• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VCTF-Radiation

Name: VCTF-Radiation
    Version: [Gamma]
    Compatibility: 2.1, Latest Patch. PC.
    Description: Concept[see .ini]. East & West points built for flag runs and closer combat skill. North & South built for semi-spam to please the masses, VH's,Spawn Protection Houses.
    Comments: Some Easter Eggs
    Screenshot:

Credits: A few DoS Members for testing and suggestions.
    Homepage: filefront- TKBS
    Download: http://www.filefront.com/17755430/VCTF-Radiation.rar

(server currently under maintenance so a d/l mirror is unavailable for a short time)

Hmmm lighting seems low very plus everything looks a mess rofl but I'll give it a try.

Also is this map complete?

Comment

Thanks for the total lack of support, feedback, and for the single fleeting comment by 'Zerglings' that not only makes no sense but lets face it, is a pointless and ****ty comment awsel.

play it
      consider the concept
      make constructive criticisms - things that would actually help not just your personal moronic opinions based on totally unsubstantiated claims about lighting that bare no relevance unless you actually play around with your own personal settings after having tried the map at least once.

Questions like "is it final"- you can answer yourself since it is in the BETA THREAD WTF DO YOU THINK?

oh and don't forget since no-one seems to care about VCTF - making comments about looks is pointless
      i prefer FPS over looks, but all my maps have an _SE (realistic/ fancy lighting view) and a well balanced FPS/ quality version.

If you want a pretty picture try Goose, Semionov, Picasso or Degas etc
      It's called Unreal - not Real

Comment

Originally posted by TKBS View Post
        Thanks for the total lack of support, feedback, and for the single fleeting comment by 'Zerglings' that not only makes no sense but lets face it, is a pointless and ****ty comment awsel.

play it
        consider the concept
        make constructive criticisms - things that would actually help not just your personal moronic opinions based on totally unsubstantiated claims about lighting that bare no relevance unless you actually play around with your own personal settings after having tried the map at least once.

Questions like "is it final"- you can answer yourself since it is in the BETA THREAD WTF DO YOU THINK?

oh and don't forget since no-one seems to care about VCTF - making comments about looks is pointless
        i prefer FPS over looks, but all my maps have an _SE (realistic/ fancy lighting view) and a well balanced FPS/ quality version.

If you want a pretty picture try Goose, Semionov, Picasso or Degas etc
        It's called Unreal - not Real
        not sure that this kind of reply is the best way to motivate peeps to try ur map mate
        i will try to find some minutes to test it, forums are not very active so u cant expect a rain of comments after only three days
        ...oh if i want a pretty picture, i ll probably not choose a picasso one....not so real

Comment

i agree Blitz
          sorry for the harsh tone but it sucks when people have all these skills/ abilities and they do not share . i ask a few people some questions and get ridiculous responses that are no help at all- then someone always turns around and makes a pointless comment- it bugs me
          and i don't know many artists or art

i do also appreciate anyone that makes any input/ effort to help.
          just saying something "is ****" or "a mess" doesn't help at all.
          but saying - "this is ****, here's why, and here's something to try that might make it better" is usefull

edit: the map has changed since this (using different lighting, i haven't tested for FPS drops yet, but the file size is bigger)

Comment

np mate

ok i just have test it and i m not a VCTF addict so i ll comment later on the "gameplay"

first the map have potential and some ideas are very interressant

though imo u ll have to change somevery important points to push the map on a more "conventionnal mapping"

some ideas & observations:

lighting: the overall lighting looks very sad: not enough contrasts & too much colors
            -try to set a skylight to get the darkests areas enlighted enough to be visible (set it between 0.15 and 0.3 depending of the brightess of the choosed color)
            -add a light point at each light source (lamps/neons/crystals...) & addapt/set its radius
            -addapt the light points to each source (color/intensity/radius)
            this way u ll be abble to have contrasts and shadows
            -some areas are enlighted with colors that seem to have no source( the green in thoses lil respawn structures)

textures/materials:
            -i m not a fan of mixing too much styles (necris/industrial/asiatic...) and the map will have a deeper athmosphere if u try to give it a theme
            -some textures are overscaled and this drives to an awfull result when u watch em too close( low res)

S Meshes:
            -some SM are overscaled and their material look "overstretched" try to always overscale the whole mesh(x+y+z or x+y+2z or x+1.5y+1.5z.....but never x+30y+z...for example)
            -some SM are floating in the air (lot of wood ways in your map), i mean they have no supports (pillars or so)..try to always use reallistic constructions (it s unreal ok but it s not in the space and with the gravity thoses woods had just fallen down on the ground )
            -some SM are "entering in some others"

there s a problem when u go under the surface of the green goo/water :a weird glitch + no transparence when u watch the barrels

if u need picts to understand some of my observations ...just ask
            thx for ur work , i hope this can help a lil

Comment

wow
              Thanks very much for the comments-

I think you have said a few things other people have said-(about lights), so you should be impressed with the changes i have made (like i said it is already better than this version you have seen)

Main changes are-

1.The radius of the green now only just touches the doors of the spawn houses-
              no green inside anymore- so now it makes sense
              [it took alot of trying different sizes, colours and brightness]
              2.Lighting Total
              2 sky lights
              1 directional light
              2 spotlights
              and too many to count light bulbs

3. i scaled down the floor materials by approx 1/3rd,
              i personally think the bricks are fine
              but if you think differently please be specific about which bits are 'overscaled'

4. In previous mapping i have made supports and static meshes to support exactly what you are talking about (no-one noticed lol)
              i totally agree with you and i will make this better, but for now these really do not bother me.

i will also make sure no wood is overlapping - ill probably just redo them
              so thank you for pointing that out

Someone before said- "you fall into void when you die in goo"
              TBH i dont care what happens to people when they die- but if you have a method or way to make this better i would like to know

i will double check all my static meshes
              As for the rest of your comments
              Thank you very much - i will always consider them and implement them
              **i do understand it is difficult for most people to enjoy VCTF

Comment

Alright then m8 I'll give her a try then and I'll be back to comment and thansk for nice comment as well.

Another thing m8 finished maps have been placed in the beta area in the past.

I forgot I downloaded this last week it's been sitting on my HDD. rofl

Comment

some quick tips.

- replace one hug green point light with couple of smaler ones.
                  - make green light more yellowish and decrease saturation a bit
                  - Try adding simple post process effect. You can find it somewhere in World Properties (i don't remember now where it is exactly.) In post process tab try changing "Highlights" to something under 1.0 and midtones to something above 1.0

Comment

Really nice to see another comment on here

@ Farteuss
                    1. I originally had individual green lights, and i must admit it's a tough call deciding which is better.

After ensuring that the radius and glow is right - its really nice to have one spot light doing the work, but i suppose individual lighting allows me to do other things

2.i did not change the colour but the De-Saturation works beautifully
                    Thank you very much for suggesting this: adding a desaturation between 1.75 - 2.463 enhances the visuals so much - its Epic.
                    Putting this on Vivid in your game settings now looks spectacular, not only the lights, but now the rocks look and feel like they should do in that environment.Much better

This is Vivid in-game settings

A truly awesome tip

3.Upon completion of maps i usually do various test with PP volumes and/ or default PP settings in game
                    I think this map has potential to have 2- 3 different areas of PP- we shall see.

Ok... so my concept/ geometry is 85% [changes will be based on players opinions, if any]
                    The looks/ visuals are at 80% aswel, the final 20% will be hard grafting changing textures for lighting, a little scaling and some re-alignments due to changes.
                    This is no problem, just time and getting the right look.

The problems i have are:
                    [SOLVED]
                    1. i cannot get a custom decal to work.
                    i use photoshop v.11, create a new file with 1024X512 and 72 pixel resolution and set the background to Transparency.
                    I place my custom decal (design, picture etc) onto this new file so i see just the picture and the checker board/ transparent background screen. Good stuff
                    i save it and load it into UT3 and it has a white background
                    - i check my channels in photoshop and it has r,g,b, alpha channel etc
                    -on import into UT3 i set modulate and unlit etc, i have also tried every other setting
                    but the background is always white
                    i have tried opacity, o masks etc and i still fail.
                    ------
                    EDIT:Sky issue solved
                    ------

BUMP:Still cannot fix this???-How to make a Static mesh disappear? (for some reason only the collision changes)***Bump

Many thanks for the comments, i haven't changed the beta yet because of these issues

Comment

Hey dude,

VCTF isn't the most popular game mode but don't worry, some still play. It's a fact that quality feedback is a rarity these days, even in DM, the most played game type, there isn't much so don't give up dude. I don't play VCTF often so I can't really help on that game type in particular. I think that few tips / advices on other things will help a bit

Skydome :

A little explanation about your material that doesn't apply well on the skydome, you must know that depending on the mesh you use, the material will apply itself in a different way.

You must use the proper mesh or else you will obtain a bad result like a stretched material, or the center of the skydome will look like materials fragments (dunno how to explain it otherwise) & such.

Epic include different skydome, just put them one by one & apply your material on it until it look fine. It's a matter of trial & error Titan pack as also a skydome mesh, but I'm not 100% sure ?

Lighting :

The last pics look better indeed, but it would look even better if you lower your general lighting, you will obtain more contrast, better atmosphere.

Vivid / Intense & such rendering mode aren't the way to make your map look good. It's good only for yourself but since you post the map on public server, make sure your map look like you want it in default mode, which is the best render of the bunch & the one that is the most used.

Materials :

I suggest you scale your floor materials much more. I mean, the tiling is so small that all tiles look like 5 times the players size & 2 times the fence size. By doing this, the materials won't look that much stretched / oversizes. The only prob is that you will see tiling & to brake the tiling you must use different materials &/or use various height level to cut the floor in section.

GL

Comment

Thanks very much steve
                        Pro feedback from you as always

Current state of affairs:
                        Myself and a few others are currently battling to keep VCTF alive by catering for the experienced and prof's who know about map editing - good team play - etc etc... whilst simultaneously trying to keep players (noobs i suppose they are called) flocking to the servers

the battle between spam (easy to pick up easy to download maps) and experience (pro maps, team play maps- advanced visuals and functions/ routes maps) for map choices is making the future of UT3 diffficult to predict in a positive light

**As previously mentioned * and expected... the FPS drops have gone from a whopping 75 FPS - 100+ down to approx 30- 60 FPS... in certain areas

FPS/ looks, due to current affairs:
                        IT (unfortunately) is not worth sacrificing FPS for visuals when those who appreciate will not even play it-

Personally all of the comments so far have improved the look which is great for me- but not so great is someone joins vctf and sees a large file size with only Average FPS and has to learn how to play the map because they do not or are not aware of D/L' ing first etc.

A solution/ happy medium:
                        By removing my directional lighting i will achieve my high FPS again but lose some visuals-- i am hoping that a combination of Steve's comment (contrast and individuals) and Farteuss's advice (De-saturation) will be able to make up for this visual loss and keep my FPS

A potential fix for my sky....[?]
                        i will try the sky dome variations (i do have the option of a large static mesh or simple large building block// bsp with my sky material- although it would be flat , you cannot access the sky anyway so i might get away with it)

Floor :
                        i really don't like tiling and small textures/ especially not with this map.

I have been working on textures for a while (adding themed areas and using combinations of those advanced options) -
                        but my Decals are **top priority

The floor will change eventually, dont worry about that (i have some perfect ideas for this and a few textures made to alleviate the motion sickness of repetitive small tiling- yellow and black lines no go areas- broken tiles, .)and again Custom Decals- liek holes, cracks, spills, stains etc- again this leaves me with the Decal problem...

Many Thanks

Comment

Your very welcome dude

As long as it help you a bit, it's fine with me

For FPS (good or bad), may things affect it. Few things can be done to help you out gain some if your FPS is to low. While you can't make miracle, you have some options. This is a quick list :

1 - I strongly advise you to follow that optimizing tut. It's the most complete optimizing tut I'm aware of
                          2 - Enable lightmap lighting on all capable meshes instead of relying on vertex lighting. You will gain FPS & use less memory (hence a smaller file size). Check my tut to know what to do
                          3 - Cull meshes the most you can by starting by the biggest one since they're the most expensive one resource wise. Use CullDistanceVolume or individual culling on each meshe or a group of meshes. If your map doesn't have much meshes (like 1000-2000), then I suggest you use individual value.

When you will be finished with this rather extensives tasks, you will obtain better FPS, consume less resources & use a smaller file size

I'm surprise your Directional light cause you problem ? I use many of them in my 2 latest WIP CTF maps + use dynamics objects & I never go below 70 FPS with my 3 year old pc ? It's very important to disable functions that aren't used & drain resources like cast dynamic shadows / cast shadows & such.

Comment

My bad m8 the lightning looks alot better then in the pics can't judge a book by it's cover. The only problem I had was the size of the cap in the center field where cross fire was large problem.

Also the Bots seem to have a problem trying to reach the flags in the games I played.

A waiting for next updated.

Comment

Thanks - im glad you think that
                              Hopefully this next update (maybe by end of week) will look even better.

Crossfire is a result of the layout- yep i agree-this is Good, it forces people who like spam to the centre (rocket pickups)
                              and allows people who like 'teamplay' to take the alternate routes.

**If anyone else reads this-- the bots are perfect!!!
                              See the screen shot
                              i have seen bots take the flag, score flags etc- best bot pathing i have ever done tbh

i dont understand why yours dont take flag-- but then again i play on inhuman/ godlike

Many thanks for taking the time to play and comment.

Comment

Working...
                              X