Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PS3 mutator question

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    PS3 mutator question

    i got into a server with the action cam mutator ...it downloaded the mutator and i wanted to cancel it but i didnt realize what was going on ...so im just wandering ..could downloading a mutator transfer a virus to my ps3? ...or am i just too paranoid? By the way ...i love the action cam mutator ..its so cool ...just worried about viruses getting on my console ...that would suck

    #2
    Originally posted by JakeTheSnake126 View Post
    i got into a server with the action cam mutator ...it downloaded the mutator and i wanted to cancel it but i didnt realize what was going on ...so im just wandering ..could downloading a mutator transfer a virus to my ps3? ...or am i just too paranoid? By the way ...i love the action cam mutator ..its so cool ...just worried about viruses getting on my console ...that would suck
    Mostly too paranoid, technically it might be possible, it would have to exploit a bug in UT3's and PS3's coding.

    I wouldn't worry about it unless you start hearing of something like this.

    It's more likely if such a bug was found, people would use it to softmod their PS3s rather than send out attacks.

    Comment


      #3
      thanks man ...its just with ut3 all this mod stuff is so cool ...but im very worried about getting a virus on my system ...because i don't have much computer knowledge haha ...also ...when i look at the server info ...its says dedicated and across from it ...it will say either true or false ....what does this mean?

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by JakeTheSnake126 View Post
        thanks man ...its just with ut3 all this mod stuff is so cool ...but im very worried about getting a virus on my system ...because i don't have much computer knowledge haha ...also ...when i look at the server info ...its says dedicated and across from it ...it will say either true or false ....what does this mean?
        Dedicated means the guy who set up the server isn't playing it in this game. So non-dedicated means the host is playing, which means he will have a ping advantage.

        I'd say right now the chances of getting a virus in UT3 for PS3 are incredibly low, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

        For example, there was a critical bug in UT99 that survived for several years after the last patches for the game came out, it was patched, but people hardly ever downloaded it (might have been all the way into 2002 or something, I forget).

        Comment


          #5
          thanks again ...your a big help ...so i guess i can stop worrying about wether i should import user created maps or not haha ...its seems like mods are one of the funnest things about ut3 ...also ...is there anything to look out for ...like ways i can protect myself from getting a virus on my console ? ...lol i guess im just being paranoid again, but your help is much appreciated

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by JakeTheSnake126 View Post
            thanks again ...your a big help ...so i guess i can stop worrying about wether i should import user created maps or not haha ...its seems like mods are one of the funnest things about ut3 ...also ...is there anything to look out for ...like ways i can protect myself from getting a virus on my console ? ...lol i guess im just being paranoid again, but your help is much appreciated
            Yea, you're being too paranoid. I don't think there's ever actually been a demonstrated malicious virus ever on any console. Basically if you hear some news about something like that though look it up, and maybe just learn more about computer tech over time.

            Comment


              #7
              alrighty ..thanks ...yeah and im sure sony and epic must have some kind of protection on stuff like that ...that would suck if ppl had to start getting anti virus programs on the consoles haha

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by JakeTheSnake126 View Post
                alrighty ..thanks ...yeah and im sure sony and epic must have some kind of protection on stuff like that ...that would suck if ppl had to start getting anti virus programs on the consoles haha
                Well, Epic's job is just to code things without bugs, but the PS3 has many layers of security. Both the 360 and PS3 are completely tight as far as security goes so far, meaning you can't even 'hack' the system with mod chips. However things can change.

                It's hot horribly desirable for a malicious hacker to hack a console yet. Right now I'd be much more worried about future cell phones you might buy, already some incidents of them being hacked has happened.

                Comment


                  #9
                  i see ...alright well thanks for your help ...its nice to know that my system is (for the most part) secure.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Lemmie put it to you this way, if it was a Virus, then the server that you downloaded that off of is also effecting their Console. So I dont think anyone would be putting their "Betting fun and games" notion in trying to **** up your system.

                    Hope that may have cleared some thoughts.

                    If anything, just download the mutators from this site, and only use those. You can read feedback from this community, get some good downloads, and still be able to have fun.

                    But if you really want to be safe, what you can do is just download mutators and maps from this site. Or any of the other sites other users here have created. If you download an unknown mod from a server, it could mean its in Beta, or maybe you just dont have the mutator. So if you want to be safe, just dont download what you dont know about. Either way, a mutator wont screw up your console, the person who makes it wont know if it messes up systems unless he does it on his 499 US American Dollars, and I dont think he wants to chunk that money out the window just to mess other people up, you know? And Busides, Im sure Sony and Epic, like other people said, have covered their coding pretty **** tight, so no need to worry.

                    Dont worry about downloading a virus on your PS3. If you need help reformatting your HD, either make a backup, or remove the contents of your HD and re-install the OS that came with your Console.

                    Happy Fragging.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      And if you think about it, why would someone go to the trouble of writing a virus for it in the first place, like Ikioi mentions?

                      I can't imagine a team of hackers spending weeks upon weeks to write a virus just so they could host a UT3 server and laugh at people who DL it.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Nagis View Post
                        Dont worry about downloading a virus on your PS3. If you need help reformatting your HD, either make a backup, or remove the contents of your HD and re-install the OS that came with your Console.

                        Happy Fragging.
                        Just a note on OSs, the PS3's OS is installed into firmware. Absolute worse case scenario, a hacker makes a mod that uploads to victims PS3s and bricks the BIOS, making the system dead. Not like that's even remotely likely to happen, but that's how people softmod stuff like PSP.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X