• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Maw [final][pics][video]

1. Name: DM-Maw

2. Version: Final, v1.2

3. Compatibility: UT3 v1.2, PC only at this time

4. Description: Liandri scientists have confirmed that the dead world of Hathos Moloch once teemed with life, giving rise to ocean mammals of tremendous stature compared to those on Earth. Now, millions of years later, all that remains of a marine paradise and a proud civilisation are rocks, ruins, and sun-dried blood.

5. Comments: Upon getting Unreal Tournament 3, I noticed that one of my favourite maps from the 2k series was absent, DM-Antalus. I was in need of a mapping project to help me learn the ins and outs of UE3, so I decided to make a map that, though not a clone, was something of a homage to Antalus. The final level is quite different to its forbear, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out; I hope you will be just as pleased.

The map is designed for 4-10 players, though it will support up to 16. It's a little large for less than 4, but it still works as a more tense setting for small matches.

I'm really eager to get this on a custom map server, so people can play it, if the community likes it. If you want to run it on your server feel free to download it and do so, and please inform me.

My content:

- The design beyond the barebones "like Antalus" brief
    - All static meshes except the smoke column, trees and skydome
    - The textures and materials for those meshes
    - The terrain (modelled by me, but using Epic's textures)

6. Screenshot:

(a video can also be seen at http://asura.stantoworld.co.uk)

[screenshot]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/1354/mawshotshl6.jpg[/screenshot]

7. Credits:

Special thanks go to everyone who helped me on the BeyondUnreal forums (be it actual help or just keeping me entertained whilst I waited for replies to questions ), my friends Stanto and Wroth, and everyone else who has played/will play the map - as well as Epic themselves for making UT3 in the first place!

8. Homepage:

http://asura.stantoworld.co.uk

9. Download:

http://files.filefront.com/DM+Maw+Fi.../fileinfo.html

i would D/L if it was a bit darker the yellow hurts my eyes. But thats just me, i cant use high-lighters cos my eyes hurt too much.

Comment

Well, I have no problem with the color yellow, so downloading!

I decided to make a map that, though not a clone, was something of a homage to Antalus. The final level is quite different to its forbear, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out; I hope you will be just as pleased.
      Judging from the pics (especially the last one) you did a very nice job; the place feels familiar yet distinctly alien with the different color scheme and somewhat foreboding atmosphere. Reminds me of Pitch Black for some reason...

Comment

OK all, sorry, but there was a mistake - I accidentally deleted the brush with my level image texture, so it wasn't showing up in the game menus. I've now fixed this and re-uploaded the level, and changed the link in the original post to reflect this. Can everyone who downloaded the level please download the new one? This will be the FINAL version.

Comment

Looks and an very clean and fun map. Downloading now!

shade.pt

Comment

Got to try it.

Comment

Nice map. Plays well. Looks good. No sniper rifle? This map is perfect for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper View Post
                Nice map. Plays well. Looks good. No sniper rifle? This map is perfect for that.
                I playtested it and found out that whilst having the rifle is indeed fun, it can severely imbalance the game. The level is quite open and it seemed no matter where I put it, the player carrying it would always get to a high spot and proceed to dominate the map. I put a fair few helmets around the place to see if I could balance the effect, but it wasn't enough. Eventually I swapped the sniper for the Shock Rifle, because that's also pinpoint accurate and hitscan, so you can still snipe with it, but it doesn't cause the same issues.

Comment

This is a great map. Finally, an outside terrain map!! Nice flow.
                  I don't go for the gold color so much. I would love to see this map in a grey color.

Comment

Sweet map! Nice job!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Originally posted by MasterB View Post
                      This is a great map. Finally, an outside terrain map!! Nice flow.
                      I don't go for the gold color so much. I would love to see this map in a grey color.
                      I had considered setting it in snow, but I went with the golden sundrenched look because nothing ships with UT3 that looks like that; plus I like arid desert maps in general. Obviously though it's going to divide people, but that's cool - as long as people play it!

Comment

Thank you Asura_Mapper

Refreshingly different and enjoyable.

Comment

Is this similar to the Halo level, The Maw?

Comment

Hey Asura Mapper, are there any plans to cook for PS3? Tons of us will play it! Well.... I will play it for sure, anyways. Looks really nice from the screenshots..

Comment

Originally posted by The Demon Slick View Post
                              Hey Asura Mapper, are there any plans to cook for PS3? Tons of us will play it! Well.... I will play it for sure, anyways. Looks really nice from the screenshots..
                              I would like to, but I honestly don't know how :S

Comment

Working...
                              X