• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-SpaceOpera

Name: DM-SpaceOpera
    Version: 0.9a
    Compatibility: Titan Pack

Description:
    Cette arène étais à l'origine une station spatiale de commerce et de production itinérante. C'est lors de la création du système de voyages hyperespace que cette station s'est vue désertée.

Comments:

Okay, this is my third map. I post it into the Beta section because i think there is a LOT of thing to say and to fix in this map !

It's a really tiny map but I want to keep it like that because it makes the game more 'berzerk' !

I want to know what do you guys think about the gameplay.

All feedbacks are welcome. Thanks a lot !

Screenshot:

Download:
    [FTP]PC DOwnload

Looks like some interesting work. I'll have a look and get back to you if I have any observations. However I would really appreciate if you would not use png for images, it really wastes bandwidth, an image shouldn't be over 100kb imo.

Thanks for your work

Comment

Here it is ! No exactly to 100kb but around 150

Comment

Thanks for updating your pics, much appreciated. They still look good, you can just see them faster now

I like that fact you've tried lots of things in this level and seem very enthusiastic with the editor.

However

The layout feels very cluttered, in particular the many over sized crates (LT_Cratebox02). The use of HU assets didn't work for me. The techno lights and ghetto industrial theme are not blended well imo.

I think flow is really lacking. I like to think that each area should have at least 3 other option in mobility. The HOLP maps really focus on this, well worth studying these.

I appreciate your using alot of kismet in your level and this can be a great tool to bring your level to life. You get high marks for trying lots of thing. However some of your effects have little or no underpinning story or context. This make it look cheap.

Alot of people say that the invis is a bad idea. It can work but it needs to fit into a compelling theme imo. The redeemer is over powered and does not fit such a cramped level. You have a better than 95% change you'll kill your self with it, but if MAD sounds like a good idea then keep it.

The jumps boots have you hitting your head form any place in the level. But you have it on a higher platform making this even more likely. They should be on the floor imo, in an area that articulates many opportunities to use it, this increases flow of your level.

The goo area seems out of place and the sudden compactor shaft after you pick up the keg just gets annoying. The power up should be in a place that balances risk with reward.

The Udamage Advert is overshadowed by all the other brightly colored panels making it near invisible. Also There are too many imo. I would opt for one or two but larger and more prominent.

Trip hazard on the udamage platform, and walkway to flack cannon

Thats the major stuff. Good luck with it and thanks for your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by Achernar View Post
          I like that fact you've tried lots of things in this level and seem very enthusiastic with the editor.
          It's exactly my feelings.

However

The layout feels very cluttered, in particular the many over sized crates (LT_Cratebox02). The use of HU assets didn't work for me. The techno lights and ghetto industrial theme are not blended well imo.
          Yes, i know, i love the two themes, industrial ghetto & techno lights ( Heatray ) but i'm not a designer so i assume that the mix of theme is not so good =/

I think flow is really lacking. I like to think that each area should have at least 3 other option in mobility. The HOLP maps really focus on this, well worth studying these.
          Sorry HOLP ??
          I see, it's the 'flak canon' area & the little corridor you're talking about ?
          I presumed theses areas was too small ( I mean unplayable small )

I appreciate your using alot of kismet in your level and this can be a great tool to bring your level to life. You get high marks for trying lots of thing. However some of your effects have little or no underpinning story or context. This make it look cheap.
          That's right, i need practice so i used the kismet for some useless and not so funny things ( the compactor in the goo area or the robots )

Alot of people say that the invis is a bad idea. It can work but it needs to fit into a compelling theme imo. The redeemer is over powered and does not fit such a cramped level. You have a better than 95% change you'll kill your self with it, but if MAD sounds like a good idea then keep it.
          Okay, Invis & Redeemer has no place in this map ( and after some time to play my map i REALLY agree )

The jumps boots have you hitting your head form any place in the level. But you have it on a higher platform making this even more likely. They should be on the floor imo, in an area that articulates many opportunities to use it, this increases flow of your level.
          Ok, good tip you gave to me ! At first, the jump boots was to make the invis zone accessible but you're right it's more an trap than a boost in this context.

The goo area seems out of place and the sudden compactor shaft after you pick up the keg just gets annoying. The power up should be in a place that balances risk with reward.
          Well, the compactor is useless, but the Keg is dangerous to get because there is only one direction to get out. I thought that was a 'risk with reward' ?

The Udamage Advert is overshadowed by all the other brightly colored panels making it near invisible. Also There are too many imo. I would opt for one or two but larger and more prominent.
          You're right, in the eyes of the player there is too many lights for the size of the map.

Okay so :
          - Too many lights, I will make dirty, industrial ghetto theme only.
          - Thinking in 'flow' when you're making maps.
          - Tiny maps : no redeemer ( overpowered )

I'm thinking in theses modifications :
          - Enlarging the corridor with the link gun, make a larger room with Z axis zones to link with the sniper zone
          - the compactor will be removed ( make it static like others )
          - Remove the redeemer (overpowered) , invisible boost (no place here), jump boosts ( not for tiny maps )

Trip hazard on the udamage platform, and walkway to flack cannon

Thats the major stuff. Good luck with it and thanks for your efforts.
          Thanks to you for your constructive post.
          I will work on the v2 and post it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Naarshakta View Post
            es, i know, i love the two themes, industrial ghetto & techno lights ( Heatray ) but i'm not a designer so i assume that the mix of theme is not so good =/
            Arh yes Heat Ray, but that is more a ghetto with a few techno signs. Your area is overwhelmed with strong colour and lights imo. So its fine to blend the themes just need to get the balance right.

Sorry HOLP ??
            I see, it's the 'flak canon' area & the little corridor you're talking about ?
            I presumed theses areas was too small ( I mean unplayable small )
            HOLP stands for Hardcore Old school Low Poly These are mainly BSP levels, striped back to core game-play. I particularly like DM-Flustered, it has great flow, and good placement of jump boots . When shelling out a level in BSP that when you find the fun in the layout, the meshing on top is just deco to enhance the theme.

I found may areas felt like RCR or Room, Corridor, Room. More articulation is needed imo.

Some tutorials on level design that might help:
            Horences Gameplay basics

Bob Chamots 10 principal Has CTF focus but still applicable.

Well, the compactor is useless, but the Keg is dangerous to get because there is only one direction to get out. I thought that was a 'risk with reward' ?
            Yeah thats true, although I think you tease the player by alluding that you can jump up and on to the next level when its just a dead end.

You are making good progress and look froward to your next release. Keep it up

Comment

Working...
            X