"Blossom" mutator for better visibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thinsoldier View Post
    Only 60fps? I thought the ps3 was supposed to be a graphical beast. I get consistently over 140 fps on some HOLP maps.
    Epic locked the PS3 version at 30fps. There is no way to tell what would happen if you ran a smaller map such as fearless or HOLP because it is deadlocked. I would assume they would run at near 60fps on the PS3, but actually testing it is the only way to tell.

All of the super high detail in maps is lost in fast paced fragging due to the dropped frames. Its so funny because, they jack up the detail.... and obviously it makes for pretty screenshots, but you don't actually get to see all of the detail in motion due to the 30fps lock.

While the PS3 is a beast, it doesn't really matter how powerfull a game console is. It comes down to the developers and their willingness to restrain themselves and have a code of ethics when developing a game. Sony at Liverpool (Wipeout) and Namco (Ridge Racer 7) obviously have standards, as they both aim for dead on 60fps consistant gameplay. Most other developers simply cannot help themselves and will do whatever they can to sacrifice framerate for prettier screenshots. It is a sad state of affairs.

Epic did do one thing smart though. They added a motion blur effect when whipping around very fast on the PS3. This helps give the illusion of a higher framerate during fast gameplay, or atleast cuts down on seeing split frames which can cause a headache over time.

As for the Blossom mutator and the PS3, I think someone would have to prep a standalone preset version of this mutator, or release 2 or 3 variants with different settings. I don't think the PS3 allows for mutator customization screens yet (does it?)

Comment

Originally posted by RED-FROG View Post
      Comparisions are always the best choice for such mutators.
      Now what we can clearly see on the first one is that the colors are much stronger.
      The colors for weapons/characters are almost too strong, they look like toys with teamskins.
      They no longer "blur with the enviroment" which is rather unrealistic.
      Note that the character colors are made artificially more intense

Comment

This is a great mutator which seems to have lost ground to colour control for some reason.
        I've tried both and blossom is the one i've stuck with mainly because you can disable depth of field and blur and have graduated control over bloom.
        I cant imagine playing without it now.
        A first rate mutator not getting the recognition it deserves in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by TIPPER View Post
          This is a great mutator which seems to have lost ground to colour control for some reason.
          I've tried both and blossom is the one i've stuck with mainly because you can disable depth of field and blur and have graduated control over bloom.
          I cant imagine playing without it now.
          A first rate mutator not getting the recognition it deserves in my opinion.
          (not that we don't appreciate the hard work and talent behind this mutator)

is this still necessary with the latest patch? i can disable all those things in the advanced settings. ((been doing that in the .ini file since the initial release, especially being an instagib player, we need more performance and less distraction) though at this point the average hardware can handle the UT3 engine very well even with everything cranked, Epic did a fine job of creating a product that scales well and performs across a great variety of hardware, they've had their act together in that dept for a good while now.

Comment

So this removes the blurr effect and keeps the visuals.

I'm running everything on highest levels and post processing is on intense

So will I still have the highest possible visuals with mutator enabled?

Comment

I've tried disabling bloom and depth of field and blur both in the advanced menu and in the config file. It just doesn't seem to work that well because some bloom can enhance a map. It's a question of degree.
              All i can say is try it out and see for yourselves.

Comment

I guess I have to try this and see then.

Comment

This mutator is a must have, especially for people who play primarily offline. The game looks so much better with the right configuration. I wish it worked online.

While it is possible to disable Bloom and DOF in the Advanced video settings menu, doing so also disables a lot of other visual effects making the game look terrible.

And to answer Zerglings' question: Yes. Heck like I said, it makes the game look even better.

Comment

Does this mutator if ran on a dedicated server push the settings to the client or is this just for instant action?

Comment

Working...
                    X