Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

CTF-TwistedFACE *ctf-face-remixx* my first map!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-TwistedFACE *ctf-face-remixx* my first map!

Ready, with minor glitches(can't figure out why gibs fly all over the place all stretched out, zigging and zagging) I was in a hurry to give a xmas gift to you all, so here it is.
    DOWNLOAD NOW!
    *new link to BETA 2*
    http://files.filefront.com/CTF+Twist.../fileinfo.html

Woo HOOOOOOO!!!

Comment

Well, this is pretty good. The bridges I feel are WAY to long, something overall doesn't flow quite right to me... can't put my finger on it. I think it's the excruciatingly long flag runs... they kinda kill the flow in a way simply because it's just 1 of 3 bridges you're running across.

One stock map from a previous UT which had long flag runs done right was CTF-elecfields from UT2004. There were 2 isolated parts of a run, one when you grab the flag and one when you cap it. The isolated runs were broken up by an interesting middle, something your map doesn't have.

It's just one LOOOOOOOOONG flag run across 1 of the 3 plain ol' bridges while everyone on the opposing team translocates to you. It's kinda... meh. There needs to be something breaking up the monotony, the bridges need to be shortened, or each of the 3 paths need to be different.

I don't know about this. Your map is hard to rate for me. It's put together well, but again, the flow is off. I'm giving 3 stars. For your first map though, it's very impressive.

Comment

Great map! Always been long.

Comment

Holy ****! Nice christmas present!

Comment

OK, when I frag players weird things start happening. Is that supposed to happen?

Comment

Are the towers custom content? They look awesome!

Comment

Thanks for the good feedback there seven, I kinda felt like it was a long hike too. I came up with the idea of putting a shelter over the middle of the bridges, to counter the sniper whores. I think I'll shorten the path, cuz I just played the CLASSIC map (it was on rotation with this map) and things were much faster paced cuz the bases were closer to each other. I'll update it when I get up in the evening lol

Comment

Neo,

No prob. Since people can make changes to their map it really ****** me off how I can't change my rating to reflect an improved map over its original... One rating is all you get on this site apparently. It would be nice if you could register only one vote, but were able to freely change it whenever.

Comment

1. the maps looks very nice
                    2. the long way is ok and need a good backteam playing
                    3. and yes it was and it is a sniper-camp map

Comment

Map looks really ****ing nice. Love your take on an old classic. Downloading now.

Comment

Really cool, I had been looking forward to trying out this one. But please honor your work and take it to the finish line, hurry up and put BETA in the title of this thread and request a mod to move it to the beta release forum.

It's cool that you pushed to get it out as a christmas present but beta would be fine - nothing ruins a map like server conflicts between different versions, and this map has potential spoiled by a few minor issues that I am sure you can work out in time. And you should, it would be a shame for this to be an "almost-there" map.

Definitely put some sort of connection in the center, andother building with jump pads, just SOMETHING. Also, if you really can't get the flow right, you can always consider making the neccesary adjustments and changing to vCTF :P

Comment

Originally posted by booshack View Post
                          Really cool, I had been looking forward to trying out this one. But please honor your work and take it to the finish line, hurry up and put BETA in the title of this thread and request a mod to move it to the beta release forum.

It's cool that you pushed to get it out as a christmas present but beta would be fine - nothing ruins a map like server conflicts between different versions, and this map has potential spoiled by a few minor issues that I am sure you can work out in time. And you should, it would be a shame for this to be an "almost-there" map.

Definitely put some sort of connection in the center, andother building with jump pads, just SOMETHING. Also, if you really can't get the flow right, you can always consider making the neccesary adjustments and changing to vCTF :P
                          I totally agree, minus the vCTF (personally hate vehicles in UT.) This map is still quite Beta and needs to be seen as so.

(sorry for a triple post, but I don't know which out of the many threads you posted this in you will check)

NeoGzus, don't worry, you will get the problems worked out. This is definitely a different layout then face classic and that is fine.

Comments: I will play this as much as I Can because this map is great.

Visual:

- I wish the Planets were not rotating with you. It should feel like the asteroid is rotating alone. Also, can you tone down the speed of the rotation, I was almost getting a headache?
                          - Your interiors are way too long and simple, it just doesn't seem up to par with how much work you put in the exteriors

Gameplay: I know you aren't pulling off an exact Face layout, but there a few things it does so well that you are missing.
                          - Close the back door. If you want an entrance, make it WAY smaller and actually have a door that opens. The close confines of the original face, really added to separate the sniping. Actually, I feel the same way about the side doors, shrink them and put opening and closing doors. I think it would make a wonderful element.
                          - Put the Portals inside the the building, making it harder for people to get to the top so easy.
                          - Most important, switch the Flak Cannon and the Flag. If the Flag was in the base and you had less entrances into each base and they were more confined, it would add some real tight and quick gameplay
                          - Actually, I think the weapons are way too close to each other. I would take away one stinger and put the Flak where one of them was, and move the Rocket Launcher and ground sniper rifle to where the ground portals are.
                          - Add a vertical element in the flag room, that people can translocate up to to get good guarding angles
                          - Why put jump boots at the top, I would put them on the second floor and maybe something like a vest or helmet at the top, to help from being Head Shot.
                          - Make the bridges closer to each other, so people can translocate between them if need be. You currently can, but it takes a few tries and a bit of jumping, it should be easier
                          - Your Second floor room should be be made way smaller, right now there is so little there it is at the point of ridiculous. I would end it right after the portal and why is it so tall? The Textures look stretched out.

I hope you don't think I am being harsh, I just want to see this map top notched and long lived. We all know they are going to put out the original face updated and would like to see you live long past when it comes out.

Comment

As great as this is it becomes painfully obvious that is far from complete and as stated above should be moved to the Beta releases section.

Warping effect after killing someone:
                            http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/9...1103542ks7.jpg

Mass white "cut out" ring effect in sky (unless this is intended for some reason?)
                            http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/4...0900842sc0.jpg

Don't be downhearted though mate, for a first attempt it's clearly destined to be something pretty special. It however fully deserves to be completed first.

I also agree the flag needs repositioning, so that it feels more like a fight to get out of the base with it. Close the back entry and it will be great. Also, add some extra sniper ammo

Comment

I must say I really like what you did with the buildings, the interior and the teleporters. I like that it is much easier to get to the top (less running=good). The part of the map right after spawn seems to flow quite well, and overall I think you did a good job with the flag bases with the old school scrap in there and the quick acces to portals.

I think you have something going here, the changed bases give the map a very coherent feel. It is a map that is much bigger than face, so I think it really works to just stick with the outdoor'ish feel. I'm sure Epic's version of face will be true to the UT99 version, so be careful not to enter redundancy. Infact, take what you have and go with the theme. Consider adding a bit of polish on all inside places, my framerate seemed to be able to handle it.

Revel911, you make a point about it being too easy to get to the top of the building. Don't forget that running around the structure to get inside leaves you open for snipers, so either way you are making the life easier for the snipers. I think the solution is to give some cover around the middle of the map, along with some alternative routing so you can suprise your opponent. It's gonna take a lot of thinking to work that out well, but this map definitely shows some talent from a first timer - I'm sure you can pull it off.

PS: I really like the jump boots placement on the top, made a lot of sense to me as I always like trying to jump down with the flag or if I'm sniping.

Comment

Working...
                              X