No announcement yet.

DM-Greenhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always thought TVs were better for gaming until I saw that Alienware wrap around gaming monitor at CES.....now that is gaming right there.

An I just had an epiphany typing this. Make an all crystal and that shiny material you used for the vehicle bays, map. Put lots of crystal stalagmites and what not, and name it "Fortress of Solitude". You know, that place Superman goes. That's perfect, no? That crystal has to be the coolest (texture?) I've ever seen. Can you put light color hues to the crystal? I am now officially obsessed with that (texture?).

Comment

I am now officially obsessed with that (texture?).
      Apparently they are called "materials" now. There are "textures" in the packages but the editor only seems to let me apply the materials, which seem just like the textures in UnrealEd 2. I'm not sure what to do with the textures. And sadly, I don't know how I'd change the colour of the crystal stuff, other than shining crazy coloured lights at it. Which is definitly an option XD
      That sounds like an awesome map, someone should definitely make it. I'll look into it when I have time, but don't hold your breath :P
      And speaking of the vehicle bay material in my map, that is actually the stuff normally found under Darkwalkers

Comment

Yea, materials is the word I was looking for. I've never even tried modding so the word couldn't come to mind. Anyway, I really like your style of maps, and I hope to see more from you. Your map has a unique feel, and that is some clever use of a Darkwalker material. The whole map is clever. I've been playing it all the time. Well done.

On another note. I have alot of map ideas that no one would want to take on, based on comic books and star wars. Just out of curiosity, if I buy a used laptop to try and start making maps, what are the minimum syatem requirements to run the editor smoothly? I don't have a whole lot of money to spend so I want to go as cheap as possible.

Comment

Absolutely no idea. What would make the editor run better is that you can run it smaller easy and turn off lighting effects while you are making the map (but turn them on every now and then to see how it looks) and you can tell it not to run in realtime... But I'd still imagine it needs fairly heavy specs, and testing your map might be a pain in the ***. The min requirements of UT3 are a 2 ghz single core processor, 512 mb ram and an Nvidia 6200+. I'd say you probably shouldn't bother with lower specs than that. You might try UT2k4 with UnrealEd 2 just to try some modding yourself and see how you get on. It's really cheap now. If you get really into it then it would be a safer bet to spend that much money. And hilariously, UT2k4 possibly has a bigger userbase than UT3 at the moment XD
          or maybe thats just a myth.

Comment

Great map. A few things though.

1. Way overlit on the bottom, especially the trees. Doesnt look right that bright.
            2. I think the floor slabs could be a little thicker. Especially the upper levels that just look floating. Something just seems off bc they look paper thin almost.
            3. The black rectangles from vehicles. PS3 yeah, idk why.
            4. The top level you can see all the seems in the blue peak. Looks bad that way.

Overall though, still a nice job.

Comment

just played it and im sorry but i just didnt like it and with the bugs in it it kinda ruined it for me

one of the bugs is that for some reason the vehicles all shot long black sticks>< instead of bullets and some of the bots i was playing against kept getting stuck in some wall areas.

Comment

I like how bright it is. Only qualm I have is that all the vehicles are locked in team deathmatch mode.

Comment

The brightness thing seems to be very controversial :P I really wanted it that way (and on Unreal Ed it casts wicked shadows...Which don't appear for some reason when run on UT3). Stylistic choice. If I'm going to have lighting, I like it to really stick out. I'm going to have an outdoor area for my next map I think, but I'm reluctant to use the skylight actor because it just blandly lights up everything and doesn't look like it's coming from anywhere in particular.

the vehicles all shot long black sticks
                  This does NOT happen on the PC version :S Sorry, I can't fix it. Thanks for trying my map anyway.

some of the bots i was playing against kept getting stuck in some wall areas.
                  If it wouldn't be too much trouble, if you could tell me roughly where it would be a big help. I don't plan on rereleasing, but I will try to find out the problem so I don't make the mistake again. No-one mentioned the pathing being off during beta and I haven't seen anything, except I'm not sure I've ever seen a bot go for the sniper rifle.

all the vehicles are locked in team deathmatch mode.
                  I know :S Handy fix for vehicle haters. I asked if anyone knew how to fix this during beta (BeyondUnreal forums) and I have noticed it on anothr map or two with vehicles in Deathmatch. But then, Heatray manages it. If anyone sees this and knows the answer, it would be useful for me for my next map.

Comment

Any chance of a working download link for this map please.

Comment

PC link yes. PS3 no. And you wouldn't be missing much, this was the first map I ever made, it's pretty bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X