Yet Another GrendelKeep ReHash -- DM-MooKeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another GrendelKeep ReHash -- DM-MooKeep

Final Release of DM-MooKeep for DM and TDM (and maybe TAM) game types.

ScreenShots:

--

--

--

Download from here: (-- Busted Version--)
    http://www.texnolyze.us/UT3/DM-MooKeep.zip

** EDIT **
    Working Complete Version:
    http://www.texnolyze.us/UT3/DM-MooKeep-final14.zip

Please note this map dosn't work well in single player mode because I didn't setup any bot pathing in this map. Design for TDM multiplayer.

Have fun, and let the spam be with you.

-- BioVorE

Thank you for this map, it looks great. Unfortunately I started it and it immediately crashed with the message lighting needs to be rebuilt Maybe needs a re-upload?

Comment

Looks great but I am concerned with what the above poster has said. Can you please make sure that your level is indeed okay and not causing any crashing because it does look like it will be a lot of fun to play. Thanks.

Comment

Anuban,

You must check these foums every hour! lol, I am too, the stock maps were pretty bad overall (except maybe CTF stuff) and there are WAY too many stock Warfare/VCTF maps. Since you're obviously playing the whole day, you wanna 1v1 or something to pass some time?

You'd have to host since my hosting is bugged now due to the official patch. Send a friend invite on UT3 to Seven_Force_80. I have all the good full releases from here, I'm sure you do as well.

To TC, please fix whatever issue there is and I'll give your map a try.

Comment

Anyone else give the download a go? maybe i just got a bad d/l?

Comment

Nope it is bad. I got the lighting error and it locked up my computer. The mapname and author are also still balnk.

BioVore you are close to making a much better rendition of GrendelKeep than anyone else.

My personal preference would be to drop the high tech building scenery.....it is so cliche and move it closer to what we all enjoyed in DM-DE-GrendelKeep. Put a good sky mesh up top and do some texture alignment and rebuild the lighting.

BTW what is up with MooKeep? Kind of a odd name.

Comment

hmm.. maybe need a repost..
              I'll recook and see whats up..

Comment

Originally posted by LordStrider View Post
                Nope it is bad. I got the lighting error and it locked up my computer. The mapname and author are also still balnk.

BioVore you are close to making a much better rendition of GrendelKeep than anyone else.

My personal preference would be to drop the high tech building scenery.....it is so cliche and move it closer to what we all enjoyed in DM-DE-GrendelKeep. Put a good sky mesh up top and do some texture alignment and rebuild the lighting.

BTW what is up with MooKeep? Kind of a odd name.
                Well can the rest of us see the level first please before any changes are made. I like the fact the map is a bit different and not an exact remake ... it keeps things fresh imo. Hope the issue gets resolved because I sure want to play this level.

@Seven_Force - Yep I am a UT junkie plus I like being around to be helpful, As far as playing online ... nah I suck to hard at this version of UT3 and I don't want to make a fool out of myself by getting owned by someone who is way better than me. Now if you were just an average (and I mean average player sure but I bet you play bots on adept or higher and for this UT that is out of my league). Otherwise I would probably have fun playing you ... if we were each getting some kills. Somehow though I think you are trying to set me up man.

Comment

Lighting Fixed.

Not sure what happend, must have grabbed the wrong file.
                  Anyway here (hopefully) is a cooked version with all the BSP lighting intacked

Download from here:
                  http://www.texnolyze.us/UT3/DM-MooKeep.zip

Comment

Thanks man ... this is turning out to be a cool afternoon ... got some cool new maps to check out ... I love UT and I appreciate you level designers enormously.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
                      Well can the rest of us see the level first please before any changes are made. I like the fact the map is a bit different and not an exact remake ... it keeps things fresh imo. Hope the issue gets resolved because I sure want to play this level.
                      Nothing wrong with fresh, nor is there anything wrong with variations in remakes. In fact I've seen some very good remakes lately.

But taking a map like GrendelKeep which is a map set in a specific environment and putting high tech buildings in it is kind of counter design-ish.

That would be like taking TheDeck map and putting a farm yard scene around it. In fact I have said before all the Deck maps have had good variations and variety in them. Each new rendition has been fresh, yet they still retain the environment.

You can have fresh and variety, but many of the best level designers have said try to use elements that look like they belong in your environment.

To quote CliffyB:

"At any given point in development a designer needs to be able to step back, look at his work and think, "Does this make sense?" More often than not he’ll discover little details that make no sense, such as structurally impossible architecture that seems out of place or ice beasts near lava pits. The users may not notice these details on the conscious level but will sure feel it on a subconscious level which will affect his overall game experience negatively."

To quote Hourences:

"Like everything else, architecture must have a good sense of unity and connectivity.....Stick to a style, theme and the same feel of detail at all times."

Just my humble comment. I think sometimes people try to use things to fill up space, yet don't take into account "why they put them there".

Comment

Map not quite working yet

Well after I reposted I noticed the unreal editor seems to have added a bocking volume on the bridge.. Dosn't show in the unreal editor nor dose it show in the in editor players..

Tring to figure that out.. untill then.. this map probaby won't fly..

Comment

Originally posted by LordStrider View Post

That would be like taking TheDeck map and putting a farm yard scene around it. In fact I have said before all the Deck maps have had good variations and variety in them. Each new rendition has been fresh, yet they still retain the environment.

Just my humble comment.
                          Actually once again we disagree. In fact my favorite Deck remake is actually a totally different take on deck on you almost wouldn't recognize it if you really didn't know the layout. It is called Deck2004 and it is really an amazing map. I think it just depends on the execution and again the overall feel ... unless you are doing a 100% remake and that is what you say you are setting out to do ... otherwise I don't see any problem at all in being imaginative with an old classic and adding new variations to it. Just my opinion but I have seen it work ... at least for me.

Comment

Originally posted by biovore View Post
                            Well after I reposted I noticed the unreal editor seems to have added a bocking volume on the bridge.. Dosn't show in the unreal editor nor dose it show in the in editor players..

Bummer I was just about to play this map ... well keep us posted and as soon as you get a version that is playable I'll definitely download it and give it a spin. Again thanks for your work.

Comment

Originally posted by biovore View Post

LMAOOOOOOOO yerh i d/l ed again before i read 2nd page. However on a brighter note if there is ever a UT3 moonwalking competition I think I'm in with a good chance :P

Comment

Working...
                              X