Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 Fixes (Beta): A UT3 Bugfix Mutator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did think of one more thing:

Originally posted by Bubble_Damage View Post
    • Link Generator: This deployable now heals vehicles more smoothly, which looks nicer on the HUD.
    While this a neat idea and definitely does look nicer, you might want to keep an eye on this feature, if not roll it back, just for a technical reason ... changes to a vehicle's health is a piece of data that the game must broadcast immediately to all clients across the network ... and, as per-client bandwidth is a scarce resource that needs to be conserved at every opportunity, any time you have a game mechanic that involves a sustained, predictable change, it's good if you can reduce the update interval as much as possible ... since, of course, as a server fills up, network consumption accelerates (compared to hosting 8 players, a server with 24 players, while it's 3 times the size, it costs up to 9 times the bandwidth).

IINM this is also the reason certain classes of updates in UT3 (e.g. Power Core flooding, updates to the scoreboard, etc.) are intentionally not delivered continuously or instantaneously, but rather delayed by an interval of one second or more.

Comment

Originally posted by Veggie_D View Post
      I did think of one more thing:

While this a neat idea and definitely does look nicer, you might want to keep an eye on this feature, if not roll it back, just for a technical reason ... changes to a vehicle's health is a piece of data that the game must broadcast immediately to all clients across the network ... and, as per-client bandwidth is a scarce resource that needs to be conserved at every opportunity, any time you have a game mechanic that involves a sustained, predictable change, it's good if you can reduce the update interval as much as possible ... since, of course, as a server fills up, network consumption accelerates (compared to hosting 8 players, a server with 24 players, while it's 3 times the size, it costs up to 9 times the bandwidth).

IINM this is also the reason certain classes of updates in UT3 (e.g. Power Core flooding, updates to the scoreboard, etc.) are intentionally not delivered continuously or instantaneously, but rather delayed by an interval of one second or more.
      Thanks for the heads up. I've never really known anything about client/server communication, so I'll look out for this.

Comment

reduce the update interval as much as possible
        (should have said "reduce the update frequency" ... but you get me)

Comment

Build 2 of the beta version is now released. I have updated the original post.

Changes

• Longbow AVRiL: The vehicle suicide bug is now fixed by causing the AVRiL to lose its lock, rather than preventing it from dealing self damage.

• Hellbender: The gunner seat's charge bar looks better on the HUD now.

• Nightshade / StealthBender: These vehicles now deploy bug-fixed deployables instead of old ones.

• Paladin: The shield stay feature is now activated by pressing space, rather than by double right clicking.

• StealthBender: The StealthBender was broken in the last build, and would not appear in the game. This is now fixed.

• All deployables: The Throw Weapon bug was not fully fixed before. Hopefully this release will fix it.

New Fixes

• X-Ray Field: Fixed the nearby deployables bug. It is no longer possible to place other deployables inside or near an X-Ray Field.

New Features

• Warfare: Healing friendly vehicles now provides a score bonus (much more slight than the bonus for healing nodes). Note that this bonus is only given when healing a vehicle occupied by a team-mate.

Let me know what you think!

Comment

• Warfare: Healing friendly vehicles now provides a score bonus (much more slight than the bonus for healing nodes). Note that this bonus is only given when healing a vehicle occupied by a team-mate.

Is this a fix? Maybe give a bonus point for taxis and weapon throwing sniper to me :+)

Comment

It's an added feature; I put it in because vehicle healing deserves a reward IMO. I like the taxi idea.

Comment

Have not tried the 2nd build. But on the 1st I had problems with the Paliden shield disappearing but still active. I would go to fire and instead release the shield pulse.

A few suggestions/fixes:

Fix redeemer pickup bug where if you were on it while it spawns the pickup still looks like it's available when it really is not. I think this only happens online.

Increase Palidin primary fire rate a teeny amount!

All vehicle carcases have zero collision for players, vehicles, and even for weapons.

I know of a MAJOR exploit on a map that would destroy the map if people knew about it - not sure if you can add collision (actor) to a specific map at a specific coordinate? I would have to show you a pic over PM.

The "tallness" bug after respawning from levi explosion should apply to redeemer and Titan explosion too.

Deployables can be dropped on top of each other if you are high enough.

AVRL bug where lock oscillates between two targets then fails to hit either of them.

Comment

It's an added feature; I put it in because vehicle healing deserves a reward IMO. I like the taxi idea.
                  Along the same lines, UT99 had a mutator that gave you bonus points when you killed someone near your own flag carrier as "assist" points. Really helped CTF. I imagine it would help VCTF and CTF. Orb too.

Comment

Originally posted by tarnationsauce2 View Post
                    Fix redeemer pickup bug where if you were on it while it spawns the pickup still looks like it's available when it really is not. I think this only happens online.
                    This has been on my fix list for awhile; sadly I have no idea what to do about it.

Increase Palidin primary fire rate a teeny amount!
                    Haha, the main gun is certainly a bit weak. I think the fixes I made to the shield will make it more powerful though, so I'm wary of going ahead and increasing damage output.

All vehicle carcases have zero collision for players, vehicles, and even for weapons.
                    Running into dead vehicles is an important feature of the game though, and it would look weird to be able to walk through a dead tank right after it died. I only turned off collisions for the Scorpion's carcass, which would typically be invisible and very hard to move.

I know of a MAJOR exploit on a map that would destroy the map if people knew about it - not sure if you can add collision (actor) to a specific map at a specific coordinate? I would have to show you a pic over PM.
                    Send me a pic/explanation and I'll see if I can do anything.

The "tallness" bug after respawning from levi explosion should apply to redeemer and Titan explosion too.
                    I actually have no idea how to fix the true bug. I fixed the levi bug by replacing it's shake animation with the deemer's. This isn't a perfect solution, but the levi seems to distort the camera much more frequently.

Deployables can be dropped on top of each other if you are high enough.
                    Good point, I forgot about that. I'll see what I can do.

AVRL bug where lock oscillates between two targets then fails to hit either of them.
                    I don't think I've seen it oscillate between two different targets. I have seen it spin wildly around a manta, but I'm not quite sure how I'd fix that (nor do I want do, it's hilarious ).

Along the same lines, UT99 had a mutator that gave you bonus points when you killed someone near your own flag carrier as "assist" points. Really helped CTF. I imagine it would help VCTF and CTF. Orb too.
                    Good idea, I'll add it to the list.

Comment

Good idea, I'll add it to the list.
                      This is already part of the game (see UTGame/UTTeamGame.uc: ScoreKill, FindVictimsTarget).

Besides the usual frag point and additional +2 for killing a flag/orb carrier, you also get +1 for killing an enemy who was aiming at your team's flag carrier.

However, the +1 "assist" is switched off for Warfare, for whatever reason.

Comment

This is already part of the game (see UTGame/UTTeamGame.uc: ScoreKill, FindVictimsTarget).

Besides the usual frag point and additional +2 for killing a flag/orb carrier, you also get +1 for killing an enemy who was aiming at your team's flag carrier.

However, the +1 "assist" is switched off for Warfare, for whatever reason.
                        Oh I guess I never noticed that.
                        For the UT99 mutator it would give you a little message that you assisted the FC and the extra point.
                        -------------

Bubble, I seem to be getting a lot more than usual death messaged in Green. So many that if I were online I don't think I would like it.

Comment

Brilliant!

I've also thought before of whether it'd be good to construct a point-sharing-accrual system to reward vehicle healing. This is fun to think about but maybe kind of hard to detail all the ins and outs; let me try to explain....

Suppose you start with a teammate in a full (900hp) Tank. Then ...
                          • enemy Scorpion rams the Tank (–600);
                          • ejected enemy Avrils the Tank (–200);
                          • you say, "oh shyte me Tank-mate needs heals!" and start linking;
                          • enemy gets a few Flak shards into the Tank (for –100, let's say) before Tank kills him;
                          • you keep linking and linking, until Tank is fully healed.

At this point you've personally dumped +900 of heals into your Tank driver; you've given your Tank the equivalent of an extra life. As reward for this, from this point forward until the Tank either dies or gets hijacked, you the healer will receive a copy of every point scored by that Tank.

This would be applied partially as well: suppose you dump +300 of heals into a Tank; in that case you will receive 1 point for every 3 scored by that Tank ... dump another +300 and your accrued bonus rate goes up to 2 points for every 3, and so on up to a maximum of 1:1. Your bonus tops out there, but other teammates can join the scoring party, too, for as long as you all can keep that Tank up.

Now, implementing this would be a bit more involved ... but it's not too bad. I can throw you some napkin-back unrealscript if this idea sounds interesting.

Comment

Awesome Mutator. I like most of the fixes. Are these options configurable for those who like most of them but want to turn off other features, cuz that would be epic.

One minor change I would like to see, since this affects a lot of vehicles: Accurate machine gun for the goliath, even at the cost of some damage would make it a viable weapon. As it is now, I mostly use it to knock hoverboarders down and hop out to finish them off with an actual weapon. I mean, seriously the thing is less accurate than the Stinger, which is hand-held and meant to be spammy. A mounted MG on a tank would be quite stable.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't really feel comfortable making major changes to game dynamics (i.e. amping or nerfing weapons). For the most part, I want to leave the game as Epic intended it. I'm just looking to fix bugs and add features that would be nice to have but were never implemented.

Originally posted by tarnationsauce2
                              Bubble, I seem to be getting a lot more than usual death messaged in Green. So many that if I were online I don't think I would like it.
                              Could you clarify?

Comment

I disagree. Hiding behind a dead tank has saved my butt in the past. This collision is only bad when the wreckage is invisible.

Comment

Working...
                                X