• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Cauldron

Name: DM-Cauldron
    Version: 1.0
    Compatibility: latest PC version
    Description: DM-Cauldron is an 8 - 12 player map set inside a Volcano. Teleporters connect the bottom platform to the hanging platform above. Its very vertical with slightly lighter gravity. The lava raises and lowers once every few minutes killing anybody on the lower platform.
    Comments: I'm still polishing so any critiques and bugs are more than welcome.
    Screenshot:

Homepage: http://bobbyross.com/gallery/dm_caul...ron_index.html
    Download:
    http://bobbyross.com/gallery/dm_caul...m_cauldron.rar

fun idea and nice start....D/Ling ,thx for ur work & welcome

Comment

Thanks for trying it out. I was having a hard time finding testers for it.

Comment

yo, i m back with some comments:

-i like a lot the theme and how u have put it together, the giant skulls & skeleton are top notch

-thoses circular "arenas" are nice

-the map is huge and imo could fit better to other gametypes like ctf, dom or war.tbh for now i wasnt really able to understand how to play the map, the gameplay isnt very intense with a few bots but quite unplayable with a lot: it s a challenge to keep ur feet
        on the way but with 10 bots firing from all around it s very hard...lol^^

-i find the low grav acceptable outside but i found it weird and to low inside the structures

-the fog u have use is white and honnestly something more red/orange could fit better

-i had the feeling to see some sort of pp at the bottom of the map, some pp effects(with according colors) had be welcome in the whole volcano to materialize the heat effect.
        actually it looks to clean and the heat we have to imagine

-there a sort of white mooving smog or clouds at the top, it dont make really sence to me as we re in a volcano ...how can a lateral wind be constant there? +.+

-i saw some untextured walls but as it s a beta it s quite normal

-here are some bad alignements and junctions + the flames down the lava flow are not centred

-i m not a big fan of ur lava material, it looks a lil overstratched and low res + some visible junctions line + it s really weird how the lava flow "comes out" of thoses rocks

-the lighting: here s my main concern with ur map i think the lighting absolutly not deserve it, it s lacking contrasts and imo colors,power & radius of ur lightpoints are often weird
        here s a good example: blue lamp give violet light + yellow one gives white one + the blue lamp should casts a sweet light on a small radius, urs impact all around like a piece of uranium...

in fact with such a volcano and thoses sea of lava the main color had to be red/orangish (a red skylight with a small value can do the trick, dont set it to high because it will kill the contrasts light/darkness + the shadows)
        the whole map should be impacted by the lava color, here at the bottom u did it nicely

if the main color is red/orange u can get nice color contrasts with ur blue lamps (by reducing their radius and their intensity too of course) here on this pict u can see that ur lava casts no reflection no light and absolutly not impact what s around...i worked in a foundry and i can promise to u that even only 1 marmitton of metal in fusion casts light and reflection like the hell itself!...(same too big blue/violet impact)

i hope this can help a lil, it s a nice start, keep up the good work

Comment

Cool! Looks like a sick mix of DM-Liandri from UT and DM-Inferno from UT2004. Going to download it tomorrow and will give it a try the next days. Pretty tired right now and my connection keeps crashing (whysoever).

There's just one point I can tell from the screenshots that you would have to improve yet to make this map look really awesome (it's pretty close to it):
          The lava looks pink, probably due to a post processing volume, am I right? It seems as if it would have some "blue filter" on it that makes the lava appear pink and the lighting doesn't seem to fit because of this. Maybe giving the lights more red and orange colours or changing some properties the post processing volume to get an "orange filter" could help to improve the look?

Comment

lol...me again i forgot to post thoses two ones^^

here thoses tiles are one sized textured only and what the hell are they doing here?

...and here a last example of weird lighting, lot of light in this "room" but where is this yellow light coming from? no red/orange light seem to comes out of thoses lamps...

...boyah!

Comment

It looks like the 'post processing' volume isn't working in your screenshots. It should be thick with orange and red like the screenshots I posted.

Do you know what might have caused it to fail? I'll contact homes and start the investigation.

Thanks for the all the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                Cool! Looks like a sick mix of DM-Liandri from UT and DM-Inferno from UT2004. Going to download it tomorrow and will give it a try the next days. Pretty tired right now and my connection keeps crashing (whysoever).

There's just one point I can tell from the screenshots that you would have to improve yet to make this map look really awesome (it's pretty close to it):
                The lava looks pink, probably due to a post processing volume, am I right? It seems as if it would have some "blue filter" on it that makes the lava appear pink and the lighting doesn't seem to fit because of this. Maybe giving the lights more red and orange colours or changing some properties the post processing volume to get an "orange filter" could help to improve the look?
                lol...i told me the same but i just tryed it, it s pink on the picts only

Edit:damnit!... i just realise that i m using the color tweaking from G100ping....could be why my picts dont show the same...ops

Comment

Originally posted by bobb-E View Post
                  It looks like the 'post processing' volume isn't working in your screenshots. It should be thick with orange and red like the screenshots I posted.

Do you know what might have caused it to fail? I'll contact homes and start the investigation.

Thanks for the all the feedback.
                  It's easy to explain: Those "filters" don't work when you have bloom and distance blur disabled and most players have it disabled since it's way too blurry and especially in a fast paced shooter like Ut where you have to see your enemies all the time it's annoying. Since there is an option to disable it, people do it to "gain an advantage" over the others who use it to just to see better.
                  That's why you should work more on the lighting aspects Blitz mentioned in his above posts. If you can fix this then the map will also look better with the post processing effect

EDIT: No, Blitz. The color tweaking does not affect this. It would actually improve the look of such maps, see Crazy's DM-Cipe. The colors are truly Unreal, like in the first Unreal game. This blew me away into a wave of nostalgia and it made me want to shoot some Skaarjs with my ASMD from the top of the Sunspire into the lava and exploring the huge landscapes again. That was truly an awesome game - UT<Unreal! It's the special post processing effect that gets automatically disabled if you have distance blur and bloom disabled.
                  Example: With these two effects enabled, Downtown gets a blue look, without it it's just grey, boring looking and dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                    ...PP...
                    thx for explanations mate

Comment

Oh wow, you're right. If someone disables 'bloom and depth of field' the map looks atrocious. I'll get the lighting to look better for people who have this turned off.

Comment

@ bobb-E, if you don't mind, once I'm able to, is it alright to port your map to PS3's version of UT3? By the way, nice looking map.

Comment

I tested your map and is it fresh to see a new form of mappin it reminds someway to dm-inferno in ut2k4 but with a new twist which is it a good thing. I suscribe all what Blitz said with light lightning overall is not very well executed ( is it still a beta ). this map is interestin mate

Comment

@Unreal4Eva: Oh yeah if you can port it to PS3 go ahead. I was going to wait till the full release version but I might do it earlier than that to get more testers.

@DarkSonny07: I'm glad you like the design =) I wanted to do something new but I also really liked the map designs of 2k4 and tried to incorporate that. This is the first beta release and I'll put up another one next week with the lighting fixes and more detailing.

I'm also trying to figure out what to do for players who die and end up getting below the lava level when it raises. I want it to feel like they're submerged in magma but now all you see is a giant square of lava going up and down.

Comment

oh and Blitz! thanks again for the treasure trove of critiques. I'm hoping to get them all fixed by next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X