No announcement yet.

VCTF-Satellite - Version 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kantham, if you realize more then 1 version of a map please use DIFFERENT names. We had a lot of problems with mismatches with AltasCity (maybe a beta version I dunno). If you decide to change something put a ][ or 2 or whatever behind the file names.

I love your work.

Comment

Thanks, not a problem. You can download V2 now, here.
      See OP for more details.

Comment

Still suffers from the majority of the problems I mentioned above.

To re-iterate:

-Poor blocking volumes in front of bases along sides (this is actually noticeable during average gameplay, not just playtesting)
        -Lack of avrils makes bot match completely unfeasible as bots aren't smart enough to go up and camp with the avril.... so now you can get godlikes in mantas even on higher difficulties by spawn camping. It takes quite a while for enforcers to take down mantas...
        -Moreover, as stated above: now you have to go and get an avril and camp up there... or jump down and lose some health.... online, it means that everyone will have to waste time getting on the jumpad and going up to get an avril... and jumping back down and losing some health. Not my idea of fun.
        -Solution, as I stated on BU, would be to place an avril spawn alongside each base. It'd only have a little bit of ammo, so vehicles would be a bit more powerful, but bots would still function properly, and it wouldn't have the gameplay handicap of having to take a detour everytime you spawn. The single ammo spawn would mean people wouldn't have to kill themselves to reload... but between a whole team, it wouldn't provide nearly as much ammo as the lockers did.
        -Kill volumes around base still suck if you try and fly a raptor, and closing off the sides is still needlessly restrictive.

Good to see that you're still working on this map, though. It's a work of art and deserves the attention to details.

Comment

^^^ Are you ever going to be satisfied with this level? Maybe Kantham should give you permission to make a Harmatia version of this map.

Personally I like V1 and if that has been improved even more so than I am really happy ... people do this as a hobby in their spare time so I am never to picky myself (well almost never) ... but cool ... if the map gets better great ... but for me it is an excellent VCTF map as is. Good luck trying to please everyone Kantham ... seems like the majority of folks like this map and aren't finding to much fault with it.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
            ^^^ Are you ever going to be satisfied with this level? Maybe Kantham should give you permission to make a Harmatia version of this map.

Personally I like V1 and if that has been improved even more so than I am really happy ... people do this as a hobby in their spare time so I am never to picky myself (well almost never) ... but cool ... if the map gets better great ... but for me it is an excellent VCTF map as is. Good luck trying to please everyone Kantham ... seems like the majority of folks like this map and aren't finding to much fault with it.
            Even if something is my hobby I like for it to be done as well as possible and to ensure that my time is well spent-- it might be a bit presumptuous of me to expect the same of others. =)

And, as you said, the majority of folks aren't finding fault with it.... nor were they with the beta when things were done best =P

Comment

Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
              Even if something is my hobby I like for it to be done as well as possible and to ensure that my time is well spent-- it might be a bit presumptuous of me to expect the same of others. =)

And, as you said, the majority of folks aren't finding fault with it.... nor were they with the beta when things were done best =P

Honestly Anuban, chill. Harmatia is giving GOOD & SOLID constructive criticism - something which all good mappers want, and will respond to.

Comment

-Poor blocking volumes in front of bases along sides (this is actually noticeable during average gameplay, not just playtesting)
                -Lack of avrils makes bot match completely unfeasible as bots aren't smart enough to go up and camp with the avril.... so now you can get godlikes in mantas even on higher difficulties by spawn camping. It takes quite a while for enforcers to take down mantas...
                Are you serious?

EDIT: How many times have you posted about the collision being terrible? Please post some pictures otherwise it's really unclear.
                You know I can't do anything for the Bots, I already told you hundred of times, try to play the map online if you think the Avril lack is suffering. Either way, one or another will complain about the Avril so I can't do anything to please everyone. I'll go with the majority.

Comment

Originally posted by Kantham View Post
                  Are you serious?

EDIT: How many times have you posted about the collision being terrible? Please post some pictures otherwise it's really unclear.
                  You know I can't do anything for the Bots, I already told you hundred of times, try to play the map online if you think the Avril lack is suffering. Either way, one or another will complain about the Avril so I can't do anything to please everyone. I'll go with the majority.
                  Sorry man. You didn't respond so I assumed you either knew what I was talking about or simply didn't care. I'll get you a screenshot as soon as I have a chance.

And playing a custom map online-- or anything online, with this game-- can always be a bit of a problem. Plenty of people play off-line exclusively as well.

As I said, placing avrils separate from lockers would mean that people wouldn't have basically unlimited ammo as with lockers, which I think was what bothered those who complained. And placing one on either side would ensure that the idiot bots could get a hold of them, but not mess things up for online. Placing it at the top-section of the base is just a needless detour for human players, and an impossible-to-grasp concept for the bots =P

If you're happy with how it is, then that's absolutely how it should stay, and I apologize if I have been overzealous with my feedback. I don't think art should be created by committee-- but it seems more like you bent to the opinion of others moreso than making these changes based on your own feelings.

Comment

Sorry man. You didn't respond so I assumed you either knew what I was talking about or simply didn't care. I'll get you a screenshot as soon as I have a chance.
                    I always care/read about all the feedback I get. I'm also preferring screenshots.

... And placing one on either side would ensure that the idiot bots could get a hold of them, but not mess things up for online. Placing it at the top-section of the base is just a needless detour for human players, and an impossible-to-grasp concept for the bots =P
                    Ok, that's possible, however, the top structure is ideal to take them down, and the spawn points are really close to the jumppads, so manta spawn rape shouldn't be much the case. I'd like the bots to think "Must use jumppads to grab Avril and use against Manta" too.

If you're happy with how it is, then that's absolutely how it should stay...
                    I don't want everyone to like it because I do. There's always things to ameliorate.

and I apologize if I have been overzealous with my feedback. I don't think art should be created by committee-- but it seems more like you bent to the opinion of others moreso than making these changes based on your own feelings.
                    Alright.

Comment

well i think its a fantastic map good job with it, and its great with the sentinel mutator too

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2
                        Dude mind your own business please ... me and Harmatia are cool and Harmatia knows I was just joking and was not serious. Why do people always feel like they should get involved in discussions between people when it doesn't involve them ... I will never understand that.
                        What, you mean just like your 'I honestly dont know why", and "i am never to picky" comments in response to Harmatia's post that had nothing to do with you Community forums, and a map for the community to download my friend. And being part of the community, I too would like to see this stonking map glitch free, thats all. So let constructive criticism flow forth without digs. Criticism does not mean the hard work undertaken by these fabulous map authors goes unrecognised!

And to the author, sterling job indeed! It would be good to see this one on the servers now that patch 1.2 is out!

Comment

^^ All I know is I wasn't serious and I wasn't talking to you.

Comment

Fantastic map; it looks professional and I had a lot of fun with it. I agree with Harmatia on a lot of points, but I think it's more than fine as it is to call it finished. I think the Avril is pretty much fine where it is too (I can get down without taking fall damage pretty easily, and putting it out of the way like that is a good way to stop it dominating a map) but maybe a teleporter to get the bots back down safely might be a good idea. I don't think they go for a pickup if they detect that it's a one-way path.

For future reference it's generally better to use the vehicle "StallZ" height in the world properties for keeping Raptors from flying too high, as it buffets them down gently instead of letting them slam into an invisible ceiling. The same goes for using forced dir volumes instead of blocking at the sides of the map. The KillZ zone, at least, is so low that I never flew into it accidentally, but if you wanted to make the map really polished you could cover it with a giant upward-facing vehicle boost pad actor so that Raptors are pushed away before they can touch the killing area.

Comment

I can't seem to spot the "StallZ" line from the side viewports. Though, I can spot the "KillZ" one easily.

Comment

Yeah, it doesn't show in this version of the editor for some reason. What I did was move the mouse to the area it needed to be and checked the height displayed on the status bar, then tweaked it from there with some testing.

Comment

Working...
                                X