Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Color Control - Restore up to 30% color to the game

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Color Control - Restore up to 30% color to the game

    A simple mutator that restores some color to the game.

    Before


    After


    This mutator works by removing the Scene_Desaturation value in postprocessing volumes. This value is usually set at around 0.2 or 0.3, effectively draining up to 30% of the game's color, and it didn't have a whole lot to begin with...

    Version
    • 1.
    • No changes since beta.

    Compatibility
    • Tested offline. Let me know if it works online.

    Credits
    • Me.

    Download

    Installation instructions provided in the Readme in the download. Basically, place the UTGame folder in your My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3 folder.Feedback appreciated!

    #2
    Nice, I will have to try this out when I get a better computer so I can really see a difference.

    ~Death Dream~

    Comment


      #3
      Looks like the same mutator that was posted on here about a month ago. FAIL.

      Comment


        #4
        It is. Maybe the old one was a Beta >_>

        Comment


          #5
          I don't remember even seeing one posted a month ago.

          ~Death Dream~

          Comment


            #6
            Can't you make it in the .ini files so we won't need the server to run the mutator?
            I like the colors bur unfortunately the servers don't use it...

            Comment


              #7
              What was Epic thinking by draining the color of their creations? Dull and dreary color doesn't make me want to play a game. The colorful advertisements for UT3 made me think the game was colorful. Complete LIE. This mutator really make UT3 look closer to the way I invisioned the original game. Good job. Next we need a way to implement it client side without a mustator. =)

              Comment


                #8
                Feedback

                Thank's for that mutator

                I post these in 800*600 to make a quick comparision.

                dm-defiance (original - with 30% color)



                dm-risingsun (original - with 30% color)



                The lightning and the color are much pleasant now !!!

                Suggestions :

                1 - It is possible to have a option to configure the color level with a slider available in the UI. 30% more color from the original settings is nice but maybe it could be nicer with a slider with 0 to 100% color or any tangible values ?
                2 - The readme don't mention the version of the mutator. At least, mention the version 1.0 and full release.
                3 - I would link this forum in the readme for futur reference.

                Thanks' again

                Comment


                  #9
                  yes, i too would like an option to tune the colors. 30% is a little too much saturation with my projector. 10 or 15% would make my day.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I'd like some way to curb the thermonuclear bloom myself. The pretty colors being un-bled out are a welcome change from the usual, but I'd like more.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by BoomSlang View Post
                      Looks like the same mutator that was posted on here about a month ago. FAIL.
                      Fail what? For moving my mutator out of beta?

                      Originally posted by GnabGib View Post
                      Can't you make it in the .ini files so we won't need the server to run the mutator?
                      No. Ask Epic for a menu option.

                      Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                      1 - It is possible to have a option to configure the color level with a slider available in the UI. 30% more color from the original settings is nice but maybe it could be nicer with a slider with 0 to 100% color or any tangible values ?
                      The game is this colorful by and of itself. However, Epic uses postprocessing to desaturate the color by 30%. The mutator simply sets the desaturation strength to 0%.

                      You can achieve the exact same effect using the following console command (which is how I got the comparison screenies to overlay perfectly):

                      set postprocessvolume settings (scene_desaturation=value)

                      value can be any number between 0 (no desaturation) and 1 (black and white). Most maps have it somewhere around 0.2.

                      Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                      2 - The readme don't mention the version of the mutator. At least, mention the version 1.0 and full release.
                      Will do if I ever release an update.

                      Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                      3 - I would link this forum in the readme for futur reference.
                      Will do if I ever release an update.

                      Originally posted by onefingerkill View Post
                      i too would like an option to tune the colors. 30% is a little too much saturation with my projector. 10 or 15% would make my day.
                      Use the console command above. You can probably make a keybind for it in UTInput.ini.

                      Originally posted by MadCat221 View Post
                      I'd like some way to curb the thermonuclear bloom myself.
                      There's a similar console command for that:

                      set postprocessvolume settings (bloom_scale=value,bloom_interpolationduration=value)

                      Default values seem to be 1 for both bloom_scale (the "strength" of the bloom effect) and bloom_interpolationduration ("duration over which to interpolate values to", according to Epic). Happy experimenting.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                        The game is this colorful by and of itself. However, Epic uses postprocessing to desaturate the color by 30%. The mutator simply sets the desaturation strength to 0%.
                        Thank for responding.

                        By the way, do you know why the mutators don't stay permanently ?

                        My problem is that EVERY time that I load UT3, all of the mutators I have activate at my last matches don't load/stay by default. Just before my first match, regardless of gametype, my mutators list is completely blank ? After I activate the mutators, when I play matches (dm, ctf, war, etc.), the mutators rest active until I exit the game ?

                        In UT 2003/4, ALL my prefered mutators that I activate once are active every time I load the game.

                        I don't know if it is on purpose or a bug but it bug's me ALOT ! I don't call that progress...

                        Any idea !?!

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I don't know why mutators aren't remembered. Apparently, Epic does not consider that feature a requirement for a game that is "done".

                          Either complain to Epic or use the Auto-Profile Login mutator, which allows you to launch the game from a batch file with any mutators you like preloaded. It's what I use to test my mutators.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Xyx View Post
                            There's a similar console command for that:

                            set postprocessvolume settings (bloom_scale=value,bloom_interpolationduration=value)

                            Default values seem to be 1 for both bloom_scale (the "strength" of the bloom effect) and bloom_interpolationduration ("duration over which to interpolate values to", according to Epic). Happy experimenting.
                            I was unable get any result from that command.

                            Do I have it bound correctly, or is it just an empty command?
                            Code:
                            Bindings=(Name="F12",Command=set postprocessvolume settings (bloom_scale=0.1,bloom_interpolationduration=0.1)
                            -----------------------------------------------------

                            Scratch that, spoke too soon. Wasn't able to get the bind to work but writing it down and typing it into the console worked. Here's hoping it sticks so I don't have to retype it every time...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              What exactly is the "Bloom interpolation duration"? I fiddled with it but saw no discernible difference from 1 to 0.5. The bloom scale certainly did, though; no more nuclear bloom!

                              As for ShadowDancer's problem... Does the whole command need quotes? I also see an unclosed parenthesis.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X