Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

DM/CTF-Str8Control [NEW DOWNLOAD] [PC & PS3]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM/CTF-Str8Control [NEW DOWNLOAD] [PC & PS3]

General Informations

Name:
    DM-Str8Control
    Version: July 2008
    Author: Christian Philippe Guay aka "Hyrage"
    Release Date: July, 08 //

Description: The human race is actually living is hardest time, but do not give up yet. Your fight has just begun, because you are the new threat. The action actually takes place in a lost and abandonned area of a city.

Screenshots:

[SHOT]http://img376.imageshack.us/img376/3039/800x6001sz6.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/7858/800x6002uj9.jpg[/SHOT]

[SHOT]http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/4671/800x6003og5.jpg[/SHOT]

Map Content:
    • Hybrid Design [DM, TDM & CTF]
    • Highly Interactive Design for both hardcore and casual players
    • Advanced Gameplays
    • Custom Teleporters
    • Custom WeaponPickup: Enforcer - if you open Kismet there is the tutorial with the map
    • Interactive switches to open doors [control points for CTF matches]
    • Interactive Elements
    • Where is the Redeemer!!?
    • "Get toasted!" gameplay
    • "Gravity Control Room"
    • Immersive Environment; sounds, crash site, falling leaves, air strikes, etc.

Credits:
    • Epic Games
      Thx guys, you made such an incredible Editor to work with and his stability is stunning.

• Hourences, Waylong, DGUnreal, AVLD & everyone else concerned by:
      The ones making tutorials, documentation ? helping people in their threads when they are asking for helpful solutions when stuck.

• AnubanUT2
      He referred me to LordStrider and for his incredible implication around here

• LordStrider
      For the tip to make a Custom Weapon Pickup [Enforcer]

• The Epic Games Forums Community
      Thx guys to be there, supporting each others and keeping all this truly alive. Keep up making great stuff!

Updates
    • Rebuild bot pathing
    • Jump pads added and modified for a better gameplay dynamic
    • Added Respawns
    • Rebuild Sounds
    • Get Toasted Gameplay with the XXX publicity sign was difficult to perform correctly
    • The FPS required some work
    • I wasn't satisfied of the old Courtyard
    • The streets needed more style so I made cool modifications
    • I improved the visual of the map
    • I reduced the BLOOM effect
    • Corrected a few collision issues
    • Added moving doors
    • Modified the lighting of the map.
    • Preview Screenshot, number of players & Author added in the main menu

PC-Download:

Click DM-Str8Control: Here to Download!! - NEW JULY VERSION!
    CTF-Str8Control - Delayed

PS3-Download:
    Coming soon!

Comments:
    This is my first map with the Unreal Technologies and I must say it was a pleasure to work for a first time with the Unreal Technologies, I previously worked with Hammer, the Half-Life 2 Engine. What you will play comes from weeks of Editor Learning, plenty of try & errors, intuitive design and this became my personal test room for the UE3. The main focus of this map was to create a great balance between great interactive design & visual design and to create a DM map that would also fit as a TDM & CTF map for the fans. The images aren't showing too much of the whole map, there is plenty of other areas that aren't shown here with particular gameplays. ENJOY!

Install:
    Be sure to Overwrite the previous files please
    My documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Copyright / Permissions

This level is copyright 2008, by Christian Philippe Guay.

Authors may not use this level as a base to build additional levels without explicit permission from the original author.

Any bug fixes, fixes, changes, and tweaks may only be implemented by the author. No other person or party is allowed to release a modified version of this map without the author's permission. Please E-Mail me regarding any changes you require.

You MAY NOT charge any money for this map or any of its embedded content.

You may distribute this level through any electronic media (internet (web/ftp), FIDO, local BBS, Magazine cover disk etc.), provided you include this file.

All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

Originally posted by Hyrage View Post
    You may charge any money for this map or any of its embedded content.
    I assume you mean "you may not charge any money..."

d/l'ing now.

Comment

Originally posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post
      I assume you mean "you may not charge any money..."

d/l'ing now.
      exactly, thx

Comment

You forgot to add a preview pic. The lighting is kind of bland. Everything seems to have the same level of light. Also, it's not properly optimized. At times, it was like looking at a slideshow. Because of this, I can't comment on the gameplay. Good for your first map though. It just need some more work. I hope you keep working on it.

Edit: One more thing. You said it's an abandoned city, but the skyscrapers above don't give that impression. It's night and the lights are on in the buildings.

Comment

I like the looks of this map and the custom teleporter is great.

However, I have to agree with R.T.S. that there are improvements to be made. I didn't think of the lighting as being bland, my impression was that it was uniformly foggy or smoky, but once RTS used the word, bland is appropriate.

I didn't have any slideshow problems; I didn't have 'stat fps' turned on so I don't have any numbers, but my framerates were fine (see my system specs in my sig).

OTOH, the bot pathing needs some work. One of the bots on my team found a place to park on some stairs and would not move from there. She wasn't camping, she was parked. I would shoot her and knock her down the stairs to try to encourage her to move on and all she did was resume her previous position. Ordering the bots to 'attack' did not faze her assumed position either.

The greatest evidence regarding the bot pathing however, is probably exemplified by two things: 1) "3 (2?) minutes remaining" was announced. Between the time of that announcement and the end of the map I saw exactly 1 enemy bot in spite of my searching and my fragging of that one bot was the only kill recorded during that last 2-3 minutes. This was after I had increased the number of bots to 9v9 rather early in the game. 2) As it turned out, the Red team won the match (I was on Blue) and when it showed the "winning bot" at the end of the map, there were 5 Red bots clustered on a very narrow stairwell - it looked like an (American) football huddle. I should have gotten a screenshot.

While I was playing and due to the fact that I was having trouble finding opponents to fight, I kept thinking "this map is too big and too complex...I shouldn't have this much trouble finding a fight in a 9v9 game." When I saw those 5 bots in the stairwell at the end, the dirth of opponents became clear. I still think the map is somewhat too complex, I was lost most of the time...but it was also my 1st time playing it.

As I said, I do like the look of the map. With some improvements in the lighting, it would be beautiful. It does need some work on the game play. As RTS said, I hope you keep working on it.

Comment

Originally posted by R.T.S. View Post
            You forgot to add a preview pic. The lighting is kind of bland. Everything seems to have the same level of light. Also, it's not properly optimized. At times, it was like looking at a slideshow. Because of this, I can't comment on the gameplay. Good for your first map though. It just need some more work. I hope you keep working on it.

Edit: One more thing. You said it's an abandoned city, but the skyscrapers above don't give that impression. It's night and the lights are on in the buildings.
            "You forgot to add a preview pic." - did you mean in the .rar file or in the first post?

Great catch, what I had in mind and that what I should specify is "it's an abandonned part of a city" and not the whole city. The whole city wouldn't make sense.

The map is made of Subtractive instead of Additive, what should play with your FPS. When I start the map I wanted to do something reeally different (mutliplayer & subtractive) instead of additive & singleplayer like what I experienced. I'll probably remake the map later in additive if I get more than 200 or 250 posts here, mostly because this map was more a practice than anything else, but it's fun to play.

The bot pathing isn't perfect, in the official map it's not even perfect. As you said the map is complex and the bots sometimes have troubles to spot their enemies & jump at a few spots. Other than that, they are awesome, seriously. I would like to give more time on this map, but I have plenty of other stuff to do at the moment, unfortunately.

Thx for the comments on the lighting guys, I'll take the time to improve my lighting skills in UE3 in the next weeks for my next projects, but actually if the lighting feel bland it should definately due to the fog element, something I noticed while making the map. But without the fog... the map doesn't feel the same way.

Modif: lol, I checked back the lighting and it definately look similar everywhere, the thing here is that I changed the lighting two days ago when I realized that my editor was running the map with "vivid", when I played with the default post-process option, I fall down of my chair LOLLL and I'm not totally satsified of the actual lighting. So I'll work on my lighting skills, thx

Comment

For the preview pic, I meant ingame. And I take back my comment about the the city not looking abandoned. I thought you meant the whole city, so sorry about that. Good luck on your next project.

Comment

Originally posted by R.T.S. View Post
                For the preview pic, I meant ingame. And I take back my comment about the the city not looking abandoned. I thought you meant the whole city, so sorry about that. Good luck on your next project.
                Nah it is definately my mistake. About the lighting I'm actually retouching it in my CTF map and I'm definatly realizing that I was far away from the tone of colors and dynamics I had in my old Delta version.

I was planning to release an upgraded version of the map during the summer if I get the 250 posts of feedbacks and comments on this Final Release. Nobody commented the two "hidden gameplays" of the map so I guess nobody found them yet lol.

Comment

looks nice and effect is different then oher maps

I will try out
                  thank you !

Comment

Wow man ... thanks for putting in your list of credits ... I wish I would have been able to do more to help you ... at least with the beta testing. I owe you one. I'll take a look at this map as soon as I get some time. These days I am pretty busy and console games (Hulk, Dark Sector, Bourne, GTA IV) and with helping out the CBP3 team so I can't say when but I really appreciate the gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
                      Wow man ... thanks for putting in your list of credits ... I wish I would have been able to do more to help you ... at least with the beta testing. I owe you one. I'll take a look at this map as soon as I get some time. These days I am pretty busy and console games (Hulk, Dark Sector, Bourne, GTA IV) and with helping out the CBP3 team so I can't say when but I really appreciate the gesture.
                      More than welcome,
                      This is actually a big problem around the forum, a lot of users expect great final maps, but do not really care or just do not take the time to give more feedbacks in the Beta thread or most of the post are about... "Hey dude your map looks great!", that doesn't tell a lot about how it plays or it just means that the average user just play cool looking maps instead of fun map to play.

I didn't really figure out yet, but I have my idea on this one .

Comment

I'm looking forward to trying out the CTF version on PS3. I'll edit with feedback when I've played

Comment

Hyrage, is there another way up to the uppermost level (w/the deemers) or is it only with the jump boots? I am still playing, so I am not ready to give any feedback, other than what I previously said in Beta thread.

Comment

Wow, I'm still finding new nooks and crannies in this. Great job adding new detail, and all those little twists and turns that make this thing so enjoyable. Nice touch with hiding the Redeemer as well!

The foggy atmosphere works with the whole motif, and you've also done a great job in choosing unique texture groups that help segregate each area.

There are only a few teeny downsides:

* The bots still get stuck in several places.

* I have a pretty low framerate during the whole experience, even when I'm not in "open" areas.

I think these two problems are related: if there's a non-closed shape somewhere, then occlusion won't work right, and the bots will incorrectly be able to "see" through it (which would explain some of their weird behavior...).

Good luck tracking down that last set of bugs; but otherwise this map is excellent, tons of fun and replay value. Good job man, looking forward to your future releases.

Comment

You have definitely optimized and polished this more, but I am sad to say that everything looks too faded now, even indoors. I dislike that, sorry. What's the point in spending hundreds of dollars on graphics hardware and having advanced game engines to look at dull maps?

Yes, I'm one of those users you speak of that likes cool looking maps.

Also, the bots are terrible now. I've been running around wondering where they were and I've been finding them one by one, standing around doing nothing, facing walls or windowed areas and jumping up and down, standing there stooped over at ammo pickups and stuff etc.

I much prefer the previous beta, and I'm going back to that. It's a great map except for a little lag in the courtyard area (which you fixed in the final)

Comment

Working...
                              X