Clear All

VCTF-Satellite - Version 2

Shot1
    Shot2
    Shot3

Idea inspired by John Wallin's art.
    Private art gallery 1 -> 12th shot.

Changes in Version 2:
    • Added bForceMipStreaming=True to all Mesh.
    • Changed screenshot texture group for UI TEXTUREGROUP.
    • Fixed manta super jump.
    • Removed Avril from front locker.
    • Removed all Avril ammo, placed one near the 50a.
    • Removed rocket ammo near 50a.
    • Removed some useless volume/path nodes.

Changes since beta:
    • Moved Avril from starter WL for top and frontal WL.
    • Lifted Gameplay area.
    • Added better collisions.
    • Added ambient sounds.
    • Removed Turrets. (for being mostly useless)
    • Shortened jumppads for the Raptor.
    • Fixed player being able to hide behind Manta platform.
    • Fixed player being able to play around the side structure.
    • Lowered zkill, you can now fall and use the Raptor under the structure.
    • Changed BSP texture.
    • Changed Crates.
    • Modified terrain.
    • Removed useless collisions to optimize the level.
    • Changed fog.
    • Changed PP scene effect a bit.
    • Changed PathNodes layout to fix Bot getting stuck on base ramp.
    • Changed bottom "poll" texture.
    • Added other final details.
    • Changed music.

Download - FileFront - Version 2
    My website

C:\Documents and Settings\*User*\My docs\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps
    NOTE: If the directory doesn't exist, you'll have to create it manually.

Well well a Kantham map is now final. ... Guess I will still be playing UT3 afterall. Thanks for the nice map ... the changes look good.

Comment

Haven't try this version out yet, but the beta was frankly the best CTF map available for UT3. Everyone needs to DL this, and some servers need to put this up!

Comment

Ouch; some problems with this version. Glad the different names kept it from getting rid of the original.

Collision on the side of the map isn't fixed well... attempting to jump off into it gets you stuck such that you have no choice but to suicide. Worse than just leaving it open. Also, with vehicles, you can use it to get insane air and basically fly from them to enemy base in a manta. As, I said in beta, there was no problem with leaving it open, as you could really do nothing there... the collision just needed some fixing. Now the map feels artificially constrained.

The little area under the base with the crouching problem looked better than what you have now. Gave the bases a more distinctive, realistic look. Franly, it looks rather poor now, in comparison. Also, you can now get your weapon to disappear by pressing up against it. Also, collision in the front where the boots are is a little too far away from the actual objects.

New outside scenery does look much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post

Collision on the side of the map isn't fixed well... attempting to jump off into it gets you stuck such that you have no choice but to suicide.
          Then don't jump there? Right? :|
          I added a vehicle booster that face the gameplay area to push the player who tries to use the hoverboard there, since you could climb. Have you really tried to get a big air jump from there using a Manta? Because you're not supposed to be able to do such a thing.

I couldn't add a collision volume there that would just entirely block the access, Raptors would have get stuck in there and people would have complained about it. So what should I do?

Comment

Avrils are too available...

Comment

I like the texture work you did on the ground.

~Death Dream~

Comment

Originally posted by Kantham View Post
                Then don't jump there? Right? :|
                I added a vehicle booster that face the gameplay area to push the player who tries to use the hoverboard there, since you could climb. Have you really tried to get a big air jump from there using a Manta? Because you're not supposed to be able to do such a thing.

I couldn't add a collision volume there that would just entirely block the access, Raptors would have get stuck in there and people would have complained about it. So what should I do?
                Personally, there's no reason to have it blocked off; there's no reason to go there, but also no reason not to be able to. I suggest that you open it back up and just fix the collisions for it. When you jump in-- not on a vehicle-- you get stuck without any means of getting out. Would be very frustrating to someone who doesn't know how to suicide... and map-breaking on the ps3-side if you ever decide to release it for them (which you should, this map is godly and would get flawless performance).

Honestly, I'm just so passionate about this map being 100% perfect because it's so close as is. =) I'd love to set up a server and play this online.

Avrils are fine, and there was no problem with how they were in the beta. It kept mantas from being able to camp base... they were still effective for fighting people towards the center, or for making a quick entry to the base and getting out to get flag. People are just getting used to being 100% safe in vehicles because of how most (awful stock) Ut3 maps are set up... avrils in lockers just make you use more skill, and make it impossible to camp near enemy base. Particularly with this map, since there's so much cover to sneak behind, and raptors can go along the sides. If anything, having it in all lockers was better... having to run over to the other locker to get avril just forces you to spend more time running around, and less time fighting.

Edit: This is particularly obvious with the bots now. You can run around with a manta getting monster kills non-stop while your bots escape with the flag. =( Completely destroys this map in bot match.

I also had really loved the turrets. The suspender-path you had set up for them was awesome to see in action, and a really cool demonstration of your insane mapping skill. While they weren't particularly useful for getting in and attacking, you COULD use them to kill a retreating flag-carrier.

Also, if anything, placing the avril up there is a bad idea-- it encourages people to go up there, get the avril, and camp, raining avril-shots down at vehicles that can't possibly defend themselves =/

The cubes stood out and looked a lot cooler when they were white. I'm pretty sure I liked the overall texture more as well =/ This, while more detailed, gives away the tiling much more.

Being able to fly the raptor under/through the structure is pretty awesome, and makes it much more useful. But the restrictions are still much too tight around the structure-- its a floating platform in the air, you should have some freedom to fly around it from a bit of a distance =/

On the plus side, the new textures, apart from the cubes, ARE nice, although I'm still adjusting as I was quite happy with what was in beta... the ambient noise is great, and removing the city was a great idea and the terrain near the bottom looks heavenly. This map is nearly of truly professional quality, apart from the problems I listed above.

To be frank, though, I'm going to continue to play the beta =/

Edit: Still some crazy blocking underneath structure that will kill your raptor pretty quick and frustratingly if you stray into them. =( Please come out with a 1.1 for this amazing map. Avrils need to be back in all lockers if only to make botmatches feasible again. Collisions are still a HUGE issue throughout the map. With raptors, the side structures and most obvious when the splash damage from a rocket kills you when it shouldn't alongside the jumpboots. Those are the two pretty much "must-have" fixes. I'd still say to include the turret. a) it was cool b) the jumpads kept people from camping on those side structures with avril or shock. Also, returning the little area under the base to the way it was in beta would provide a big aesthetic boost, at least for me =/ Also wouldn't complain if you returned some of the earlier textures.

Comment

wow you made nice map again !

downloading thank you !

Comment

The cubes stood out and looked a lot cooler when they were white. I'm pretty sure I liked the overall texture more as well =/ This, while more detailed, gives away the tiling much more.

Being able to fly the raptor under/through the structure is pretty awesome, and makes it much more useful. But the restrictions are still much too tight around the structure-- its a floating platform in the air, you should have some freedom to fly around it from a bit of a distance =/
                    I came back to this thread to say the same (ahem, and to say good work ;p, no seriously, this is a very good map ^^). I found it very annoying that flying the Raptor was so restricted in this "air" map(!).

Im not sure what cubes he want's brigther, but I really love the overall design, the background and map itself don't contrast each other (in a bad way, that is), don't think you should change anything, though I don't really know what he means when he talks about "cubes" ^^.
                    But seriously, you should give the player much more "air"/space to fly in, as if it was an air map, if not for making it feel more complete and unique, then at least for adding improvements to the map gameplay! ^^

Comment

I still like this level and I don't get all the complaints about the new version but I respect that people are having some issues with it. But man this is still a great fun FREE map what Kantham made in his spare time as a hobby ... why can't people see that and just take the level for what it is? But yeah I also can understand why if this a fav of yours you would want it to be perfect since I have also done the same thing when it comes to fav DM maps ... maybe the best thing here is to do like the H-bomb is doing and just play the beta if you don't like the final. IMO the Beta was extremely solid anyway and really didn't need many changes to it in the first place. But of course it is the vision of the level designer and so I respect that.

Comment

Of course a lot of what I mentioned is all opinion based, and the mapper should absolutely get the final say. But the collision issues are a reality, and being able to take a manta into enemy base and camp for countless monster kills completely unbalances the map =(

I was hoping to rent a server and get this map some of the online play it deserves when patch 2 came out officially, but with these issues it really isn't worth my money. I appreciate Kantham's hard work, as the beta is still my favorite ctf map, I'm just extremely disappointed that the final fixed some things that weren't broken.

Comment

Of course a lot of what I mentioned is all opinion based, and the mapper should absolutely get the final say. But the collision issues are a reality, and being able to take a manta into enemy base and camp for countless monster kills completely unbalances the map =(

I was hoping to rent a server and get this map some of the online play it deserves when patch 2 came out officially, but with these issues it really isn't worth my money. I appreciate Kantham's hard work, as the beta is still my favorite ctf map, I'm just extremely disappointed that the final fixed some things that weren't broken.
                          Tsh, you just grab a Manta/Raptor/Avril to counter a Manta. But as I said I totally agree with the flying issue, you should be able to get farther away from the level if you wanted to with a Raptor. ^^

Comment

I understand man ... you know me ... sometimes I get a bit carried away in my defense of fellow modders. I can see some of your points are valid. And I do know that you are one of the people who really does appreciate the time and effort level designers spend on their maps.

Comment

Wow I feel sorry for the manta super jump, I just noticed. I will upload a new version that fix the issue today, and try to remove a bunch of avrils while keeping them.

Comment

Working...
                              X