Jetpack for UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Ok I downloaded the file without the DM-island map and the jetpack works on every map BUT yeah I know theres always something...the texture is gone....it shows it in a pink glow...I took a pic of it.

I dont know,the one with the map it works fine and the texture is all there but you cant use it on other maps.The one without the map texture is gone but it works on every map.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The issue with other players not getting the jetpack attached to them is an issue I can look into.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    So heres some things I noticed after normal install to my retail version per readme I have:

C:\Documents and Settings\ME\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\Jetpack folder is in here with the 2 files .u and .upk

C:\Documents and Settings\ME\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config is where the .ini is

Running a listen server so im a host/client in a VCTF game I can see the jetpack on the backs and the package works ok!

But if on the hoverboard I cannont see the jetpack on my back.

I can see that a new file was also created in C:\Documents and Settings\ME\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC called:

LocalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk

This file is also created in the clientside same area.

In the server.log and launch.log for the listen server I see several issues which could be related to the package and how the client processes it and/or how the cashe is processed.

The big thing in the .log i notice is this:

Log: Bringing World vCTF-Suspense.TheWorld up for play (30) at 2008.01.27-09.06.07
    ScriptLog: Mutators Jetpack.Jetpack_Mutator
    Log: Missing cached shader map for material jetpack2

So im not sure and I connected to this listen server as a client from my other machine and got the files but was the same results as the dedicated. I was able to use the pack but not see it only for a brief time after I was killed like a weapon pickup!

Dont know sorry!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Both package.u and mesh.upk get to the client and are in the cashe.

The jetpack mesh is visible client side and the package functions work correctly.

The issue is that the jetpack mesh is not visible on the back of my player or any other player or AI that is in the server.

The mesh does pop up briefly after I as a client get killed and is then displayed on the ground like a weaponpickup but then fades as weapon pickups do.

Not to be rude but I think its a coding issue but I would need to go in and decompile and then look at the .uc but I dont have time and I may be clueless as what to fix or change!

These issues are also common in older UT versions that is the package and corresponding tex or mesh or animation ect works fine in instant action or listen server but as soon as you run a dedicated started from ingame or from outside the game it becomes a completely different ball game!

I can recall countless numbers of times that mute builders have released packages for UT2004 and 3 and UT and Unreal 1 thinking this works but only to find out in a dedicated server its bug.

Anyway I look to see in my client side log and server.log for issues but I dont see anything.

Maybe after the patch and inclusion of the UCC.exe for compression ect things might change as far as how the client processes the push of files.

I new right away when the demo was released and the difference in file structure and the new home directory there would be issues.

Ill boot a retail dedicated server from ingame without -nohomedir just to see if that might make a diff!

Can the u and upk be compiled into 1 package.u like a mylevel as we did in older UT so there were not so many files?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Alright, recheck the first post. I added a no map PS3 version, though due to a recompile since the other release, it won't be compatible with with_map version (in case you find yourself playing online with others).

As an aside - what do people think of a feature where if you hit something (anything, from level geometry (including bumping and landing) to other players) at a sufficient speed your character "trips up" and goes into ragdoll mode (like feigning death and falling off the hoverboard)?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Problem is that when cooking the map, because it references the script package, which references the mesh package, all three get cooked together. I'm not sure what the effect of releasing just the script and mesh cooked together would have with people installing both the map+script mod and just the script mod separately.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Any chance of you creating two separate download links jetpack and DM-islands like you did for the PC version for the PS3 version.....to test and see if the jetpack will work that way on all maps.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ANick View Post
    I dont know what else I can do other than to say that I can use it client side but I cannot see it.
    This clearly means that the jetpack_mesh.upk file is not being pushed to clients or that UT3 isn't recognizing that it's been pushed to clients and to use the file in the cache. Both of those scenarios are completely out of my hands, being neither Epic nor the person running a dedicated server.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Harmatia View Post
    With a concept as great as a jet pack, it's disappointing that the models and textures can't be put together to fit with the Iron Guard, Ronin, Necris, Krall, and Liandri models-- and then team skins. I understand it's a lot of work, but it's a frigging jet pack! This is a worthy use of modder's time.

Moreover, it'd be great to have bots use it. And, not to sound critical, I'm also not fond of the way this jetpack controls. Acceleration feels weird-- too fast once you get going for it to really work in any kind of serious gameplay.

Fighting a raptor in the air is pretty awesome, though.
    The issue is that it would be a *lot* of work, so much so that the return isn't, in fact, worth it.

To make bots use the jetpack would require rewriting a lot of AI code, and would mandate replacing the AIController, not something a mutator should be doing. It's sad, but it'd end up being a gametype and then it wouldn't be compatible with other gametypes at all.

So, to conclude - the tradeoffs aren't worth the effort required to implement them.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Do the bots use the jet packs? I haven't seen them use them.
    I think overuse by bots would ruin the mutator, however.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The UTInput.ini for UT3 is quite different than older Unreal.ini

It harbors config for PC and XBox and PS3 ect so its kind of a cluster **** in there but im sure I can get that going some way is not that big of an issue.

Also the new patch will have joystick config in menu interface like it should so we will see there.

And the compression redirect will also be added next patch so servers can get thier files across compressed! So I know you understand that most servers are going to be pushing the custom content to clients and is vital that a mutator or mod works from the clients cashe.

I dont know what else I can do other than to say that I can use it client side but I cannot see it.

Im not going to install it client side because as a map and mute and mod builder I use my client to test my server push of my own custom content so I know it works correctly!

Ill help if I can but??

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by ANick View Post
    Dont know if you tested this on a dedicated server push to clients but I was able to get the files to the client and use the jetpack but it is not visible in the game but only for a brief time after getting killed I see it like a pickup!

I try every possible way to install so its visible client side even going so far as to place the .upk in every area where other .upk's are but cannot see it on the back of myself riding a board or on any other players or bots. Also AI does not use it!

Also I can jump just fine with my PS3 controller in the game using the L1 or left shoulder button but this will not activate the jetpack. Only if I use the space key. I tried to config my UTInput.ini to make it happen but could not.

I dont know I think you may have issues in dedicated servers so you may want to shed some light here!
    I've tested with a dedicated server without issues, but my client wasn't relying on getting the files pushed by the server, so this may be a redirect issue. As I do not run a public dedicated server, any testing you do would be greatly appreciated.

As to your activation problems - this has entirely to do with the profile you are using when you run your client. If you think you have Jump bound to a key other than spacebar, make sure you see that bind in your ini *after you start up UT3 and before you close it*. The default profile has only spacebar bound to Jump, and I'm thinking that you're finding yourself using the default profile when you don't intend to be.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well the older version worked fine it just had no texture graphics it was just black.

now the new version sounds great and looks great but the problem is its only work on the DM Islands map...any other map its just not there.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Well, I have noticed something about this mutator that is a problem for PS3. And this COULD be the problem. I notice whenever I try using this mutator for the first time, it just doesn't work. You just jump, with the jetback on your back, it doesn't do anything. Even if the round ends and you go to another map, it still doesn't work. It only works the second time I start a game with it. The it's fine, but for some reason it doesn't work the first game you start. This is the version on Herby's site, ut3mod.com, so I don't know if a new version has been put out recently, but I know it's not THIS version. So hopefully when he updates the old version with this one, it will work correctly.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Dont know if you tested this on a dedicated server push to clients but I was able to get the files to the client and use the jetpack but it is not visible in the game but only for a brief time after getting killed I see it like a pickup!

I try every possible way to install so its visible client side even going so far as to place the .upk in every area where other .upk's are but cannot see it on the back of myself riding a board or on any other players or bots. Also AI does not use it!

Also I can jump just fine with my PS3 controller in the game using the L1 or left shoulder button but this will not activate the jetpack. Only if I use the space key. I tried to config my UTInput.ini to make it happen but could not.

I have 9 years of experience with Unreal.ini config but was not able to get a bind working for this to the pad.

I dont know I think you may have issues in dedicated servers so you may want to shed some light here!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X