No announcement yet.

VCTF-Megastructure_SE [PC & PS3]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, this actually IS one of the best vCTF maps I've seen yet, very awesome stuff.

But say, I have a question. You have not by any chance ever heard of or even read the manga 'Blame!' by Tsutomu Nihei?

(EDIT for those unfamiliar with Blame!: The map description is very similar to the basic backstory and setting of Blame!, with massive construction robots going out of control and creating the Megastructure. If intended to be a nod towards Blame!, I have to say I welcome it)

Comment

I downloaded the latests version, one thing lets this map down for me, ur use of PPV the post process to change the whole scene from a red to blue... realisticly.. its just wrong.. the maps great but that is just weird when you enter it and everything goes from red to blue/grey.. I would personally use one volume for the whole thing, and maybe a fog volume instead.. or neather.. ill keep it when thats fixed, but thats me

Comment

the best vCTF map untill now.

Comment

Originally posted by 0range View Post
          But say, I have a question. You have not by any chance ever heard of or even read the manga 'Blame!' by Tsutomu Nihei?
          Yep, I'm a big fan of Nihei. When flying around in the Raptor you might notice some Safeguard symbols above the bases.
          Originally posted by bazzwano View Post
          I downloaded the latests version, one thing lets this map down for me, ur use of PPV the post process to change the whole scene from a red to blue... realisticly.. its just wrong.. the maps great but that is just weird when you enter it and everything goes from red to blue/grey.. I would personally use one volume for the whole thing, and maybe a fog volume instead.. or neather..
          I spent a lot of time trying to get the volumes right, and the way it is now is just what looked best to me personally. The different architectural styles and lighting on either side of the walls just looked wrong when given the same post processing tint, especially considering that one side of the wall is completely artificially lit by giant floodlights and full of machinery, while the other is a stone cave lit by streams of moonlight coming through holes in the ceiling. I admit that the effect could be a lot more subtle, but complete realism is not something I aim for in UT maps.

Comment

A month after my download, and this map is STILL quite possibly one of the best VCTF maps someone could ever make. That just shows how awesome it is. Awesome job dude!!

Comment

Originally posted by ParanoiDave View Post
              A month after my download, and this map is STILL quite possibly one of the best VCTF maps someone could ever make. That just shows how awesome it is. Awesome job dude!!
              Same for me, since I bought my copy of UT3 in 2007, I've play a lot of VCTF maps and it is the only one that worth keeping IMHO. A marvelous job

Comment

Originally posted by bazzwano View Post
                I downloaded the latests version, one thing lets this map down for me, ur use of PPV the post process to change the whole scene from a red to blue... realisticly.. its just wrong.. the maps great but that is just weird when you enter it and everything goes from red to blue/grey.. I would personally use one volume for the whole thing, and maybe a fog volume instead.. or neather.. ill keep it when thats fixed, but thats me
                Not to complain about how it's implemented in this map, but that kind of thing really bothers me in a lot of maps. Different post processing to have areas lit differently really bothers me. It leads to an inverse HDR lighting thing sometimes, where you walk from an outdoor area to an indoor area and things get darker. That is to say, when outside *everything* is brighter, including what you can see of indoor areas. As soon as you step in, that area darkens. Going the other way, when you look from inside to outside the outside looks dark, and as soon as you step out it lightens. THIS IS WRONG.

When inside, the outdoors should look bright, and your eyes should adjust as you step outside so it darkens. From outside, indoors should look dark, and as your eyes adjust when you step inside it should lighten. I first noticed it in Shrift (by all accounts a good map). The winning map from the old school mapping contest does this FFS.

It also really bothers me to be in a red lit area, and as I cross some magical boundary and look back, that formerly red lit area is now blue. WTF? It showed up in that port of DM-Gothic from UT3. Gothic had some purple lit areas, and some that weren't purple and you could see them both. In the remake, everything is lit the same. You step into a purple area, and everything becomes lit purple. It just makes the lighting look really broken and I dislike it a lot.

Post processing in general is really burning my nuts. It gives us bright white skies (looking like something from Lost season 2 finale), washed out looking levels, etc etc. I so miss colored lighting from UT1 where colors came colored lights and there could actually be more than one color at a time in a level.

/rant

Seriously, that wasn't aimed at this map. I like it a lot. I just needed to get that off my chest.

Comment

how do you spectate bots in ut3?

Comment

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
                    Post processing in general is really burning my nuts. It gives us bright white skies (looking like something from Lost season 2 finale), washed out looking levels, etc etc. I so miss colored lighting from UT1 where colors came colored lights and there could actually be more than one color at a time in a level.
                    I aggree with your words, I think its a design that should be used for a whole map to decider the overall look or say special areas such as under water where the player actully passes through soom kind of wall.. rather then this sudden change stepping from a hall way inot a room.. there is no reason for everything in vission to suddenly look diferent. meh its been discused enought.. I think its a bad way to use the PPV but thats my only issue.. I find the rest of your map quite impressive..

Comment

Some like it and some don't, I guess. I know a lot of people loathe the current "trend" in current-gen games of having post processing tints and desaturated colours in general, but I've always found it can enhance the look and feel of an environment a great deal when done right. Adding a strong tint and then toning it down with desaturation helps lessen the overall colour differences between meshes, making them look much more like they belong together, and when it compliments the lighting it can make an environment far more atmospheric. Similar tint effects have been used in films for years (the green/blue tint for the fake/real world respectively in the Matrix is just as prominent as the PP changes in some maps, for example), and I'm guessing that's what the post processing feature is designed to mimic.

I'm far from an expert on how to do post processing right, though. It's incredibly hard to find the right numbers for highlights, midtones, etc and there's no easy way of comparing results. I just think it's a very valuable feature in games, and if it's applied well they invariably look better with it than without.

Comment

Great map. Friendly to carriers and snipers (and dark whores). And btt i love this spot on pipes on the left side of base (u need raptor help to get there) cuz its almost impossible to die when ur carring flag. Only raptor can get u

Comment

I think this is certainly the best of all the custom VCTF maps. Great concept, beautifuly exectuted. Dizzying heights and overawing architecture, just stunning.

Also, as soon as I got in a scavenger, I was in no doubt what the othe main influence for this level was:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCrcJQ-9-xk

Comment

This is one of my favourite maps, such an awesome setting. For once a map of this style/colours that I actually think is great! It's very fitting for the theme.

Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru View Post
                            It also really bothers me to be in a red lit area, and as I cross some magical boundary and look back, that formerly red lit area is now blue. WTF? It showed up in that port of DM-Gothic from UT3. Gothic had some purple lit areas, and some that weren't purple and you could see them both. In the remake, everything is lit the same. You step into a purple area, and everything becomes lit purple. It just makes the lighting look really broken and I dislike it a lot.
                            I totally agree with what your saying, but it's very tempting to use it in this fashion because you can get some great overall looks - but like you said, its wrong when you're looking into an area and it looks different only once you enter it.

(I made DM-Gothic btw , and that effect isn't in the 2008 version )

I have a different way now to simulate the bright/dark/colour lighting effect changes from different perspectives (basically, using materials and depth-based transparency etc..) so I can blend it in properly.

Comment

MegaStructure is very popular among PS3 players. Just play the map once & you'll understand why.

Comment

I rarely say this but: Excellent Map.

Comment

Working...
                                X