No announcement yet.

CTF-Biomium - Updated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You seem like the type of person who take constructive criticism well so I plan to write up a detailed summary of what I thought of your level but it's 3 AM now and I need sleep.

On another note the framerate is much better now.

Comment

You seem like the type of person who take constructive criticism well so I plan to write up a detailed summary of what I thought of your level but it's 3 AM now and I need sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Tailsnake View Post

That is good.

Comment

Well I have some free time, I know this is supposed to be a remake of another level so you may not want to change anything in order to remain faithful to the original.

The lack of a skybox has already been mentioned, so has the extreme switch in colour when moving from the red base to the blue and vice versa, the framerate is also much better but still a bit sketchy in some areas (some optimization is still required).

One of biggest things I think need to be changed are the ammo pickups. Ammo for many different weapons are grouped closely together away from their weapon pickups. This means that generally somebody will have to pickup ammo they don't need in order to get the ammo they do, thus depriving teammates of that ammo.

Another thing I think needs to be looked at is the powerups. For a relatively small level 2 armour pick ups, 2 kegs, a Udamage, and a berserk is a little much. I'd say remove the Udamage/Berserk and move the keg into the Udamage/Berserk room (this will also increase traffic in that room making the trap even more useful and central to gameplay). The cameras could also be changed to show the Keg in the central room too.

The entrance to the central room could be a little bigger in order to allow easy movement from one side of the hall to the other giving more options during flag runs (and account for the fact that PS3 users can't crouch). If possible, a slow volume could be placed there in order to add more risk to taking this route and to keep people in there long enough to activate the trap.

My last suggestion is in regards to the flag room. The small corridor containing the link gun. If it had exits/entrances at one or both of the places I indicated below and you removed the exit/entrance by the link gun it would serve as a viable route to escape and infiltrate the flag room and it would alleviate the slight bottle neck you currently have in the flag room. If you put a few vials in there I think it would really improve the flow of the level.

Sorry for the quality, I had to use a crappy cellphone camera

Other than that it's a solid level and I wish you the best of luck with it.

Comment

Thanks again.

As far as the layout, it's not originally mine and I really do not want to change anything that drastic.

I really would not even have the room with the Udamage/Berserk there since it was not in the original. I am still revising how I am going to do that.

What I originally wanted was to have the power up interchange between the Udamage and the Berserk. Still working on it though.

I am still looking into what more I can do to optimize the map. Thanks again for the time.

Comment

PS3 Vision made my system Crash,requiring a hard reset.

Comment

I tried to load the map with custom character = off but it didnt work anyway so something isnt right with the map.

Comment

updated version did not work on my ps3 as well, i have had custom characters off for months

Comment

Sorry for the inconvenience.

I may have screwed something up that I'm not aware of. Downside of not having a PS3 to test this on myself.

I will work on this tonight when I get home.

Thanks for your patience.

Comment

Ok sounds great m8, thx

Comment

hows it going m8? any luck fixing it? i really liked chrome in 2k3 so looking forward to this one.

Comment

Hello and thanks for the follow up.

I didn't want to post this until I was absolutely sure there was no alternative. My HDD pretty much died (dunno how, bad luck for me I suppose). I lost a lot of files including project files for my school and work which was pretty much a priority for me to try to recover.
                          This happened a little over a week ago. I had a lot of my school work noted on paper so I just had to re-collate them to the new HD. (I now also invested in an external drive to avoid losing everything in the future).

Anyways, unfortunately, this map along with some others were part of what got lost. I really just lost the motivation to want to continue it afterward. Plus I was more bummed that I lost a WAR map that I was pretty much almost done with (I had been working on that map since April).

On a lighter note, I did start working on something new. An original CTF map. I'll post about that and see where that goes in a little bit.

Comment

sry to hear m8 and sad for us that dont get to play this map then

Comment

Hey, I'm resurrecting this thread; I've noticed the Filefront links are a 404 now. I'd really like to see how this runs; if anyone has another link to dl from for now, let me know

Comment

I did find a copy of the PC version, it's pretty laggy compared to other maps, but it looks nice. I think some optimization is in order, but not bad...

Comment

Working...
                                X