No announcement yet.

DM-SerenityBay [FinalCandidate1][Pics][Download available][Updated: 6th March]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-SerenityBay [FinalCandidate1][Pics][Download available][Updated: 6th March]

Map name:
    Serenity Bay

Current version:
    Final candidate 1

What's new:
    - Normal maps added
    - Visual bugs and small issues fixed
    - Pickups locations tuned
    - New cubemaps
    - Music added
    - Map preview video
    - Dozens of small flaws diminished

What to do next:
    - More test
    - Prepare the flyby video
    - Eliminate the bugs

PC version Download:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/404348/MyMap...eta04-FC01.zip
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/c365...eta04-FC01.zip

PS3 version Download:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/404348/MyMap...ayFC01-PS3.zip
    http://www.filefactory.com/file/c372...ayFC01-PS3.zip

About this map:
    Well it's been more than a year after my last map for UT3. I thought about less mapping and having fun with other games, but it turned out I couldn't really stop make maps for UT. Even though this map started as a part of an UDK project, it became a UT3 map at some point when that project seemed pointless and I figured since the layout is good why not make it an UT3 DM map.
    The "story" of this map is set in the year 2014 (not our universe of course). And human race suffers mass extinction for some reasons blah blah blah...
    I love post-apocalyptic themes in movies and games, especially those looks realistic. HL2, Stalker, I am legend, Falling skies, The walking dead...As for this map, I got inspiration mostly from I am legend, TWD, and visually kinda GTA (when I was working on the streetview and the whole bay environment).

Map characteristic:
    - Outdoor map with a few indoor rooms. You can go everywhere inside the playable area.
    - Size is big. Not good for duel or less than 3on3.
    - It's a map designed for fun, not competitive gameplay.
    - No shock rifle available, the reason I will give in the next post.
    - Realistic visual elements, but I tried my best to make them fit the caliber of UT.

Screenshots:

GI-like lighting

You have to use jumpboots to get the mega health pack.

Attached Files

As you can see the map looks almost finished. So don't bother to suggest a layout change or something big. Other things? you are very welcome to comment on.

There is no shock rifle in this map, due to a collision bug that when you get very close to a collision (with BlockingPlayer=true) obj, even it doesn't block bullet, it blocks shock ball (same problem happens to bio rifle but the goo just sticks there and won't explode immediately) and splash damage to you. This is normally not a problem when the collision obj represents a solid wall or something, but when comes to fence or rails with big holes you can shoot through (so you set the blockingbullets as false), it is awkard and annoying.

The redeemer.

Xbox with 3 red lights.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The screenshots look fantastic, good work.

Also I would appreciate it if you could point me to a tutorial on global illumination and how to import it into UT3.
        I'm working on some custom maps inspired from Mirror's Edge, and it would really make them that much better looking if I could get some realistic lighting in there.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Chong!!!! So awesome that you are still mapping. Your maps are amazing! The visuals look incredible as usual. Will be trying this baby out.

Comment

Hey Lee

Been a while I didn't beta test a map from you ! Happy you still map for UT3 even if it was a UDK project first. I must say all pics look very nice

Will try it asap !

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

woww look good
                  so cool you still make mapsfor ut3

Comment

Originally posted by Remus View Post
                    The screenshots look fantastic, good work.

Also I would appreciate it if you could point me to a tutorial on global illumination and how to import it into UT3.
                    I'm working on some custom maps inspired from Mirror's Edge, and it would really make them that much better looking if I could get some realistic lighting in there.
                    Thx!!

It's not real global illumination there. It's ALL FAKE. Many hours of hard work on placing and tuning many hundreds of lights, and not to mention the hours of building and rebuilding the lighting.

The trick here is just understand the physics of light and as one of my hobby is photography so I guess that helps too.

Originally posted by M^vL View Post
                    Chong!!!! So awesome that you are still mapping. Your maps are amazing! The visuals look incredible as usual. Will be trying this baby out.
                    Hehe, thanks!

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                    Hey Lee

Been a while I didn't beta test a map from you ! Happy you still map for UT3 even if it was a UDK project first. I must say all pics look very nice

Will try it asap !
                    Yup, been a while really. I am glad you guys are still playing this game.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The portal produced by "Massive Dynamic". haha

The belt sits in the pool.

Attached Files

Comment

Must-have! 5/5

What a spectacular map you've got here, really caught some inspirations of your work! Must be the perfect way for starting a new balance of mapping. I'll give it a try and downloading your other maps for UT2004 and UT3 for sure; plus make my short review(s) wisely on the forums. Anyway you could be one of the best mappers ever made!

PS: Just saw this on the BuF thread last December; and oh, the Xbox mesh looks nice. I bet some UT3 players would love to see this map if possible.

Comment

Just had a flyby to see your next masterpiece

I didn't played yet but I wanted to post that everything in this level is **** nice. I love the water effect, the realtime camera in the "bubble" (don't know how to say otherwise), the electro-thing-machine lol & many other stuff ! Everything is very stylish.

From my first flyby, atmosphere, lighting, the concept, all assets are superb. Again, you impress me

I'll play later but I wanted to do a quick flyby only & make this little post I did notice some little things, like some cars that float above the ground (like 32 uu's) & flickering meshes on the ground but will post pics later. I also notice some materials that would benefit from normal map but you mention it in your to do list.

Will be back asap. As for the map, it's another masterpiece, a keeper when final !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tux Android View Post
                              What a spectacular map you've got here, really caught some inspirations of your work! Must be the perfect way for starting a new balance of mapping. I'll give it a try and downloading your other maps for UT2004 and UT3 for sure; plus make my short review(s) wisely on the forums. Anyway you could be one of the best mappers ever made!

PS: Just saw this on the BuF thread last December; and oh, the Xbox mesh looks nice. I bet some UT3 players would love to see this map if possible.
                              Thanks! But a best mapper, that's something hard to tell, I know I am not good at something and many mappers can make great maps. One thing I know for sure is I spent a lot of time for UT mapping (maybe not that much compared to photography but still I didn't do this for any other games).

I've got 2 xbox, one got 3 red lits and the same thing happened to all my friends' xbox so I figured it's such a common thing that will definitely happen in other universes

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                              Just had a flyby to see your next masterpiece

I didn't played yet but I wanted to post that everything in this level is **** nice. I love the water effect, the realtime camera in the "bubble" (don't know how to say otherwise), the electro-thing-machine lol & many other stuff ! Everything is very stylish.

From my first flyby, atmosphere, lighting, the concept, all assets are superb. Again, you impress me

I'll play later but I wanted to do a quick flyby only & make this little post I did notice some little things, like some cars that float above the ground (like 32 uu's) & flickering meshes on the ground but will post pics later. I also notice some materials that would benefit from normal map but you mention it in your to do list.

Will be back asap. As for the map, it's another masterpiece, a keeper when final !!!
                              What bubble? You mean the black hole created by the portal machine? That's the light being curved! haha

I didn't carefully tune the cars so some of they are off ground and actually some of the cars you see in the editor is hidden in game and no collision is given. I am testing the car locations as it affect the gameplay.

I may not add normal map for everything. It's already a map of big file size and I am trying my best to keep it small.

Comment

Working...
                              X