Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM-Grinder-RE [Revised Edition!] "Kill me all you want"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Grinder-RE [Revised Edition!] "Kill me all you want"

It's here folks! The final version of my version of grinder (not a true remake but a remake in my own style, thus the RE added to the end). I want to thank all who beta tested it, and everyone including steve for the suggestions for changes. Also the creator of CTF-React, for the inspiration of the post process volume. Changes from the beta include:

- Added a multiply node to the floor material so it's not as reflective, looks better now imo
    - Added a window in the shock room so you can see to the outside world
    - Added some trim to the ramp near the jump pad right outside the flak room
    - Added a few more crates in the flak room so it's not so empty now
    - Replaced neon light walls with rusty lights
    - Took care of some BSP problems
    - Made some ceilings better looking with pipe meshes when you look up near the minigun room hallway

Screenshots as before:

[shot]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/Ionium/ScreenShot00000.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/Ionium/ScreenShot00001.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/Ionium/ScreenShot00002.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/Ionium/ScreenShot00003.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/Ionium/ScreenShot00004.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/Ionium/ScreenShot00005.jpg[/shot]

[shot]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/Ionium/ScreenShot00006.jpg[/shot]

This map is cooked for PC and PS3. I hope everybody enjoys playing it as much as I did making it.

PC version here:

http://files.filefront.com/DM+Grinde.../fileinfo.html

PS3 version here:

http://files.filefront.com/DM+Grinde.../fileinfo.html

I did fix that area.

Also, nobody really cares about a preview pic I've noticed, or playercount, or readme really, since nobody ever reads it. Maybe 1% of the players read it. What did you expect other than a "thank you for the suggestions you listed"

Comment

Originally posted by Bret Hart View Post
      I did fix that area.

Also, nobody really cares about a preview pic I've noticed, or playercount, or readme really, since nobody ever reads it. Maybe 1% of the players read it. What did you expect other than a "thank you for the suggestions you listed"
      Five bucks mist3r!

Comment

nice work Bret !

I love those spooky color ...
        I need zombie model now

Comment

Finally someone who appreciates the map!

Comment

I did fix that area.

I care about a preview pic! Dont bother with readme's though.

Nice map - I like it!

Comment

Okay, that's great. Moving right along now.

Comment

Also, nobody really cares about a preview pic I've noticed, or playercount
                I do! As do many others, I'm sure. It doesn't just look better, more polished, with pics & playercounts, but can actually be helpful if you have a lot of custom maps installed, and start forgetting which is which etc.

or readme really, since nobody ever reads it. Maybe 1% of the players read it.
                Sometimes I do even that.

Anyway, thanks for the cool remake, it's good to have multiple versions of the classics.

Comment

High-class work as usual, Brett Like your take on it - the original Grinder was far too bland IMHO, late 90's graphics capabilities notwithstanding. This really captures the feel of a run-down warehouse type of area, and you could believe it'd be used for something like UT. The lighting's perfect IMO, and although I didn't see the beta (PS3 player) the pipework you added near the stinger room fits the theme well

Works perfectly on my PS3, no frame-rate issues or slowdown. Flows nicely, although it took until the second play-through to see the upper levels; most of the fragging took place in the rocket-launcher room

Definitely a keeper, thanks for taking the time to cook for PS3

On another note, where the preview pic thing is concerned - it's rare to see it on PS3 mods; the only ones I've seen are for the CBP & Captain Snarf's maps, and they all use stock textures. The only one I have installed that uses a preview pic from the map itself is VCTF-Hostility Arena - I'd not really taken much notice previously & didn't realise it was even possible on PS3 till I checked through my installed maps.

Looks as though there's some incomprehensica you have to do in the PS3-UTGame.ini file loading the texture package on PS3 "under the UI LOD group, and then cook the package using the UFE cooker" (according to UDN), whatever the hell that all means, before you can even call it in the "PreviewImageMarkup=" line! Being as that appears to be the case, I couldn't blame mappers if all that was a hell of a lot of trouble for too little reward, particularly as PS3 users aren't used to seeing preview pics anyway ...

For info though Brett - Grinder shows up in the PS3's DM map list only as RE - took a while to find it, thought at first that there may have been a problem with the cook. The full name shows on the loading screen though

Comment

i care bout prewiew picts(bout 400 custom maps ) and if i was new to ut i had read the "read me"to know the way to install custom maps...
                    very good remake ;pure fun to play it
                    thx

Comment

Hate to say it Bret, as much as I loved conveyor, I automatically dismiss any map that has no preview, and /alot/ of other people will too simply because it's trivial to apply, and screams unfinished in the map list. Alot of people complained about epic not putting preview pics in their own bonus pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Alopex View Post
                        Hate to say it Bret, as much as I loved conveyor, I automatically dismiss any map that has no preview, and /alot/ of other people will too simply because it's trivial to apply, and screams unfinished in the map list. Alot of people complained about epic not putting preview pics in their own bonus pack.
                        Forget the preview pic, takes like 3 seconds to add youself. The map it's self is what needs to be finished. Doesn't look anywhere near what a final map should be like, more so from such a renowned mapper.

I'll be a blatant as possible.
                        1:Atrocious lighting
                        2:Over use of same wall/door meshes
                        3:Over use of the same light meshes
                        4:Lacking in visual and audible effects
                        5:Ill placed meshes
                        6:Very rough/sharp edging
                        7:Overly gritty in appearance

No offense towards you yourself Bret, but I'm not making it up when I say this map gives me a headache. (lighting/gritty texturing)
                        Not to fond of the industrialism either, but thats just me.
                        Sadly this hasn't stayed in my archives.

Comment

Originally posted by Akira Kurosawa View Post
                          Forget the preview pic, takes like 3 seconds to add youself. The map it's self is what needs to be finished. Doesn't look anywhere near what a final map should be like, more so from such a renowned mapper.

I'll be a blatant as possible.
                          1:Atrocious lighting
                          2:Over use of same wall/door meshes
                          3:Over use of the same light meshes
                          4:Lacking in visual and audible effects
                          5:Ill placed meshes
                          6:Very rough/sharp edging
                          7:Overly gritty in appearance

No offense towards you yourself Bret, but I'm not making it up when I say this map gives me a headache. (lighting/gritty texturing)
                          Not to fond of the industrialism either, but thats just me.
                          Sadly this hasn't stayed in my archives.
                          Okay next time I'll be random and use random lights, random wall textures, non-consistent items throughout the map and put necris / HU / LT all into one map ok?

Comment

Oh and dont forget ASC, anyway you did a really good job here i like how it looks and plays. Good to have another great map from you.

Comment

Okay next time I'll be random and use random lights, random wall textures, non-consistent items throughout the map and put necris / HU / LT all into one map ok?
                              Learn to take constructive criticism instead of batting it off with a witless attempt at sarcasm. This map is ****.

It's obvious the map was made either in lack of effort, detail, interest, or capability.
                              I only wish to help.
                              And while I don't agree with stevelois or his overly high opinion of this map, he is trying to help as well.

I took the time, and effort to reinstall your map, and take constructive pictures.
                              Here are 18 pics of 'some' of the things I find wrong with your map.
                              Mainly focusing on the overuse of lighting meshes, and lack of detail.

More In Next Post.

Comment

Working...
                              X