• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Esoteric

Name:

DM-Esoteric

Version:

Description:

A symmetrical Halo styled DM map for UT in a cave.

Known Issues
    Bots can act weird.
    Glass one the shock rifle spawn glitches with it's collision.

Download:

http://www.upload.mastergamers.net/d...6ee17af5f09edb

Screenshot:

Credits:

HaloUT
    Teltaur

Download:

http://www.upload.mastergamers.net/d...6ee17af5f09edb

The only thing I can think of is maybe the dark-colored bots/players have an advantage in here right now. It seems the central area (if that's indeed where it is) is bright enough, but the outer areas need more light. Not sure if that's one of the lighting issues you were going to fix or not. I'm sure this is the case in a lot of dark maps though, so maybe it's not as big of an issue as I'm making it out to be.

Comment

Cool to see a second map using Teltaur's textures

Geometry is very very interesting & I like the overall darkness of the map

You might to check those points:

- The lighting look to uniform. Also giving the amount of light you have in there, it should be way much brighter overall. Using different emitting colors from the main material using on columns would add visual diversity instead of all white.
      - Many materials look to big comparing to the player size. Like in pic # 1, the players look like a smurf size wise since the floor tile are as twice the player size.
      - Pickups are to close to walls in pic # 4, at least moving them like 64 uu's would improve flow.

Don't have time these days to beta test but at least I can give you some comments based on your pics.

Comment

Changes that I'm fixing up now:

Light is fixed, One side with green lighting and the other one with yellow and the middle contains blue lighting.
        Post proccesing changed to something spacy (similair to the Deimos effect) same goes for the skybox.

I'm still working on the floor and some collision issues and some pick-ups fixes, anything else I could change to make it better?
        I was also thinking about adding a zero-grav volume, would it do any good?

Comment

Download just sits there.....maybe a diff. place for next version or final DL.

Comment

I played a round & I must say impressive geometry

Things that annoy me :

- Most pickups are to close to walls. While this pickup placement is good for competitive maps, it doesn't fit for this kind of map.
            - Landing spot near the UDamage need to be more far away. The UDamage is way to easy to collect.
            - Lift that lead you to the belt is moving to fast. Beside, the belt is to easy to collect.
            - The vest need to be somewhere else, not enough exposed at the current location. Beside, it's harder to kill the sniper since the players collect the weapon + the armor and is located above the others. Maybe just remove the shock weapon base & put the vest there instead.
            - All lift use metal sound but it doesn't really fit with the predominant glass material ? Nice lift design btw
            - Need to add some health at the exterior part of the map, where you have the shock weapon base. Dunno but those areas aren't enough worthy.
            - Many spots need some material alignment.
            - Need player count in the ini because I have no idea how much players this level need. I played with 4 bots but it feel it ain't enough.

A very nice design you got there & it's very cool to see Teltaur tx in another map ! Keep up the good work

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
              Cool to see a second map using Teltaur's textures
              Sorry for offtopic, but where i can get those textures?

Ps. NVM google found it

Halo-Series-Forerunner-Asset-Pack

Comment

Fun map, nice layout, bots work fine for me as well, and some nice geometry

I agree on most of Steve's points.
                My points would mainly concern about the lightning:

- There seem to be alot of colored emissive materials, but none actually emit a colored light.
                Take a look at below screenshot.

- You could color the lower part of one of these "light based" emissive materials and make it colory, like a lighter tweaked out orange (Just for example)
                To destroy the repetitiveness in white lightning.
                - The ceiling light seems light blue, make a blue colored light above it. Might be with a small brightness, since it really does not stand out in the scene.

- It might be some work, but there is no really open sky to lit the scene here too. So I think your Skylight brightness could be lowered abit.
                Also, the rest of the Emissive lights, which are white, are pretty bright due to a probably high Constant or strong emissive texture.
                If this is the case, they also could use some Pointlights with higher brightness to destroy the flat lightning.

Hope these points help you!
                Keep it up, really nice design!

Comment

Here's a minor screenshot update of the lighting/post proccesing volume and skybox.

I just wished I could fix it faster but I'm even getting random crashes when editing multiple pointlights

Spaaaceee

Comment

Very nice!

Originally posted by Ice.T View Post
                    Here's a minor screenshot update of the lighting/post proccesing volume and skybox.

I just wished I could fix it faster but I'm even getting random crashes when editing multiple pointlights

Spaaaceee
                    Looks very nice m8!

Comment

New version available, Updated the OP with new screenshots etc.

Download: http://www.upload.mastergamers.net/d...6ee17af5f09edb

I'm still trying to fix up the lighting because compared to the above screenshots the current lighting looks bad.

Comment

Very nice Ice.T, The colors seem to blend in smooth.

The lightning is still kind of uniform. Try raising the Lightmap on the floors and walls where Global lightning comes in to about 4.0.
                        I personally use 8.0 for smaller light actors or with lower light sources. The brightness kind of determines the shadow in the scene.
                        If your brightness is 2.0/2.5 on a Dynamic Light actor, you could expect a more thick and hard shadow (2.0/1.0)
                        Normal Dynamic light is about 4.0/8.0 depending on how detailed you want your shadow to be as well.

EDIT: Stevelois has a great lightning tutorial on his corner

Comment

Originally posted by Darkn3ss is QnL View Post
                          Very nice Ice.T, The colors seem to blend in smooth.

EDIT: Stevelois has a great lightning tutorial on his corner
                          Thx, I'll look into Stevelois tutorial to see if I change it in a better way.

Comment

Working...
                          X