Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT2D 1.2 for PC and PS3, Turn UT into a 2D Fragfest!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT2D 1.2 for PC and PS3, Turn UT into a 2D Fragfest!

2.0 Beta available:
    http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=619587

Name: UT2D
    Version: 1.2
    Credits: Joe Bates (jbizzler/ZeelessOne), Chaosnight for the map Chaotic, Odedge for the map Rising Sun 1.1, SAHChandler for the map Vapor Trail, and Rehevkor for the map Waterworks
    Homepage: This thread.
    Download:
    PC: Mod DB, FilePlanet
    PS3: Mod DB
    Reviews: GameSpy

Description:
    This mod creates gametypes that turns UT3 into a 2D game! You jump a little higher, and some things are missing, but other than that it's basically UT in 2D!

Changes:
    Added UT2DArmorPickup_ShieldBelt (I never realized it had a drop; the other armors don't).
    Fixed weapons not dropping.
    Fixed CTF HUD navigation arrows pointing to flag.
    Changed name and description of UT2D-RisingSun2D to UT2D-RisingSun11 per author's request.

1.1b
    Fixed Waterworks not working properly on the PS3.

Changed the spectator camera so it zooms out when unfocused.
    When spectating local bots, the camera will now move with respect to where they're looking.
    Changed how bots react to eachother when they're really close to eachother.
    Changed how far bots can see.
    Light modifications to UT2D-Chaotic.
    Added maps UT2D-RisingSun2D, UT2D-VaporTrail, and UT2D-Waterworks

Added ability to jump out of water.

0.9.8b
    Added UT2DBlockingVolume.

Tweaked spectator mode.
    Made players walk through each other.
    Blocking volumes change (use regular BlockingVolumes now)

Added PS3 support.
    Fixed camera effects so they stay on the screen (i.e. Impact Hammer blood spatter)
    Fixed recursive EncroachedBy bug.
    Removed UT2D Instagib mutator along with Instagib Rifle (suddenly stopped working!)
    Included UT2D-Chaotic
    Some other stuff I can't remember.

Fixed tiny bug that makes bots appear to shoot behind themselves.
    Added the ability to extend view downward while crouching.
    New level border mandate, see mapping notes.

Added UT2DScout for proper bot pathing (see mapping notes)
    Made the AI better again.

Added UT2D Duel gametype.
    Restricted AI sight to be similar to human's.
    Greatly improved AI to act more human.
    Bots only go after flag bases in CTF games.

Made bots far better.

Fixed dropped powerups leaving the 2D plane.

Restricted UT2D Instagib mutator to UT2D gametypes.
    Made wall-jumping values the same as they will be in Zeeless.
    Added some additional mapping instructions.

Original Release

Installation:
    Installation is pretty straightforward. For PC, just drag the included UTGame folder to "My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3" or wherever you keep your local UT3 files. Then just start up the game, and you'll have three wonderful new gametypes.

For the PS3, place the included USERDATA.JAM file in the root directory (i.e. E:\) of some media the PS3 can read, like a USB flash drive. Start UT3 on the PS3, plug in the media, goto Community->My Content and hit [square] to import it. You should now have the gametypes listed.

What's included:
    Because of its 2D nature, some weapons had to be modified, and others excluded. Also, obviously default UT3 maps won't work very well with it. Here's a list of what has been modified and what hasn't.

Gametypes:
    These are exactly the same as their original shipping counterparts. They only exist to implement the different camera and physics changes. You get:
    UT2D Deathmatch
    UT2D Team Deathmatch
    UT2D Capture The Flag
    UT2D Duel

Weapons:
    Here is a list of all the weapons that have been modified for 2D gameplay.
    Avril (It's silly without vehicles, but I included it anyway)
    Bio Rifle
    Enforcer
    Flak Cannon (The shells bounce 2D off walls but still spread)
    Impact Hammer (Way more useful in this)
    Link Gun
    Rocket Launcher (The grenades stay on the 2D plane)
    Shock Rifle
    Stinger
    Translocator (The disk stays on the 2D plane)

Weapons not in:
    Sniper
    Redeemer
    Instagib Rifle
    All deployables

Powerups:
    All the powerups are working as well. See mapping notes for a more technical explanation of this.

Cheats:
    AllWeapons will now give you the 2D weapons only.
    DoubleUp will give you a second 2D Enforcer.

Maps:
    This includes the following maps:
    UT2D-Chaotic by Chaosnight
    UT2D-RisingSun11 by Odedge
    UT2D-VaporTrail by SAHChandler
    UT2D-Waterworks by Rehevkor

Mutators:
    All the shipping mutators should work except Weapon Replacement and Instagib.

Controls:
    The controls are simple. Everything is for the most part the same as UT3. The only change is forward and backward ('W' and 'S' on a keyboard and up and down on the left analog stick) now make you jump and crouch respectively.

Mapping notes:
    First and foremost, you need to get UT2D into UnrealEd. To do this, first, make sure UnrealEd is closed, then open UTEditor.ini, and find the section that reads [ModPackages]. Add a line to it that reads:
    ModPackages=UT2D
    Then copy
    \Published\CookedPC\Script\UT2D.u
    to
    \Unpublished\CookedPC\Script\UT2D.u

Another important thing is proper bot pathing. You need to modify UnrealEd to make bot paths based on the new jump height. Just open up UTEngine.ini, goto [UTEditor.UTUnrealEdEngine] and set ScoutClassName=UT2D.UT2DScout. Make sure you're under the UTEditor section. There are two other ScoutClassName properties, and it has to be the one in the editor section. Make sure if you ever map for regular UT3 again to change this back.
    You can now start UnrealEd.

Mapping for 2D has a lot of different rules. Naturally, all maps should have the prefix 'UT2D' and should support all the UT2D gametypes. So, place UTTeamPlayerStarts and UT2DFlagBases (More on flags in a bit). Flag bases can be in Deathmatch games. They just don't have flags on them, so it's safe to include them.

Realize all characters will always be on the plane Y=0. So spawns, factories and triggers should be accessable from this 2D plane. When your done with a map, go through all the pickups and navigation points and make sure they're at exactly at Y=0. You can do this easily under the actor properties in the "Movement" section.

The camera won't always be in the level. Make sure there is always something for the camera to see to avoid the hall of mirrors effect. Chaotic is a good example of this. Tentacles at the edge of the level block players from ever seeing outside it. Make sure there's always something to look at, and don't let the camera get to such a position where the rest of the level is totally blocked out. The spectator camera is free to go anywhere, though, so don't try and stop it.

Surround the 2D gameplay plane with 2 UT2DBlockingVolumes, leaving a 64uu valley. Look at one of the included maps for an example of this. This way, players who feign death will stay on the 2D plane, and bots know they are restricted to it as well, and don't try and strafe out of it. It lets dead ragdolls through, too.

Some actors should be the UT2D version. Rule of thumb, look at an actor's child classes and see if there is a UT2D version first before placing it in the level. There are special flag bases and poweup factories so they spawn 2D versions that don't bounce out of the 2D plane when dropped. For weapon factories, you can use the normal ones, but make sure they only spawn UT2DWeaps.

Bots can swim, but barely. They have trouble moving vertically and jumping out of water. I suggest that if you have water in your map, don't require them to move vertically and give them ramps to get out.

It'd be best to put things in the foreground and background for aesthetics, even though they can't be touched. Don't put too much in the foreground, or it will get in the way of the camera.

Add vertical corridors for players to wall dodge back and forth off of and move vertically!

On the UnrealEd toolbar, click View->World Properties. In that, click on WorldInfo, and expand GameTypesSupportedOnThisMap. If you include the UT2D gametypes, then they will be cooked into the map file. This has its pros and cons. If I make a change to the UT2D code that would break your map, it continues to function the way it did when you cooked it. I think you need these for it to work on the PS3 as well. However, if you want my changes, you need to recook and redistribute your map. This shouldn't be a big problem, though, because I don't intend to work with UT2D much after this release.

Be original and have fun!

Bug reporting:
    I don't know of any bugs in this, but they might be there. Please post bugs right here on this thread.

Again, could someone please install the PS3 version and tell me eahc map has a screenshot and description and plays in each gametype? Thanks!

I really hope there aren't any little/big bugs left. I'm going to tutor at a Summer camp these next two weeks and won't have much time before the contest.

Comment

Thanks for this great mod =D

Comment

I tried out the newest version and the CTF arrows are being displayed and the weapons are being dropped in the newer maps. Nice!

Comment

Put it on PS3, tried all four maps, on all four modes again, and they work great. Every one of them.
          I never even thought of the weapons drop thing.

As for nitpicking, there's that the flag goes all nuts when you go through the portal playing CTF in VaporTrail (but it quickly settles back down to normal).

Also, I noticed that after matches of Duel, I couldn't click the mouse (Yes, I play the PS3 one with Kb&M) to skip to the post-game screen, which meant I had to wait for the game to load the screen with the scores on it's own, then load the next map on it's own. I could do everything else (leave to the menu, tell it when I was ready) I just couldn't click through to speed it up. Is that normal for Duel mode? I don't play it very often. Regardless though, it sounds like an issue you wouldn't be able to fix anyways.

I was surprised how fast you corrected the arrows issue and the weapons drop. Nice dedication, and nice work.

Comment

is there any known servers to play ut2d on because i would realy like that

Comment

Man I had to register to comment on this mod... it's freaking sweet! I had a blast playing with my friend and 30 computers lol. I used this with the Thor Gun mod and it worked (though I also wish instagib worked with this mod)... If you haven't tried it, use the thor gun with this mod to see some awesome graphics

Comment

very fun mod, but needs 1 improvement...

For all the 'cool people' like me out there who use inverted mouse, it's pretty unplayable - and toggling it off and on between matches is annoying. Can we please flip the X axis input for us inverters so it makes some sort of sense?

Comment

just for you nitpickers (:P), the freaking out flag is because in reality, the levels are not placed side by side. they are placed vertically to each other. think of the portal as a massive jumppad tat flings you instantly upward, but anything attached, such as a clothe, is instantly stretched. It's a tiny "bug", but one that doe not affect gameply.

Comment

Guess it's time to remove 1.0 and download 1.2!
                    I was allready loving this mod and it's awesome to see it's only getting better!

cheers to the author for keeping this mod alive and kicking!

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Thanks for pointing that out pospi. I never considered an inverted mouse at all. I'll include it in next release.

Hopefully Make Something Unreal will give this publicity, and servers will start; I don't know of any myself.

Comment

Runestorm's Thor lightning gun looks cool in Ut2d. Also makes for good transportation.
                        The problem with most custom weapons in this mod is the crosshair doesn't move.
                        Is there anyway to make it so the crosshair can be used for any cutom weapon? Or must special versions of the weapon be made to work with Ut2d.

The other thing is the jump. You jump really high in Ut2d, that's cool. But basically jump the same height every time. For instance lets take sonic 2. There's this small rock. To jump over it i just quickly tap the jump key. If it's a higher platform i tap and hold the jump key for a few split seconds longer thus giving me a little more control over the jump height. In otherwords two variations of jump height for less predictability and more control over your chracter's navigation.

The other thing is must all maps be made to support CTF too or can there be some exceptions?

The problem with making it have to support CTF is that all the maps have to be symmetrical for balance. To be honest i would'nt mind assymetrical CTF maps, but is it a must?

Comment

Unfortunately, I need to code for each individual new weapon. Maybe I'll contact the creator of the lightening gun and see if he'll allow me to make a quick addon to UT2D. I'd make it a seperate download so neither of our packages have to depend on eachother. Let's see how Make Something Unreal goes first.

The jump is something I'm aware of. Basically, this game is UT put in 2D; the high jump is only in there to make maps actually possible. I plan on having a dynamic jumpheight system in Zeeless, but here I'm leaving this as much like UT as possible.

As for CTF, you could remove the flag bases, but then players would see it listed in the CTF gametype, and fail to find the flags. If you want, you can make asymetrical maps, but you might as well put flag bases in there in case anyone wants to. At least allowing flags in an unbalanced map is better than no flags at at all. Look at Halo. Every gametype works in every map, but some are clearly designed for ones over others.

Comment

Screenshots?

Comment

Hey you know...Vaportrail isn't symmetrical. Just saying :P

Comment

Working...
                              X