DM-Ourea Beta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Ourea Beta

Alright, thanks everyone for waiting patiently after I posted the preview (and thank you for the kind words)! I just cooked and uploaded the first Beta release of this map. Looking for all kinds of feedback and I hope you all enjoy it!

DOWNLOAD

Hi Biogenesis.

Glad to see there's still development of ut3 maps Have been playing first PS'es since Duke Nukem, Quake etc. and have been looking at a lot of beautiful screenshots. Yours seems very promising, but as we all know, U got to give us a beta (or an alpha) to try: Location, location, location (playing the map) is the only way to test, if it all adds up in the end in a good way.

A little something i noticed: 'I Don't like the look of the tree' in your last screenshot. Maybe to 'cliche'?.. unless you are meant to climb the all to large branch, or the tree is meant to attack you -like 'Diablo 3'ish

Keep up th good work and map come soon I hope

Greetings from H*

Comment

1 word looking the pics.............. WOW Love all the custom assets you have in there

But, it look more like a work of art rather than a map ??? There is 0 pickups in all scenes ???

I can see many places players will collide on something so I hope you already put in place blocking volume !

It look stunning and I'm curious to play the level when ready.

Comment

Looks a great map, hopefully will play great too

Will wait when you'll finish it

Comment

Bumping thread, not sure if people noticed it was updated lol

Comment

Holy Moly, this looks **** beautiful! I'm really in love with this design, because it is so very vivid and lovely. Gonna take a closer look at this one later!

Comment

Great look only no download!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaal979 View Post
                Great look only no download!
                Copy "http://www.erictberger.com/Files/DM-Ourea-Beta.zip" and insert it in your browser's URL and then click "ENTER".

Comment

ah thanks Anubis, I just fixed the download link, had it backwards lol

Comment

Fantastic i love your map
                    very nice, it's beautiful

Comment

Originally posted by Biogenesis View Post
                      ah thanks Anubis, I just fixed the download link, had it backwards lol
                      You're welcome!

Just took a quick look at your map and I have to say, it is a beautiful map. I'm in love with the whole map in general. I mean, it looks breathaking, I love the ambient, atmosphere and the kind of detail you put in this map. At some points I thought, things were made out of textures only, but then I saw those things are single meshes and there many of them. Very detailed, that's for sure and I really like that. It's also something you don't see everyday, that I can see my own person in the water, which is pretty badass and a cool feature! Kinda funny to see, that the whole map is made out of static meshes only. Was really shocked and laughing my *** off, when I hid all static meshes and I stood in void, hehe.

Despite the lovely detail and design in general you put in this map, there is one thing I can't really deal with. You're the one, who made the DM-Gardenia map, and this map has at some points pretty intense and saturated lighting. Your current map has an even more intense and saturated lighting. I play with default post processing and sometimes it is just too much. I mean, the red textures of the rocket launchers cries when you are outside, but I can deal with the lighting in the cavern. Only the lighting outside is pretty intense and kinda too much saturated. Maybe you could decrease this a little bit, in order to have a similar one like in DM-Gardenia. Just a thought.

This map really deserves some relaxing ambient sounds! Something like wind or animals, you know and you definitely need a relaxing music track for this map or maybe something epic. Also, I believe your water makes no sound at the moment as well, I mean when you dive in or get out of it (not sure about this, have to check).

Normally my GPU (MSI GTX660) is pretty bored when I play UT3, I mean power consumption is at max. 45% and temperature is at max. 45°C, but once I play your beta map, I suddenly reach more than 100% power consumption (not always, but the average is at 70% and higher) and 57°C. I get the impression of playing Borderlands 2, but it's not the case. Do you have any idea what might cause this, because I tested many other maps, even your DM-Gardenia map and all values of my GPU were normal, except DM-Ourea Beta.

Comment

Ok, lots of feedback there!

lighting: I tried to achieve more vibrant lighting in this map than what I had seen or done before in any UT3 map, to do that i started with some really intense post processing values and lit and textured everything to that. So I guess I'm just saying it was the goal the whole time. I do understand though, that it could be problematic for some players! I'll keep an eye on everyone's feedback and if its a recurring theme in the feedback I'll try tuning it down and post up some comparison shots to try and get consensus.

sound: I haven't done an ambient sound pass yet, i wanted to get the map out as soon as I got it fully playable in order to get feedback on the gameplay sooner. I'll release a second beta or release candidate that is more or less complete which will have sounds and music before releasing a final version. For the music, I'm aiming to get a nice custom music track in place, but the person composing / recording it has limited time, so i'm not sure if that will pan out.

Performance: There is definitely some minor work I can do to get this running faster, but I also decided to target a higher spec than usual (the game has been out for 7 years, people must have better computers now!): higher polygon counts, more meshes, and extra features you don't usually see like the water reflections, heavy use of alpha blended materials, complex materials, and some pretty heavy particle fog fx. When I release the final version it might run a little bit better but it won't hit the usual performance levels.

Comment

Wow this map is beautiful!

Comment

I am v. impressed!

Comment

Haha... I'm glad you all like it, but I'm dying to hear some feedback on the gameplay!!! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X