No announcement yet.

DM-Dante]I[

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Luv_Studd, can you post a working link to dl the map. The filefront link doesn't work.

Comment

I reuploaded the file, and hopefully the link above will work now.

Comment

Originally posted by Luv_Studd View Post
        I reuploaded the file, and hopefully the link above will work now.
        Download commencing... Thanks for uploading.

Comment

You have to Luv a Studd who consistantly creates great maps. Another fine map! The one thing I really like about all your maps are the layouts. You make a fun map to play first, then place it in a good setting and build it well. Too many mappers forget to do this in the past year.

That being said, there seems to be one area of your maps that can be improved. Your layouts are great, settings are solid, and your quality is great too. I think the one area that can be improved the most is atmosphere. The little details that are hard to put your finger on, but when they are not there, you somehow notice.

Don't get me wrong, I am striving to make a map that can compare to yours, so as a mapper, I don't really know how to get there. But I have faith in you my good man!

Comment

I agree with you completely, Odedge. I realize there is a higher level of quality that I have not yet achieved. You call it atmosphere, but I will refer to it as the great looks of a map. Some mappers have an artistic knack who can truly put out beautiful levels that make your jaw drop, and I will be the first to tell you that I am not an artist.

I am not really sure how I can get there. One strike against me is my antiquated PC: It barely runs UT3, and only on lower settings, so what I see is not what others may see. It chugs forever when I do a build all on a nearly finished map. It sucks the fun out of the mapmaking process at times.

I appreciate your honest response though...that's always a good thing to see. Thanks.

Comment

I am not really sure how I can get there. One strike against me is my antiquated PC: It barely runs UT3, and only on lower settings, so what I see is not what others may see. It chugs forever when I do a build all on a nearly finished map. It sucks the fun out of the mapmaking process at times.
              Same for me grrrrrrrr...

Good work guys !

Comment

I agree with you completely, Odedge. I realize there is a higher level of quality that I have not yet achieved. You call it atmosphere, but I will refer to it as the great looks of a map. Some mappers have an artistic knack who can truly put out beautiful levels that make your jaw drop, and I will be the first to tell you that I am not an artist.

I appreciate your honest response though...that's always a good thing to see. Thanks.
                Atmosphere does include an the artistic eye. The colors you use for your lights is the most obvious example. And I empathize as I am not really an artist either. I like to build maps for many reasons, so I keep on at it.

You can get there by studying other's maps (obviously) and maybe other "works of art" such as paintings. These works can related to mapping in many ways. For my next map, I need to learn how to cerate a solid layout for game play. While I can easily look at another map and tell you why the game play it works, it's a bit harder to create something from nothing.

Sometimes I am hesitant to respond with honesty as some people may take my comments out of context. My motivation for any comments it to hopefully improve their mapping skills/knowledge. Glad you received it well.

If you're making a new map, maybe make a 1-on1 size level and concentrate on the atmosphere/artistic side as you obviously have the other aspects down solid.

p.s. I hear you when it comes to your computer giving you problems as my computer has froze up on me more than enough times while mapping (I think my CPU is freaking out). It's time for an upgrade. You can always build the map, email it to me, then I will "build" it for you and send it back.

Comment

You can get there by studying other's maps (obviously) and maybe other "works of art" such as paintings. These works can related to mapping in many ways. For my next map, I need to learn how to cerate a solid layout for game play. While I can easily look at another map and tell you why the game play it works, it's a bit harder to create something from nothing.
                  I rarely rely upon real-world settings to create a map, I never sketch maps out first on paper. I do look at others' work a lot, though, and give feedback when possible.

I probably don't need to explain it to you, but my approach to creating layouts has always been something like this:

1.) Open UED & start basic - use reasonably large rectangular brushes (eg: largest: 1024 x 1536 - smallest: 256x 256) and subtract away.

Sometimes a basic level will spawn on its own by just putting out 5-10 subtracted brushes that intersect with each other at random locations. Avoid symmetry!, but copying, rotating a few brushes to quickly multiply and expand the map is allowed.

2.) When step one is done, run through the map in the editor - look for areas of connectivity. Look for spots where ramps, stairs or lifts would make sense. I prefer to put lifts on the edges of maps rather the in the center or especially in an open area of a large room.

Try and rearrange brushes that don't look good where they are and establish 3 basic sections of the map - preferably 5 'rooms' overall - each would contain one or multiple of the core gameplay aspects of the level - power up, powerful weapon, other items.

Try to make brushes have varying floor heights within the map rather than a flat 2-level structure.

Look for areas that would be good for power ups - it might be a challenging stride to get where it is, for example, as risk = reward. Build around that component to make it more interesting.

Focus on one room at a time.

3.) Boxey, wide open maps are a turn off - if there's a large retangular corridor or room, I will look for ways to clip the brushes to make it more interesting (sometimes I will do this in step 1 from the start, as it can make some interesting basic layouts).

I try to make sure that range of sight is not excessive, such that I can't see from one end of the map to the other unobstructed. Play around with the brushes to avoid this issue.

4.) Scale - By now you should be able to visually or better yet, physically move around in the map. If you used a reasonably sized-brush when starting out or stayed within normal parameters, the scale will not be an issue. Sometimes, however, scale will be a problem - especially if you resize brushes a lot or create outdoor maps, etc. You must resolve scale problems sooner rather than later. Make sure the rooms and corridors are realistic in size. Often I will introduce static meshes to help ensure the scale works.

5.) General item placement - Power ups should be down or designated by now. So put the weapons & spawn points down next. Look for appropriate spots for weapons and ensure they are balanced across the map. ie: Don't put powerful weapons all on one side.

Next, do the health pickups, similar to above with weapons.

Lastly, decide whether ammo pick ups will go next to the weapons it associates to, or will be strategically located in pockets throughout the map.

The idea is to make the entire level playable, balanced and strategic for players to control.

6.) Alpha test - without going to far in the level design, you want to make sure the basics work well. Otherwise, you're undoing more than you are building. Test it often and get objective input from more than one source.

All the above work is subject to change - be open for input.

Walk away from it if you're hitting mental blocks.

7.) The rest - well that's for another day.

Comment

I rarely rely upon real-world settings to create a map, I never sketch maps out first on paper. I do look at others' work a lot, though, and give feedback when possible.

I probably don't need to explain it to you, but my approach to creating layouts has always been something like this:
                    Thanks for the info. I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the layout part of the process. To me, this is one of the more difficult parts to mapping.

Too many maps that have come out for UT 3 have a nice theme, nice visuals, & nice construction, only to be "blemished" by a ok or poor layout. So far, I fall under this category and want to really learn how to create a nice layout, with out having to look at another map.

I might create a thread to open discussion as it would be helpful for most of us mappers and the info you provided does help.

Comment

Good remake!

Comment

Had to revamp my server because of latest patch and needed to download the map again but there is no listing for it at filefront.

Comment

http://www.utzone.de/include.php?pat...contentid=7227

Comment

thanks Sebastian - good this we got such a helping & caring community to keep things moving

Comment

good one!

Looks almost like a smaller version of one of the stock maps, but it is not. Sky seems slightly blurry but nice leaves, cityscape and floor meshes. Even thought bots blow, the flow and gameplay are great and map is fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X