Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCTF-Harbour [Final][PC][Screenshots]

VCTF-Harbour

[screenshot]http://www.haslo.ch/vctf-harbour/VCTF-Harbour_2.jpg[/screenshot]

Download VCTF-Harbour here!

It is done, my first map is complete. Thanks a lot to everybody who helped getting this project along, I couldn't have done this without the aid of both the Epic tutorials and, even more so in the end, the community. I hope you enjoy the map.

There's multiple paths to and from the flags - essentially, there's about 6 ways up and 3-4 major ways down of the ships, not counting the countless suicidal options for the latter. The open ground in the middle of both sides, covered by rocket turrets, is dangerous ground to carry a flag through, but there's a couple of sneaky paths along the sides of the map that make it perfectly possible to capture with some map knowledge.

There's plenty of powerups and specials on the map: A slow field, two EMP mines, a Redeemer, Keg'o'Health, and a UDamage, and two pairs of Jump Boots. There's also a lot of health lying around, and both Chest and Head Armors and a Shield Belt. However, that's necessary too, because the high ground of the ships and the great sniper positions make them great bulwarks and tough to get in and out in one piece. The map also has plenty of jump pads, and some paths not accessible by vehicles or even vehicle fire, making it less vehicle-dominated than others.

Both sides also have two AVRiL spawn points, and there's AVRiL ammo in two positions per side as well. Regular weapons, there's every single one except the Bio Rifle. Sniper Rifles are in sniper positions, Shock Rifle and Rocket Launcher are a bit harder to obtain than the Stinger, Link Gun and Flak Cannon - the latter are dispersed in weapon lockers throughout both bases, and there are some of those near every spawn position. Available vehicles finally are a Scorpion and a Hellbender near the start positions, and a Goliath near the map center. I guess the two rocket turrets count as vehicles as well.

As for trick jumping, that certainly does help getting from one point to the next ... the Jump Boots of course help with that, since they provide ways up to the walkways and fast ways off the ships, but there's some spots where wall dodging is beneficial too. Lift Jumps help with both obtaining one Rocket Launcher that's not accessible otherwise, and with navigating the center building. And not to forget that there's a big hoverboard air into the ships from the walkways.

Screenies

Have a look at the enclosed readme.txt for a version history ... changes I made since Beta 6 are mostly that I reviewed bot paths once yet again, taught the bots to swim, and then I tweaked the gameplay a bit too with more cover everyhwere. Add some bugfixes with blocking volumes and a few detail meshes here and there, and voilĂ .

No PS3 cook yet

I have to apologize to all PS3 owners, right now there's no PS3 cook yet. The main issue here is that the PS3 doesn't support importing custom sounds, and thus I'll have to give it a go first and then have some people have a look at it, but this means that I essentially have to rework sound, and have to find workarounds for not having proper sounds for birds and ocean waves in the stock packages.

Since this is the final release, I'll eventually kick myself in the butt and do that of course. There's still some hope nevertheless that Epic strikes a deal with Sony and it's somehow possible to import custom sounds in the future, since I really feel the map loses a lot of quality without those custom sounds.

Just so you know I dont think the ps3 doesnt have custom sound bc of Sony. I think its just bc they need to fix it. Just like custom models are buggy and dont import fully. Its just a bug (I think) and hopefully epic fixes this.

Comment

Originally posted by NyghtcrawleR View Post
      Just so you know I dont think the ps3 doesnt have custom sound bc of Sony. I think its just bc they need to fix it. Just like custom models are buggy and dont import fully. Its just a bug (I think) and hopefully epic fixes this.
      Sorry, but unfortunately, you're wrong (also see an official post a bit down this page) - ATRAC3 is a copyrighted codec only Sony products may use, and Epic isn't allowed (edit: or willing? no clue...) to release a converter for it for public use...

A pity really, and I disagree with this being only a small limitation

Comment

This map looks amazing, downloading...

Comment

Originally posted by haslo View Post
          Sorry, but unfortunately, you're wrong (also see an official post a bit down this page) - ATRAC3 is a copyrighted codec only Sony products may use, and Epic isn't allowed (edit: or willing? no clue...) to release a converter for it for public use...

A pity really, and I disagree with this being only a small limitation
          Well then it is a shame, but thats why I said "I think"....I wasnt sure.

Comment

Aye, didn't mean to attack or offend you, I hope you didn't get that impression

I guess in a week tops I'll have the PS3 version ready too, it's mostly a matter of digging through the stock packages and finding sounds that remotely resemble the custom ones I'm using, and maybe removing some sound cues as well.

Comment

Sorry But its easy to make AT3 sound files,

I made a video showing how http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A6rKU4Y6l0

all you need is a free copy of Goldwav & the ATRAC3 codec witch you can also get a free copy of :P

Comment

Nice, thanks I can't watch the video now anymore (will do tomorrow), so I'll just ask bluntly - does the video explain how I can use those AT3 sound files in my maps as well? Can I just import them in the UnrealEd? I really have no clue how the PS3 cooking process works in the first place, so bear with me if I ask stupid questions

Comment

wow final is out !

been waiting for long time
                  thank you !

Comment

No the video shows how to make the SONY sound file
                    I'll pm you links you may need

Comment

This map is laden with textural detail, and plays a hell of a good game. It's good to have equilibrium with these two factors in any map. Well done.

Comment

Thanks a lot Yongmonrathen and BuffyTheSlayer, very nice feedback

And thanks ORGAN, I had a look at the movie and your PN meanwhile - I'm still uncertain as to how I can then use the .at3 file in my map, so I made a new thread about that and will see what I'll do once I get answers there

Comment

Great map

Comment

This map is brilliant. After playing and finding plenty of ways to get the flag, and then alternatives to those routes, this took the prize as my favorite vCTF map.

Comment

Aye, lets hope it makes its way to custom vctf map servers soon

Comment

Working...
                              X