• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UT3 in stereoscopic 3D (anaglyph)

Name : UT3 stereoscopic 3d anaglyph
    Duration: 05min 42sec
    Version: 1.0 final
    Compatibility:any platform supporting adobe flash (web browser version), any media player supporting H264 in .mkv file (download version)
    Description: a short demonstration of UT3 in stereoscopic 3D using the iZ3D driver in anaglyphe mode
    Comments: You'll need anaglyph glasses to view the 3D effect, i used colour anaglyph mode. IZ3D recommands the use of Red/Blue glasses but it also works perfectly with Red/Cyan glasses (the one i have)
    If you have trouble watching the download version, it's H264 in .mkv file, try using VLC, it's a very powerful multiplatform media player which can open this file natively.
    Screenshot:

Credits: Epic, all the people who made the mods i used in the video (maps : Sun Tower by Madgobbo, Garden of dreams by Dante; character : Motig/Sellig remake by Chazcatrix; Action-cam by Fall; UT3 tweaker by Brad G ), iZ3D for the free driver with anaglyph even if you don't own one of their 3d monitors (i'll buy one one day, i promise !), www.mtbs3d.com for promoting stereoscopic 3d and for the specific game profile, and finally myself (because i made the video)
    View and Download: http://www.vimeo.com/853214
    anyone can view the in-browser flash version
    you may need to login in order to download the h264 mkv file (much better quality / recommanded)

Ah sweet!!! now where do i find the glasses...
    Any way to make em yourself?

Comment

Amazing!
      Yeah, I would like to find these glasses lol.

Comment

UT3 trip. Nice

Comment

You should be able to find a few shops over the internet selling cheap anaglyph glasses, the kind of glasses you get from magazines for kids or sometimes cereal boxes.
          They sell for about 1 or 2 bucks each, but shops usually only sell them by packs of 5 or 10 minimum.

I've read somewhere on the internet that some guy made his own glasses by stacking a few layers of the coloured semi-transparent plastic sheets he got from sweets.
          I'm not sure about the quality but the guy said it was working, so feel free to experiment... (don't forget to brush your teeth too).

Anaglyph is the cheapest way to view stereoscopic 3d graphics, you loose some colours and sometimes gets harder to focus than others but UT3 in true 3D is really amazing... forget about what you currently see on your flat 2d screens : even in anaglyph sometimes the game really surprises you.

when i have enough spare money to buy my next expansive gadget (chistmas probably), i'll definitely buy a 3D monitor.

Comment

Right on, awesome idea ... i just got pair of those glasses from recent IMAX visit. Will check it out 2night.

Cheers

Comment

i have some cinema quality glasses. now how do i get my game running like that? iz3d website only has stuff for true 3d. not red/blue stuff.

Comment

you need to download the iZ3D driver http://iz3d.com/

make sure you download the driver, the updated profiles AND the manual, because most of the configuration must be done in .ini files -> you WILL need the manual (but don't trust it blindly because there are some typo errors)

you need to do the following configuration changes (in the ini files) :
                config.ini
                - switch rendering mode to colour anaglyph
                - change the separation mode to one eye shift only (to get accurate aiming) (bad typo, left and right eye are inverted in my manual)

profiles.ini
                -allow fraps (if you want to record videos) not for screenshots, the iZ3Ddriver has a better screenshot quality : it records the dual full colour image when pressing the "print screen" button
                add this line in disable driver section (shots are recorded as .jps files, it's just a .jpg renamed so you can assign it to a specific 3d image software : prevents ghosting from appearing in the shots).
                <File Name="fraps.exe" /><!-- FRAPS-->
                -modify ut3 profile with the one from the mtbs3d.com review (err website under maintenance at the moment, i copy paste what i have, it's not perfect, it should evolve over time)
                <Profile Name="Unreal Tournament 3">
                <File Name="UT3.exe" />
                <File Name="UT3Demo.exe" />
                <Mono>
                <!--for menu-->
                <VertexShader CRC="0x9D6485CA"/>
                </Mono>
                <Stereo>
                <VertexShader CRC="0x1720F096" ZNear="2.0"/>
                </Stereo>
                </Profile>

and finally use UT3 tweaker to change the colour of the crossair to cyan so it only appears on your right eye (in fact since it's not transparent to red colour, you may still see a dark ghost on bright maps, but it's much less visible than the bright cyan crossair so your eyes should easily ignore it to focus on the bright cyan one.

You will notice that UT3 takes a lot of time to load when the iZ3D driver is enabled, don't worry, just wait about 2 minutes and the game will launch.
                once in the game you can use these keyboard shortcuts to change 3d settings
                shift + kp+/kp- increase/decrease convergence (convergence is the distance of your screen, since your eyes are very close to your monitor, try to make sure no 3d objects ever pops out of your screen otherwide you'll get headaches guarantee : the pop-out effect only works if you have : 1) a screen larger than your field of view and screen very far away from your eyes = imax screen, 2) highly controlled depth of objects = cinema)
                kp+/kp- increase/decrease strength of effect, start low, don't be scared of low percentages like 10 or 15% to begin with, you'll increase the strength later...

Comment

I'd laugh if there was ever a mod to where the game is in 3D one day.

I have plenty of glasses, I used to work for Disney as a Coordinator, and I have alot of those glasses you talked about stashed in my room. Im gonna watch this tonight while im...*Cough* having fun

Comment

thnks for that detailed info. i did get COD4 working on it without coming back here for answer and was about to reinstall ut3 cuz i thought the loading time was because patch 1.2 wasn't working with the 3d driver. i play it on a movie screen about 8 feet away. so should i increase convergence or decrease?

Comment

omg this is really awesome, just looked the promoting video with 3d-classes

Comment

Originally posted by onefingerkill View Post
                        i play it on a movie screen about 8 feet away. so should i increase convergence or decrease?
                        increasing convergence simulates the screen farther away from you
                        decreasing convergence simulates the screen closer to you
                        I've never tested a big far screen so you should try increasing a bit to match the real position of your screen.

But be careful if you increase too much your eyes will loose focus when objects pop out close to the edge of the screen and you'll get headaches so... if this phenomenon happens, decrease the convergence to make sure no object ever pops out of the screen : everything will be rendered behind your screen but that's ok.
                        You shouldn't expect to see the "objects-poping-out-and-almost-touching-your-nose" effect... this only happens in very tightly controlled shots... only achievable in cinemas.

the default convergence is -0.5 it works usually well with computer monitors (which are about 1~2 feet away maximum)

Comment

lol playing on a movie screen is already a dizzy experience. im used to it- ive already gone ahead and set the separation to 40%. i still dont know where i want the convergence tho, is there some kind of benchmark i should follow? also, what settings did you use for your screenshots and movie? stereo mode 2 or 6? right now im using 6 but dont wanna change around just cuz of the loading time ill have to deal with...

Comment

i'm using mode 2 (colour anaglyph) because i have Red/Cyan glasses
                            mode 6 (optimised colour anaglyph) only works with Red/Blue glasses (at least in iZ3D 's implementation, there are optimised colour anaglyph setups for Red/Cyan glasses but iZ3D didn't implement them).

For the video (the screenshot comes from the video), i don't remember exactly my settings, i think it was a convergence of -0.65 with a separation of 20% (not sure)

There is no particular "benchmark", you should use the parameters you like. keep trying different parameters... test with high convergence, then low convergence, then average convergence and see what's easier to play with over long periods of time without fatigue, what's getting you the best depth effect, seek the best compromise between the two.
                            Just remember that usually people (including myself) increase the separation a lot once they get used to it and sometimes it gets just insanely unrealistic... but the depth effect is so fun that you just don't care and keep increasing the separation

The only thing that is important is when you want to show screenshots/videos to other peole, make sure you have easy settings because :
                            1) other people usually watch these images on their computer monitors (so try to avoid the pop-up effect which doesn't work on computer monitors)
                            2) other people may not be as trained to view stereoscopy as you are, so keep low separation values.

Comment

now i want 3d glasses

Comment

Working...
                              X