• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAR-RealGar

• Name: WAR-RealGar

• Version: Release

• Compatibility: UT3 v1.3, UT3 BP1

• Concept: RealGar is a rare soft orange mineral consisting of arsenic sulfide; an important ore of arsenic. This mine has been quarried for years and while the machinery and the ore are still very active, the miners are not. Harnessing the energy of the ore, power nodes linked to a power core were constructed to facilitate some vehicular warfare.

• Node layout is M shaped as follows - Red Core - Red Prime - Access Node - Blue Prime - Blue Core. There is also a standalone node - the Mine node (Countdown Node).

The power core is the main source of power for each of the teams and while installing the core, the power management mechanism failed. As such the core had to be enclosed in a pressurized cave within the mine. As long as the core is pressurized, it would maintain its current energy state. At the same time the prime nodes were constructed to provide the core with extra energy boost. The "firm" also concluded that the power of the actual mine could be used to improve the game-play of the arena. The power of Real Gar is useful in powering the cores.

The Access node monitors the mechanism controlling the pressurized power cores. Control of this node opens the door to the enemy's power core, depressurizing the cave causing the core to lose power. Control of the Mine node causes a countdown to begin (think of this as the time it takes for enough ore to be mined to power the core). At the end of the countdown the controlling team gets a certain amount of damage restored to their power core.

• Comments: So, this is my second original map (first warfare) and I was going for a type of game play that adds as much kismet powered objectives as possible to the standard warfare game type. The idea was that teams could play the map as Assault-style and not need to ever attack the enemy's core (if they choose to), and makes the map have sort of a Tug-of-war play style. Of course, it can still be played normally.

Vehicle Load out - Each team starts with Two Mantas, 1 Scorpion, 1 Hellbender all of which spawns at the power core; and 1 tank which spawns at the prime nodes (the match starts with the prime nodes under each team's control). The Mine node (countdown node) spawns two Paladins when controlled, and the access node spawns a mini gun turret when controlled.

This basically makes it sort of a break for the Access and Mine nodes when the match begins. The teams then have a choice - "Do we go first for the Access node and start damaging the enemy core?"; or "Do we go for the mine node for the extra vehicles?". The countdown time is 2m (120s), and at the end of the countdown, the controlling team gets X amount of health added to their core. Of course the 2 paladins are also automatically destroyed - so in other words, you only get the paladins for 2m.

There is also a side objective (for each team - A barricade) that, while it does not need to be completed, completing/defending it would assist with the overall match.

Minimum - Recommended number of players - 24 - 32.

• Screen shot:

Release

B4

B2

• Credits: Thanks to everyone who has been involved in making this game enjoyable - for me and all. Also, I Still like to thank those who helped me get started with UT3Ed - Quakenet #Unrealed. Thanks to Kami also for feedback.

• Homepage: None

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Please let me know if there are any issues with either versions.

Thanks.

J

Comment

Screens looks awesome! Also the way you use stock meshes and combine each other. Lighting gives the map a very nice atmosphere and fits with the whle scene. Will download as soon as I have some time for playing. Good work!

Comment

thanks for the ps3 cook, i will comment after playn a bit

Comment

my ps3 will not load up with his map installed. you might have to recook it

Comment

I would like to know if anyone else is having this issue.
            I could cook it again but that will be moot if I'm doing something wrong on my end.

Thanks for your patience.

J

Comment

Played through, this is defo one of the best custom warefare maps available. Top stuff!

Comment

Played it the first time through with bots without fully reading the initial description of how the map worked and found it really confusing. If this ever gets put on pub servers, expect people playing it for the first time to have no idea what's going on. "Why is our core going down?" "How did the core go back up?" heh.

The layout can be a bit confusing as well. The turn near prime to center (I think there's a barricade by there) is easily missed because the rock walls all blend in together and everything is brown.

The map succeeds in having a tug-of-war style of play to it (at least it did for me with the bots). I'm not sure people will like that online though. It can get a bit tedious having long matches over a couple nodes. It's definitely refreshing to see someone doing an original Warfare map and making use of kismet to add some interesting twists.

Comment

Originally posted by Ell678 View Post
                  Played through, this is defo one of the best custom warefare maps available. Top stuff!
                  Thanks, Glad you like it.

Originally posted by MoonBlood View Post
                  Played it the first time through with bots without fully reading the initial description of how the map worked and found it really confusing. If this ever gets put on pub servers, expect people playing it for the first time to have no idea what's going on. "Why is our core going down?" "How did the core go back up?" heh.

The layout can be a bit confusing as well. The turn near prime to center (I think there's a barricade by there) is easily missed because the rock walls all blend in together and everything is brown.

The map succeeds in having a tug-of-war style of play to it (at least it did for me with the bots). I'm not sure people will like that online though. It can get a bit tedious having long matches over a couple nodes. It's definitely refreshing to see someone doing an original Warfare map and making use of kismet to add some interesting twists.
                  I suppose I should have put a readme in the zip. I always feel it's moot since the readme would have the same info as the first post.

The "brown" issue is something I really struggled with. It was hard to get the exact light color I wanted without having it be too washed out. It's different for me though since I don't play with the default brightness and I can always see the opening.

The tug-of-war style is something I definitely wanted to have, and if it succeeds at that, I'm happy . You can win the match by attacking or not attacking the enemy core. And the opponents still have a chance to stay in the game by healing their core. As I pointed out in the beta thread, it will either be a hit or a miss.

Thanks again for the comments and thanks for playing.

On a side note, I would like to know which version people are playing and if anyone else is having a problem with the PS3 version. Thanks again.

J

Comment

I have the uk/eu version of unreal, latest ps3 firmware, latest unreal patch.

The map crashes unreal on the unpack of the map, and locks it up.

After reseting the ps3 / unreal, the map is there and selectable / playable.

Unfortunately though the map has then to be deleted cos it screws up unreal on installing other mods / maps, and crashes / locks it up.

There has been other instances of this happening with a couple of other maps / authors.

It is something to how it has been cooked with latest patches / tools and the region of the ps3 unreal. The only solution is for it to be re-cooked.

See the DM-WORM below. It may give you an idea to the solution or there was a guy who was happy to re-cook them (joel791e).

http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=624326

Comment

Thanks for the link.
                      I have pretty much same setup as Nurb does.
                      I will do it again when I get home tonight. I remember the version of PS3 that was selected when I cooked was US. I will perform a full recook tonight.

Thanks again for the patience.

J

Comment

jayoplus, I have been experiencing these problems since the latest PS3 patch, it appears to be related to working preview pics. Before the patch, they worked fine. Since then, they are causing increased loading times, freezing on unpack, freezing when leaving matches, increased unpacking time for insytalling maps/mods. I cant swear to it, but that's what happened to me, recooking without preview pics cleared the trouble. See my posts here and here:
                        http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=624127
                        http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=622243

Comment

Hmm...
                          I had used the method described by Dave neun to add the preview pic for the PS3 version. If that is the case that doing this causes the map to crash on the PS3 then I will simply cook without the fix for the preview pic.

Thanks again.

J

Comment

I have updated the OP with these links.

I have fully re-cooked the map for all three platforms.
                            I also did not apply the fix for the preview picture.

Thanks all.

PS3 NA: http://dodownload.filefront.com/1205...d745109aaccd45

PS3 EU: http://dodownload.filefront.com/1205...d745109aaccd45

PS3 DE: http://dodownload.filefront.com/1205...d745109aaccd45

Comment

Thanks for the re-cook.

I tested the eu version, and can confirm everything is fine, works great, thanks.

Onto what demonslick stated, on the original version of the map, I did notice a buggy preview pic displayed on selecting the map, so it may well be connected with that.

Comment

Working...
                              X