Just some tips for mappers who plan on cooking maps for the PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just some tips for mappers who plan on cooking maps for the PS3

Just a word of advice to those who are going to cook or want their content cooked for the PS3 ... mainly this advice is for the level designers.

Just like on the PC the PS3 maplist contains just the names of the levels to make it look professional and keep consistency I recommend that you all do the same. So you need not place the DM or CTF or War or VCTF extension in front of the friendly name. I believe it is the friendly name that shows up in the map list. So if your map is called DM-Destruction for example you would give it the friendly name Destruction ...

Also you don't want to have a super long friendly name or it ends up looking sloppy since it goes past the scroll bar on the map list. The friendly name should be 23 characters or less so that it fits within the window and looks nice and professional.

These are just tips so your maps can be as polished as possible since lots of people will see your work and I know you want to put your best foot forward. And as always if you need any assistance whatsoever let me know and I will be glad to help you out the best I can. I think you all know love me or hate me how passionate I am about the this great Unreal modding community and I want us all to succeed in what it is we love doing.

Maybe somehow your thread can be featured in a Tip website for modding (Buside this one of course)

One thing is for sure, Im saving this Thread for future reference. I already know how to make maps (Thanks to friends having the PC version), and I really diddnt know this information you posted.

Thanks, itll help me in the future!

Comment

Well I am glad this was able to be of service to someone. I really think that all mappers but especially newer ones should heed the advice I am giving so their maps will have a professional looking presentation at the very least. Uniformity is a big deal to me ... you know how sloppy a map list looks when people don't follow proper conventions.

Comment

A question: can I as a PS3 user change the map name myself?
        Because I have a few maps with really outrageously crappy names. Horrible.
        So is there any possibility to change the name? I don't have an UnrealEd at hand though. Is the map name a parameter in the userdata.jar file? Can I maybe change that parameter with an editor on an ordinary PC or with an earlier version of UnrealEd?

Comment

A generous member brought me onto the good idea to change the .jam file content with a hex editor! But it failed - the map's "friendly name" can be changed, but then the PS3 will freeze in the "unpacking" state upon importing the data.

The fields in the .jam file are obviously protected by some kind of checksum algorithm. That's what I suspect. Or I overwrote the next bits in the registers (even despite I went INSERTING mode and nothing else) and confused the console.
          Anybody from Epic can tell me what they did there? What algorithm they implemented there to create the checksum? Or if there's a checksum at all? What stuff happened there with the import fail? And how are .jam files handled by the PS3 actually?

Comment

Problem with changing the names on your own would make for incompatibilities online.

Comment

Working...
            X