VCTF-TrainCrossing[PC][PS3][Pics]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Looks great, but unfortunately my computer reboots while the map is loading.
    I have the same problem with another vctf map. Maybe my computer needs upgrading.

Anyone else have this problem?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by B5GkarNarn View Post
    This is a great looking map that's a lot of fun to play - even though I've only tried it with bots so far. I especially enjoy hopping onto the boat & enjoying the gorgeous view of the water as I ride to the other side. Thank you for all of your hard work in putting this map together.

Would you consider creating an identical map with some type of weather effect (either a fog that rolls in & then rolls out or intermittent rain) for Warfare?
    Thanks! Glad you like it! I've had a few requests for a Warfare version now, but I doubt that such a modification would be successful as the map is totally designed as a VCTF map, and not with Warfare in mind. There are several VCTF to Warfare converted maps out there, but I haven’t seen a single one that’s gained any sort of popularity. For example, in Train Crossing, there just isn’t sufficient cover for the nodes; you’d be able to hit them from a mile away. The train and boat also wouldn’t be particularly useful because there’s really no reason you’d want to go from one core straight to the other, when it would be faster to spawn at a nearby node. Finally, because of the river, there aren’t a lot of places to put nodes, which will probably result in very spammy gameplay. Basically, the layout and features of the map which make the map work well for VCTF will not transfer over to Warfare. It’s a full-blooded VCTF map through-and-through, and while a Warfare version with the same visual design might be possible, the layout would need to be completely redone.

Originally posted by Pop! View Post
    This map is Pop approved! Played it a few times on Hedtseem.. Always good fun

Pop!
    Originally posted by rek View Post
    great looking map, got it on redirect from hedsteem, and played it a bit online. as stated above in several posts, great work. i thought at first that it's size and all would make for a choppy game(my rig isn't what i'd call 1337) but it was totally playable for me, and the multiple flag routes makes this thing sweet. keeper for sure.
    thank you so much.
    funnage!
    Played it on Hedsteem myself a few times. At first I was worried because I didn’t consider hedsteem’s mods at all when making the map, and was concerned that they might break the way the map is played. However, I was glad to see that this wasn’t the case. In particular, the anti-vehicle volumes around the flag room prevent it from being too easy to do one of those cheap super-fast impossible-to-stop scorpion (i.e. mauler) flag grabs. I am little worried that flag carriers can hide in the paladins, but in the cases where this has happened, they seem to get killed by a scorpion/mauler self-destruct anyways (once they’re spotted). I’ve seen that the map is also up on a variety of other servers now including UMG amongst others. I was able to play it once with 24 players and was glad to see that it scaled very nicely to large player numbers as flag grabs were still quite doable and there was no excessive spam .
    Originally posted by Skydragon22 View Post
    All in all a great map, however there are a few minor tweaks I could suggest
    AI pathing isn't that great, a couple of times I saw an AI jumping against a wall to high to climb over and over. A couple more points where you can obviously climb out of the water would be great.
    Another thing is the number of recommended players, the map really doesn't reach its full potential at 12 players, I would raise the amount.
    also the boat had no weapons or ammo in it, I think a sniper rifle would be a great edition to the boat. imagine approaching the boat under the cover crates silently sniping opponents so that you can land without problems.
    lastly, is it possible to add an interior to the train, you have a train terminal set up but no way to get in our out of the train except by jumping on it.
    Can't wait for the next version.
    Yeah, the AI behaves oddly sometimes, but they’re definitely capable of getting on and off the boat. It was difficult, but basically the only way to get them to use the boat was to have them treat it as a gigantic lift. However, don’t expect them to use the boat intelligently as I’ve seen the bots wait at the port for over a minute waiting for a ride. Unfortunately, there’s little I can do about this without re-writing the bot AI (which is a whole other can of worms) as the AI was never designed to handle a setup like this (whereas humans grasp the concept instantly ). Nonetheless, if you still want a challenge against a bot team, I’d recommend setting a high player count (perhaps even the full 32) and maybe turning up the bot difficultly, it can still lead to some exciting matches.

Oh, yeah, my original plans included a train with an interior and also pickups on the boat (Actually, at one point I was even considering a turret on the boat ). However, as I quickly learned, having too many dynamic actors in your map introduces server lag. This is because the server has to notify all player clients about the location of each and every dynamic object each and every server update. The boat is actually already a collection of 5 different static meshes all attached together and the trains add another 2 to the list. Adding pickups on the boat would mean the server would need to report its location to all players every server update. Also, bots might get confused by the pickups (which all inherit from the “Navigation Point” class) and could swim after the boat thinking that it’s a normal static navigation point. Regarding the train, it came down to several factors as well. For example, there would need to be a special way of handling the case of what happens to users inside the train if they ride it into the tunnels? Also I was worried that it might make flag-grabs too easy as it would be nearly impossible to hit someone inside the train (compared to the roof) and I didn’t want players relying solely on the trains for flag-grabs. Finally, performance was another concern. The map is already at the edge of acceptable performance for a UT3 VCTF map, and a train with an interior would add a great deal of new dynamically-lit non-static triangles in addition to its complicated dynamic collision.

Originally posted by Chaosnight View Post
    I have found one problem.
    The manta can get into the flag bases but very difficultly,

if you manage to get the manta on top of the flag building ( which i have) you can drop down inside of the base through the holes in the roof. Id sujest adding some frocedir volumes there to prevent anyone from exploiting that.
    Yep, you can also do it much more easily with the cicada (by entering through the roof). However, I left this in because I felt it was a viable strategy that it has its own pros and cons. The manta for example, has very little room to manoeuvre in the flag room, and could easily be taken out with a single Avril (which everyone will have because it’s in the weapon lockers). The Cicada is even more helpless in the flag room as it barely has enough space to turn around, and is helplessly unable to target attackers with any sort of accuracy. I did use it once to squish an enemy flag carrier at the enemy base (last second save! ) but as a defensive strategy, it has failed miserably every time (the nearby EMP and redeemer also play a role in this :P).

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I have found one problem.
    The manta can get into the flag bases but very difficultly,

if you manage to get the manta on top of the flag building ( which i have) you can drop down inside of the base through the holes in the roof. Id sujest adding some frocedir volumes there to prevent anyone from exploiting that.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looking interesting

Mmmmmmmm I wonder if someone has ever been hit by that train?I cant wait to check this out.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    An excellent map, definitely worthy of a five-star rating.
    I'm glad you went with a shore theme as many people are quick to jump to a gritty town or wintry peak (nothing wrong with those just this is a good change of pace). The theme is beautiful and easily outshines the looks of many other maps.

Also I'm glad you added a picture and a recommended player count to the map select screen, something many map-makers forget to do.

Also there is a map description another excellent thing.

However that is just aestetics, the true test of a map is it's gameplay and I'm happy to say that this map doesn't disappoint.

The train and boat are great ideas that I haven't seen a mapper use yet and are really cool.

The amount of vehicles is pretty good, giving just enough to make it interesting but not so much that the map feels cluttered.

All in all a great map, however there are a few minor tweaks I could suggest

AI pathing isn't that great, a couple of times I saw an AI jumping against a wall to high to climb over and over. A couple more points where you can obviously climb out of the water would be great.

Another thing is the number of recommended players, the map really doesn't reach its full potential at 12 players, I would raise the amount.

also the boat had no weapons or ammo in it, I think a sniper rifle would be a great edition to the boat. imagine approaching the boat under the cover crates silently sniping opponents so that you can land without problems.

lastly, is it possible to add an interior to the train, you have a train terminal set up but no way to get in our out of the train except by jumping on it.

Can't wait for the next version.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    great looking map, got it on redirect from hedsteem, and played it a bit online. as stated above in several posts, great work. i thought at first that it's size and all would make for a choppy game(my rig isn't what i'd call 1337) but it was totally playable for me, and the multiple flag routes makes this thing sweet. keeper for sure.
    thank you so much.
    funnage!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This map is Pop approved! Played it a few times on Hedtseem.. Always good fun

Pop!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Best level i have ever played in ut3. no lie

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Great Looking Map!

This is a great looking map that's a lot of fun to play - even though I've only tried it with bots so far. I especially enjoy hopping onto the boat & enjoying the gorgeous view of the water as I ride to the other side. Thank you for all of your hard work in putting this map together.

Would you consider creating an identical map with some type of weather effect (either a fog that rolls in & then rolls out or intermittent rain) for Warfare?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ArcAne View Post
    This map lookes Epic!

Originally posted by UT3fan2008 View Post
    i left some comments after The demon slicks review @ unreal-station. great map btw
    Glad you liked it! Yeah, I too, am apprehensive about snipers. To prevent the map from being too sniper-heavy, I included only that single sniper weapon base and positioned it quite a distance away from the spawnpoints so that it's not quite or convient to just grab it on your way out. Also, I included only a single sniper ammo pickup. Chances are, you'll likely see no more than a single sniper per side, and they almost always hang out in the same predictable spot (the boat-house roof). Afterall, if there are two or more snipers on the roof, they'd run out of ammo quickly and would have to share the singlular ammo pickup .

Originally posted by zunnie View Post
    PC Version: http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?action=file&id=1339You have any objections me adding this map to a future mappack?
    This map is now fully released; feel free to use it in any mappack .

Leave a comment:

• replied
    PC Version: http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?action=file&id=1339
    PS3 Version: http://ut3.game-maps.net/?action=file&id=1340

You have any objections me adding this map to a future mappack?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    i left some comments after The demon slicks review @ unreal-station. great map btw

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This map lookes Epic!

nough said.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    PS3 Download Link Working Now

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
    Download working, don't know why you got that...try again?

I tried again & was able to successfully download the PS3 file from the link . Thank you for letting me know that the download was working.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This map is one of those that inspire other mappers!

Great work!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X