platform
                      - more avril pickups at base, not just on the one platform, but every platform, plus extra avril ammo
                      - Base turret fire is blocked in many places by invisible stuff, so firing has no effect on open targets in several areas
                      - lots of invisible stuff to walk into, drive into, fly into, etc.
                      - several spawn locations at nodes are too far from weapons and vehicles
                      - lots of no fire places where the weapons do not function correctly, blocked by invisible things
                      - This map required world detail of 2 or higher or it's all black with stick trees for some reason.
                      - I had to turn brightness down just for this map.

This can be a really great map. Everyone on vent seemed to like the vehicle loadout and node layout.I am pretty sure you will get more feedback from other players as well.

Comment

I had a lot of fun playing it at the T5k party as well. Bobba already touched on the suggestions I have, but here they are anyway:

- I played on low detail, and the trees were just sticks. Not a big deal, but the collision for the tree is huge, so I was basically running into invisible walls everywhere.
                        - In addition to that I encountered invisible volumes in many places, and a couple spots where you could go under a mesh. Also one rock mesh by a prime node I got stuck under and couldn't find the way back out.
                        - Some spawns are too far from weapons lockers.

It's a beautiful map! Good luck with the MSUC!

Comment

Hi hi guys. Glad you liked it

I will try to fix that stuff, but it will be in a couple of weeks, I have Christmas exams I'm supposed to be studying for!

I just need some clarification on some points;
                          • Vehicles and hoverboard underwater-That's nothing to do with me, it's the way the game works. Hovering vehicles ride on top of water volumes, no reason they shouldn't. I haven't seen this.
                          • The jump pad leading to the water is the only way down unless you're planning on suicide. Maybe I should signpost it...
                          • I could use better directions to invisible blocking.
                          • I really don't know what to do about the problems on detail setting 1 I'm afraid

I will try to address everything, but I could use more help with the above. Finally, were you playing the MSUC version? Because this is newer and has fixed some stuff (but not the lack of avril or spawn rape)

Comment

I agree with them. This map has great potential and I hope you work on releasing an updated version. And it's freakin' gorgeous too!

About the invisible blocking: A lot of the foliage contains parts where you can't walk, drive or shoot through - mainly the bushes but also the platforms at each base (floor collision is higher than actual floor) as well as the wood planks of some of the node bases.

I want to add that your vctf map Skytown is awesome too. I just got it last night and already love it.

Comment

Originally posted by Squiggles View Post
                              Hi hi guys. Glad you liked it

I will try to fix that stuff, but it will be in a couple of weeks, I have Christmas exams I'm supposed to be studying for!

I just need some clarification on some points;
                              • Vehicles and hoverboard underwater-That's nothing to do with me, it's the way the game works. Hovering vehicles ride on top of water volumes, no reason they shouldn't. I haven't seen this.
                              • The jump pad leading to the water is the only way down unless you're planning on suicide. Maybe I should signpost it...
                              • I could use better directions to invisible blocking.
                              • I really don't know what to do about the problems on detail setting 1 I'm afraid

I will try to address everything, but I could use more help with the above. Finally, were you playing the MSUC version? Because this is newer and has fixed some stuff (but not the lack of avril or spawn rape)
                              Yes, this was the MSUC version.

A couple of places there were invisible blockages;
                              The "pavillion node" past the bridge, linked to prime node, each corner has blockage
                              The bridge inside corner also has blockage
                              The prime node has no fire places where the vehicles are blocked from firing, nothing inside the gun sight
                              While flying the cicada, you bump into stuff all the time, it's like everywhere
                              There are many more

There is a gap between the ground and the mountain between the river and air node, cicada and fury base above the redeemer spawn.

The foilage shields what's under it like at the center node, darkwalker node. The cicada rocket fire has no effect vs the darkwalker as it is shielded by leaves.

The manta and viper do go above the water, but hoverboard does not. Hoverboarding underwater and driving the tank or scorpion underwater to center node has some advandages. Usually, vehicles plus water = damage on most maps.

I have no clue how to fix any of those things because I am not a mapper. Just bringing them up.

By the way, Doz put this on our server, T5K Public server, along with many other custom maps, so it may get more play time.

Comment

Working...
                              X