Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WIP - Frenchies map

Hi everyone

We are 2 friends making our first UT3 map, and we need your help !

This is an alpha release of our map, actually we just want it to be playable with a good flow, so that's why we ask for some feedback

Name : not yet
    Version : alpha final

Screenshot :

see below

Download : DM-Map01v12

This is a small map actually intended to be played by 2/3 players. Have fun !

héhé, looks like u have an interressant layout here, will try it asap

salut et bienvenu(s) sur le forum , "frenchies map"...mdr

Comment

Hi dudes & welcome on Epic

First time in my UT years I see a map name "Frenchies" LOL

I'm French Canadian so I found it funny

Anyway, will try it out & see if I can come up with something.

Comment

the screenshots look like you've got some nice geometry happening. If I find anything I get back to ya.

Comment

Is this map posted on another forum? like BU, or...?

Actually, the name is DM-Map01v3. French speakers can go here.

The latest update (1.3) can be downloaded here.
          (or go the the first post^^)

First look : don't use the invisiblty pickup. Never.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your welcome.
            Yes we are funny frenchies and we love black and white squares on white and black other squares.

Useless post, but there is a new version of the map. Overwrite the old file if you already downloaded the file !

Download link unchanged, see first post.

EDIT : Yes the map is posted on french forum too.

Comment

Had a match & I can say that yes indeed play this map with 4 players max

I found most items placement rather ok but for such a small map, 2 powerups is imho to much & in this case, the invisibility don't fit.

I can suggest to place the udamage there instead of the invisibility & add the vest instead of the actual udamage spot.

The map is also a bit to open & the stinger placement have to much advantage. I would tend to place at the lower level & move the flak at the mid level.

In all, the layout is cool but need some pillars to provide some hide / protection spots

This is a 5 mins match so I know it's not a lot but it's all the time that I had.

Comment

Had a few matches and here are some thoughts:

-I agree about the invis (its a hard one to make fit well in the level, dm-katami isnt too bad though)
                -There needs to be more risk /reward tension for the high value pickups.
                -The curved stair case near the thigh pad side is too cramped.
                -I would have liked more Z-axis but that would require some increase corridor width to say 384 and stretching the level out abit. However on the other side keeping the action tight is the most valuable. So it can be tricky to get right.

Good luck with it.

Comment

Hi folks !

First, thanks for your feedback, it helped us a lot.

After some tests and modifications, we made a new version of the map.
                  There is still a basic botpathing so you can test it !

You can find the download link on the first post.

Comment

Hi again !

So here we are, coming along with a new version : Alpha Final !

Download on the first post.

We tried a lot of different things, according to feedback and our own feeling !

The result is there, this is the 12th version and even if it may have been better, we are not going to make big changes (items placement, etc ...).
                    So if there is something that hurts you, just let us know !

Anyway we have to tackle 2 problems :

1°/ We would like bots to shoot at a trigger when the pickup is available, then go seeking this pickup.

2°/ The trigger have a special material, it starts to pulse when the pickup is available, but when playing online, it works only on the server side. We tried to check the "bClientSideOnly" property, it solves some problems but not the whole thing.

Thanks We are coming back after a few sketches !

Comment

Originally posted by -TweaK- View Post
                      The trigger have a special material, it starts to pulse when the pickup is available, but when playing online, it works only on the server side. We tried to check the "bClientSideOnly" property, it solves some problems but not the whole thing.
                      I suppose you have use a "material instance param" for that stuff, if so, it's a well know issue, in my knowledge, there is no way to fix that, but if someone have found how fix that, I will be happy to know too.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info.

I used a Material instance param, yes. Actually, the material state is triggered by a Level Startup so it is not pulsing at the beginning of the game. By activating the option bClientSideOnly on that event, it worked perfectly.

I'm gonna try to solve this but I'm not a developper and I do expect it'll require some Uscript.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info.
                          I used a Material instance param, yes. Actually, the material state is triggered by a Level Startup so it is not pulsing at the beginning of the game. By activating the option bClientSideOnly on that event, it worked perfectly.
                          I'm gonna try to solve this but I'm not a developper and I do expect it'll require some Uscript.
                          Assuming you have used a Mover for your shooting trigger,
                          there is a trick to get ride of the material instance param online issue in your case:

Basically, you can create your square mover button with one face with the pulsating material, and the opposite face with the material you have choose when it is no active.

And so, when the button is no active, you see the defaut material, and when it is available, make rotatating instantanously of 180 degrees the shoot button via matinee, you see the pulsating one.

It should works.

Comment

1°/ We would like bots to shoot at a trigger when the pickup is available, then go seeking this pickup.
                            this is basically how make the bot shoot your trigger button (tested) :

[screenshot]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2641/sanstitre1copiev.png[/screenshot]

The trigger volume need to be close to the button, on the botpathing so it can be activated when bot run on the way.
                            Of course, you would have to add some stuffs to allow/disallow this sequence according to the powerup status change in your kismet.

Comment

Hi everyone !

Thank you for your support, it looks like you were right !

I've modified the trigger and it worked online, and the AI kismet is working properly too : bots are shooting at the trigger and they try to catch the Udamage.

Oh yeah !

Comment

Working...
                              X