Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-Skybound [Video][Pics][Final]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Skybound [Video][Pics][Final]

Name: CTF-Skybound
    Version: Final
    Release Date: July 4th, 2008
    Author: Kibbler
    Compatibility: UT3 1.2

PC Download: CTF-Skybound [29.2MB]
    PS3 Download: CTF-SkyboundPS3 [17.9MB]

==================================================

Description:
    Small chunks of land have torn away from the ground and floated miles into the air in a harsh and desolate mountain range. Each team must defend their own flag, while simultaneously conquering the isles in the sky and assaulting the enemy base. Watch your step!

This CTF map uses jumppads. Lots of them. There are many different paths that serve different strategical purposes; check them out and get a feel for what I placed them there for. There are no hitscan weapons (shock/sniper) intentionally; it's far too open and I want to force you to get upclose and personal!

Screenshot/Video:
    I have just uploaded a video giving a quick 2-minute glimpse into what my level plays like. The video sucks because I'm not concerned about quality at this point, but it serves the purpose of sampling if you just want to see if you will enjoy it or not.

YouTube Gameplay Sampler: Click here for a little preview!

Comments:
    This is my first Unreal3 map. I submitted an earlier version to the MSU contest, but I have made some small changes and am now declaring this map final.

The purpose/drive behind creating this map was to make a map that makes Unreal3 play differently than it's stock intended gameplay. The bright floating islands and blue skies help break away from the dark, claustrophobic interior firefights, and the jumppad chains are just there for fun.

I had a lot of fun making this map, so I really hope you guys enjoy it. Feedback is always much appreciated, and can be sent to this Unreal3 username via PM, or through my e-mail which is tucked away safely inside my map's readme file.

Thanks for the interest! Have fun and let me know what you think!

Sorry but you cooked it incorrectly for PS3. The final file should be a USERDATA.JAM file. Maybe this will help.

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=597904

If not then just ask AnubanUT2, euchreplayer23, or RoninMastaFX to do it. Anyway the map looks great from the vid, can't wait for the cook.

Comment

Black star, thanks for the help! I didn't realize I had to save the USERDATA.JAM, but I saved all the files generated in the middle of the cook instead. Oops.

I am just uploading the revised PS3 .zip right now, so if anyone else tries the PS3 build, can you let me know if it works please? Also, if you could comment on the performance of the map itself, that'd be great! If it's real bad for some reason, I'll do a performance pass for the PS3 so it's easily playable.

Thanks guys!

Comment

This map looks incredible. Downloading now.

Comment

Hey guys,

If anyone has downloaded the PS3 version of my map and had it work, could you post here please? I'd like to verify I got it right this time and take down that nasty warning about it probably being broken.

Thanks!

Comment

Kibbler, I'll check it tonight after work, and post tonight or tommorrow. If anybody wants to beat me to it, by all means do it!

Comment

Played today for PS3, runs perfectly. I havent experienced any problems. Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kibbler View Post
                Hey guys,

If anyone has downloaded the PS3 version of my map and had it work, could you post here please? I'd like to verify I got it right this time and take down that nasty warning about it probably being broken.

Thanks!
                Concur with black_star, this map runs perfectly on my PS3 so definitely take down that warning

If as you said you've set out to create something a little different I think you've succeeded admirably I have to say that I like the dark & atmospheric feel of a lot of the Necris maps, but this is a refreshing change.

I like the impression of an unrestricted skyscape - some maps do feel a little claustrophobic so this counters nicely. The jump-pads are fun, and provide a good opportunity for mid-air target practice I also like the fact that although you're miles in the air & zipping backwards & forwards between floating islands, you can still enjoy yourself without worrying about falling off too easily

There are a couple of small graphical glitches - a jump-pad floating just above the rocks on the right-hand (seen from the red base) side of the central island, and a flickering texture on the rocks just next to it, repeated in the shadowing texture towards the base of the ramp on that side. That same flickering texture can also be seen next to the shield belt, next to one of the stinger's ammo packs on the same island & also on the left-hand island. Please take this more as an amateur attempt to help out than picking holes in your work - I wouldn't have noticed them at all had I not been floating about pre-match taking in the eye-candy Thought you might like to know. Other than these IMHO the map is visually impressive

Overall then I'd say this is a pretty impressive first UT3 map! Excellent work, thank you for taking the time to cook for PS3, and I'll definitely be looking forward to any future work from you

Comment

black_star and feisar; thanks for confirming it runs on PS3. (and that it runs well, apparently )

feisar; thanks for the detailed review! I'll take this chance to explain the graphical issues you called out. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this firsthand, but I had a lot of trouble getting all of my jumppads to 'anchor' properly to the mesh/terrain it was floating above. My MSU candidate was actually much worse, where about 75% were noticeably floating off the ground. They have this really funky collision with the meshes below, and I just couldn't find a surefire solution in time. I eventually decided to play the "graphics > gameplay!" card and just release it, but it does bother me that they float. :P

Oh, and for the flickering... I could have solved that by swapping the outer Stinger islands to a terrain base instead of all mesh. I couldn't figure out why it was z-fighting with itself when it was only 1 mesh...

Looking back, I actually wish I took the extra day or two to smush those bugs. This map is actually the one I used in the devmods.com contest, so once I was finished those revisions, I considered it 'done'. Maybe I'll work on a SE version, or a 2nd edition more focused on visuals to be released later on.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback guys, and for verifying it works! Glad you are enjoying it.

--Kibb

Comment

I like it a lot, plays very well. I played 4v4 with bots on skilled, was constantly on the move. The first time the jump pads started throwing me around for multiple bounces, I was a little nervous, but once I got used to it I started to really enjoy it. Bounce, Bounce, spin, fire 3 times, dodge, run to another pad, bounce, spin, shoot, Whew! Good times, good times.... Graphics seemed fine, really a crisp clear blue sky day feeling. I was always playing, I never just walked around, so I wouldn't have seen that stuff. I was suprised I didn't get shot from far away much, the contours of the ground helps. Really nice! My only negative would be, get the translocators out of there, they don't add anything to it.

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this firsthand, but I had a lot of trouble getting all of my jumppads to 'anchor' properly to the mesh/terrain it was floating above.
                      I know exactly what you mean O_o

Nice CTF map mate, good luck in the comp. But if you are ever making any revisions, I'm not sure about the way you take damage from jump pads. Maybe if you had an elevated landing spot?

Comment

Originally posted by Squiggles View Post
                        But if you are ever making any revisions, I'm not sure about the way you take damage from jump pads. Maybe if you had an elevated landing spot?
                        Yeah, I should have tested this further. I thought I had stamped out most instances of jumppad damage, but upon playing around a bit more after release, I realized that it wasn't actually that hard to get the player to take falling damage. It's generally a nominal amount, but I have had it kill me before, and it's definitely annoying either way.

Thanks for the suggestion on raising the elevation! I think shortening the distance between the final jumppad and its destination would work (speaking in regards to the jumppad chains). I originally toyed with the idea of landing in water, but it was too much of a handicap for the swimming player (literally a sitting duck).

The more feedback I hear on the map, the more I realize I should have publicly tested and gotten more feedback to work with. Mappers who have my same tendicies, take my advice; get people playing your map! You'll catch things you are unable to see yourself!

I'd like to fix the instances of floating jumppads, jumppad visibility, jumppad scaling, flickering textures, overall lighting, **** the skybox, **** the fogline, etc etc etc... it looks like I'm going to have to release a SkyboundSE one day. :P

Thanks for the feedback, all! Hope you're enjoying it. ;D

Comment

WOW, This map makes me sad...... looks so good, even with terrible video quality, Is it REALLY your first map? or is it like your first REAL project??? Because I am working on my first outdoor map right now, that I've only been working on <12 hours, it looks like ****, but only because the editor keeps messing up. Im going to relese a beta version tonight or tomorrow, so I can get Input on how it plays, then when I get back from vacation next week, I'll probobly look at my feedback, and start the whole map from scratch and make it my first full project.

Comment

7thCrest, I have dabbled with mapping before (worked with Unreal2k4 and made a map or two), but this is my first personal Unreal3 map. I have a bit of prior Unreal3 experience, but never something of this scale.

If you want a hand with your outdoor map, send me a PM when your beta is posted and I'll try and give you some pointers. (psh, as if I'm a professional... take the advice for what it's worth. )

Comment

wow....pure fun in the air
                              one of the best ctf map thx for that

Comment

Working...
                              X