CTF-TwistedFACE-ULTRA PC & PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FlyRice View Post
    Great map! Awesome detail as well. Only minor nitpick from me is that everything in outer space rotates a bit too fast. And the stars rotating bothers me as well. But still one of the best maps released so far! Thanks for your guys hard work. I'll be sure to spread it around to get it running on more servers.
    The stars and planets are not rotating, the asteroid you are on is rotating.

I made sure that was in the official description, just to clarify that!

Comment

The one thing I enjoyed about Facing worlds back in UT99 was that it was also a pretty decent TDM map. Ever thought you would make this map a TDM one?

Comment

I was wrong about the PS3 "asking for more" on this map. I don't know if it was because of all the mutators I had on (action cam, gibalicious, reversectf, aand the color enhancing mod), but I had a pretty intense game going on, that started losing frames when alot of people were cluster****ing and body parts were flying everywhere. It stayed playable, but sometimes that camera went to random places. I'm going to try to recreate the same circumstances again with less mutators, particularly color and gibalicious, and see if I still have the problem. The first few times I played on this map it was silk, so mabey it was just all the muts.

Comment

It has been fun watching the evolution of this map and I congratulate the author(s) on their fine work. The doors are brilliant! They work without a glitch, add to the play and feeling of the whole and serve a practical purpose to improve fps. The outside of the towers preserve and improve on the originals fun of grabbing the flag then making your way down the side of the tower while the other team wonders where you have gone. The changes made to the center work much better for game play. Visually it is over the top (as best as I can tell on my old rig -- more about that later). Overall I'll go with a 9.

On the down side I miss the switch in the original of going from the wide open outside to the claustrophobic inside of the bases. The bases are just huge. Which brings me to my other criticism -- size. I feel like the overall size/scale is just too big. To get a feeling for this boot up '99 and load Face. Grab a sniper and go up top then zoom in and pick off some bots. Now do the same on the new Face and you'll get a feeling of what I'm talking about. Even if we accept the scale I think the distance between bases is just a bit too long.

Finally the problem with the lower end hardware. I'm seeing strange artifacting which I suspect is a result of my ATI x850 just not being able to display some effects correctly. I don't think that it is a problem with the map since no one else seems to be reporting them.

Again I congratulate the author(s) on an excellent addition to the UT library. I hope to see this online to experience it with real people.

Comment

i just had a 2 hour testing period with this map(PS3)(instant action).... it didn't seem to matter how many mutators (if any at all), and it still had lag, framerate issues.... i would think the little asteroids were the culprit... but its the doors at each base, before the flags... the door animation runs w/out a hitch... but everything (characters, shooting, Fps, etc) gets a little messy.... I love this map.... and i would love to add it to a dedicated server soon.... but i couldn't get passed the instant action w/out issues.... and i don't want people to be turned off by this awesome, amazing looking, genius map... because of a few minor issues.... great job so far.....

ps i hope there wasn't a re-released version or something for PS3...??

add: i tend to agree with DoctorB... yet not.... once i used the Uberboard mut... the map was actually almost too easy to get from base to base.... but i guess your looking for opinions not influence by mutators....

Comment

Thanks
              Workin on a VCTF map now....lets say, it's for fans of air combat. It has nothing to do with Face or any other maps I've seen. We'll update you when it's presentable.

Sad to see it's laggy, maybe less players would b more fitting. I have a good pc, not great, and it runs fine with AA and AF off and at 720p 1360x768. It does get laggy when you're in with a bunch of bots, lag is less noticable online since the AI doesn't get computed during combat, taking up processor threads.

I'm not going to touch this map or release another version, it's done. I did what I could to please even the pickiest of ppl, so enjoy I'll keep crankin out maps as long as my heart is still beating

Comment

I havn't gotten to play it online yet. Hopefully even MORE people start downloading the PS3 made content so the custom servers get more full. I'm sure you're right about the bot thing. Great map though man. I can't wait to see that VCTF map. Just the way you commented on it seems like you think it's gonna be pretty intense. And a hardcore air combat map or 2 would really break up the constant FPS or TPS foot action.

Comment

OIC... i was wondering why someone suggested i play with as many bots as possible on a user created maps to quality test it.... he failed to mention THATS why...lol... so cool... the issues i had were very minor... and though they got bad at times.... its probably because i had the max amount of bots.... i will add this to my dedicated server later.... for now, i'm finally going to go play it online!!!... thanks NeoGzus.... i'll try to stay current with your future projects...

Comment

I think the PS3 framerate problem is related to the doors and their realtime shadows (flickering lights).
                    I played an entire game and the framerate dip only happened in the flagroom and behind the flagroom. When in the middle of the map looking around the framerate is smooth enough.

I would recommend exporting a version without the realtime lights/shadows on the doors to test this. I'm not sure doors online are a good thing either; with the ping and all it can be confusing.

Otherwise, great remake, some stuff is better than the last FACECTF map (specially the 3 bridges). It should be great with 16 players.

Comment

Yeah I have been having Framerate problems myself. But other than that, it played pretty good.

Maybe there will be a better version in a future download. Ill be looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorB View Post
                        On the down side I miss the switch in the original of going from the wide open outside to the claustrophobic inside of the bases. The bases are just huge. Which brings me to my other criticism -- size. I feel like the overall size/scale is just too big. To get a feeling for this boot up '99 and load Face. Grab a sniper and go up top then zoom in and pick off some bots. Now do the same on the new Face and you'll get a feeling of what I'm talking about. Even if we accept the scale I think the distance between bases is just a bit too long.
                        We really were not trying to reproduce face, but an original that had "Face" Elements. We figured that Epic will give everyone an exact Face map, so why reproduce that again.

Originally posted by Aratacus View Post
                        i just had a 2 hour testing period with this map(PS3)(instant action).... it didn't seem to matter how many mutators (if any at all), and it still had lag, framerate issues.... i would think the little asteroids were the culprit... but its the doors at each base, before the flags... the door animation runs w/out a hitch... but everything (characters, shooting, Fps, etc) gets a little messy.... I love this map.... and i would love to add it to a dedicated server soon.... but i couldn't get passed the instant action w/out issues.... and i don't want people to be turned off by this awesome, amazing looking, genius map... because of a few minor issues.... great job so far.....

ps i hope there wasn't a re-released version or something for PS3...??

add: i tend to agree with DoctorB... yet not.... once i used the Uberboard mut... the map was actually almost too easy to get from base to base.... but i guess your looking for opinions not influence by mutators....
                        We noticed while testing the maps that most frame rate drops happen when looking across the entire map (seeing all those polygons at once.)

Someone also mentioned that opening doors they noticed a quick FPS drop, that is because your machine is calculating everything in the interior all at once. There is really no other way we can give you a better framerate. If we took off the doors, it would just be worse, the effects do little to drop frame-rate, and it is just a big map. Unfortunately, when Epic put the game on PS3 it seems that tehy didn't give any room for growth. Epic needs to fix up "cooking" so it also can optimize a bit, neither Neo nor I noticed any frame rate increases when the map becomes cooked.

I personally would not put the Uberboard in any of the maps, as I mentioned earlier with the Translocator in place, there is a whole realm of vertical elements that are added.

AS Neo mentioned, we are 100% done, nothing against you guys, but we cut everything we could before starting to lose things we felt needed to be kept. We worked the Polygon counts from 900k to 500k and optimized the hell out of it, making it as playable, but as aesthetic as possible. Since neither of us own Ps3's we are were unable to test it in that realm, but on PC's (using a variety of hardware) FPS test were decent.

Comment

The framerate issues are really only while playing it instant action. I went online and got on someones server and it ran very smooth. Great map I really enjoyed playing it.

Comment

yeah... someone explained that instant action actually takes more memory then online... well bots do... i was also using the uberboard as an example, that the map didn't need to be smaller, or need to be in VCTF mode like some other peeps were suggesting..because it ruined the whole experience.. i totally agree with you guys... this map is DONE!.... its really a great addition to my online server list..... and i thank you... any issues i had with the map, was due to Bots... which i now know is a great way to quality test the map....but online is less bias in the maps usefulness, and less issues occur online.... pretty much just the doors are little frammy online.. but i would never ask for these awesome doors to be taken out.. i liked it very much... and i would like to thank you all one more time... THANK YOU ALL!! GREAT MAp.... everyone else GET THIS MAP!!!

Comment

dude THX for good work

Comment

Originally posted by Metalpain View Post
                                dude THX for good work
                                Your welcome. I have come to conclusion that I don't know how Epic employees don't check the forums, because I am enthralled with what people think about our map. I am an artist by trade, so listening to criticism is part of my job.

Though we will not compromise our vision, we want to make sure that every map is a step up from the previous and you help us do that. As Neo said, we have already started a new map, something different than we have seen in VCTF maps.....

Comment

Working...
                                X