No announcement yet.

DM-Shrift by genthly --- MSU top10 --- DevMods contest winner --- 3DBuzz top10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Map is gorgeous, very well designed, I think (at least, it has not the standart layout of the usual Liandri maps), but I found some little things that can be improved :
    Somebody asked me on an other thread to post them, so here I am :

First, I've found blurry textures, here :
    screencap 1
    And here, in the cave near the water :
    screencap 2

Invisible walls are never welcome in a video game. The ones you have put in the water here could be relocated to fit with the scenery, or remplaced with higher rocks or bigger pieces of wood. Anything would be better than an invisible wall.
    Screencap 3

When the player is here, he can see the water below, and since it is just as high as the other place on my previous cap, the player doesn't have any reason to think that jumping into the water should be deadly...
    Maybe you could do something about it, by placing (sharp) rocks in the water, or closing the barrier.
    Screencap 4

The impacts of the weapons go through the wood here :
    Screencap 5

One last thing : I'm experiencing a huge FPS drop (17 fps at times) when playing on this map, with, and without bots. I know that the details require a huge amout of work from the GPU and CPU, especially with the textures settings at max, like here, but on other demanding maps, like Krodan or Waterfalls, I don't experience this issue. I don't know much about mapping, but maybe there are ways to improve the optimisation or your map.

Thank you very much for the map, and again, congratulations, this is probably the best looking map for UT3 out here. The issues with it are only there because it is more complex than other maps.

Comment

this map reminds me of Medal of honor
      btw this map looks fun and cool

Comment

Zemious: Thx

TwelVeR: what exactly do you mean? Something in particular? Coz tbh i never played MoH
        btw, thx

Originally posted by Artheval_Pe View Post
        The Map is gorgeous, very well designed, I think (at least, it has not the standart layout of the usual Liandri maps), but I found some little things that can be improved :
        Somebody asked me on an other thread to post them, so here I am :

First, I've found blurry textures, here :
        screencap 1
        And here, in the cave near the water :
        screencap 2

Invisible walls are never welcome in a video game. The ones you have put in the water here could be relocated to fit with the scenery, or remplaced with higher rocks or bigger pieces of wood. Anything would be better than an invisible wall.
        Screencap 3

When the player is here, he can see the water below, and since it is just as high as the other place on my previous cap, the player doesn't have any reason to think that jumping into the water should be deadly...
        Maybe you could do something about it, by placing (sharp) rocks in the water, or closing the barrier.
        Screencap 4

The impacts of the weapons go through the wood here :
        Screencap 5

One last thing : I'm experiencing a huge FPS drop (17 fps at times) when playing on this map, with, and without bots. I know that the details require a huge amout of work from the GPU and CPU, especially with the textures settings at max, like here, but on other demanding maps, like Krodan or Waterfalls, I don't experience this issue. I don't know much about mapping, but maybe there are ways to improve the optimisation or your map.

Thank you very much for the map, and again, congratulations, this is probably the best looking map for UT3 out here. The issues with it are only there because it is more complex than other maps.
        Thank you Artheval_Pe for this, it will for sure be very handy when i'll be making the 1.1 and the night version.
        This had to be a lot of testing for you
        But there are still a few bugs you didn't see ( hehe ; )

Cheers guys, thanks for the comments!

Comment

this map reminds me of Medal of honor
          That's probably because it is based upon an actual location (is it, genthly ?) or at least inspired by different locations in Europe (The only part of the world where you can to find ruins of churches)
          Are you American or European, TwelVeR ? If you're American, that might explain why it reminds you of Medal of Honor. Personnaly, it reminds me more of actual places I've been to.

This had to be a lot of testing for you
          Huh, in fact, not so much, I have been trying custom maps these days, and I tend to try to see what's wrong and where are the limits of the maps. And since I've come accros bad custom textures on other maps, I was checking if the textures in your map were well displayed.
          Glad to be of help, anyways. Good luck with the other versions.

Comment

Nope. It's all made up (of course there must have been inspirations like pics, or places in movies etc. which i might have seen, but shrift was first just a church and a waterfall, later it evolved step by step), actually i've never been to such a place. but for sure i'd like to

Comment

but for sure i'd like to
              I think that there are a few places like this around the Mediterranean Sea, on the cost of Italy, France, Greece, etc...

I've never been to such a place exactly, but I've seen ruins and old churches like this, with a lot of vegetation around in France. I've seen nice ruins as well in Ireland (but the weather and the vegetation are not the same as those on the map )

Comment

Thank you, looks awesome, but the ps3 version... when?

I can't wait to play it

Comment

Get the RC2 in Beta thread here:
                  http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=608441

You're gonna love it!

Comment

i saw one little bug. when u walk in the cave the light pops alittle to green, but overall a beautifully done map! =)

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                      Get the RC2 in Beta thread here:
                      http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=608441

You're gonna love it!
                      Thank you.
                      I tried it, and i left you my feedback in the beta post.

http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...2#post25496612

I hope i can be useful.

Comment

Hey Gen

In case you're not aware of this, moving forward in the building give some odd results about the wall in front and a part of the ceiling :

[screenshot]http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2923/screenshot00001ld9.jpg[/screenshot] [screenshot]http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7325/screenshot00000os3.jpg[/screenshot]

The next version will be very polished for msuc phase 2

BTW, any news from the company ?

Comment

What do you mean next version

Comment

Originally posted by LtClifff View Post
                            What do you mean next version
                            He told us (in a previous post) that he will release another version with some bug fix in time for MSUC phase 2 later since he discover some bugs. I also found some since the release of the final 1.0 that I report in the final thread if you want to see them. Others as also point out some little things.

I just wish that he will release that 1.1 version one day.

Didn't hear from him recently. I know he's busy in RL so I don't bother him.

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                              He told us (in a previous post) that he will release another version with some bug fix in time for MSUC phase 2 later since he discover some bugs. I also found some since the release of the final 1.0 that I report in the final thread if you want to see them. Others as also point out some little things.

I just wish that he will release that 1.1 version one day.

Didn't hear from him recently. I know he's busy in RL so I don't bother him.
                              Hey i'm still here

I'm going to a BIG Company this wednesday, so i'm a bit busy now
                              But don't worry i'll do everything, as i promised.
                              And probably i'll be doing some Alpine/Shrift work today

Comment

this map is really awesome good gameplay and good visuals very great indeed
                                epic should really hire you

your other map was awesome too you gots some skillz you know

Comment

Working...
                                X