Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys for the feedback / comments, when I did this project I had alot of time off since I got laid off from my old job, but I'll see about addressing these issues when I do have spare time because I'm working 40 hours a week now, that's what happens with older mappers

I guess I'll have to think about where to place the flags seperatley or keep them in one spot, it seems like people like both...

Comment

So last night I managed to fix the collision for the arches where the player starts are. Also assigned physical materials to the wooden planks as well as the stone pillars. I will also remove the extra link ammo because originally I had it for warfare and it didnt work out too well. Other than that I really want to keep both flags in one central location for balance purposes.

Comment

Played it.

@ spawnpoints, roofs are pitch black, actually the whole map could use some more brightness, including the areas where the sun shines through the broken roof

There's pretty much no Z-axis at all and the layout is extremely simplistic (fair enough, you don't want to spend a lot of time finding the place where you can turn in Skulls), but the lack of Z-axis gameplay for me makes it well, not so fun to play.

I'm not much of a Greed player myself so I don't know if it's a good or bad idea to have 3 powerups close to eachother.

Architecture wise, looks good. I don't know how much of the ideas you've gotten from GoW so I won't go deeper than that. I did notice some flickering meshes (one wooden plank in the spawning room, I think), a bunch of planks pretty much floating above the floor somewhere in the middle area and finally a gap in the roof that showed some of the orange sky (I'm pretty sure it wasn't your intention to have a gap there as all other roof holes in the map are cleverly made with broken ceiling while the gap I'm referring to isn't).

Comment

Yes I know there's not much z-axis gameplay because I wanted it to be a likeness of the original GOW map and challenge myself to make it work as a greed map as best I could. I pretty much duplicated the original GOW map, every mesh is and exact location to the original and wanted to make it somehow work with UT3. Sorry if you guys don't like the way it is, but not everyone can be satisfied. All I can do is take all incoming comments / suggestions and work with it, and fix the obvious glitches / bugs. I think the roofs were meant to be pitch black but if you think they need lighting then that's fine, as well as the overall map, but again it was copied over from the GOW editor.

Comment

Regarding the flag placement, I think they should be in a fair place. But you can place them farther back in the map on the opposite sides from where the teams spawn. That would make it just as fair as a central location.

I agree with Thrallala, that the map could use more lighting. My theory is if the map is too dark, they can't see the details of the meshes and materials. This isn't Doom.

Comment

Dark maps on Vivid quickly become bright maps on Default or Intense.
              In fact its like switching from night to day on some levels.
              I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Did you read my post about teleporting the flag capturers back into there base? It works real good - I tested it!

Comment

Originally posted by gargorias View Post
                Dark maps on Vivid quickly become bright maps on Default or Intense.
                In fact its like switching from night to day on some levels.
                I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Did you read my post about teleporting the flag capturers back into there base? It works real good - I tested it!
                Yeah I have my post processing on intense so the map is bright to me. I guess I shoulda mentioned that you must play it on intense settings to have it bright enough, but everyone is different I guess. And again, the map is not meant to be played as regular CTF, thats why I added the GRD prefix to the map. I mean did anyone even look at the screenshots? There's plenty of lighting!

Comment

That's true the PP settings do have a substantial effect on lighting effects as do all PP effects, it puts us mappers in a difficult situation IMO, we need to delicately tweak the engine so that things work well on a majority of varied settings not just the settings we use, - easier said than done but .....

Here's what i do on my maps, i have a medium size LAN so i test my work on several machines all with different hardware / settings / etc. and try to find what looks good on 'average' rather than singling out a single machine with specific settings. I imagine the developers of the engine probably do something similar but much more rigorous.

Comment

Yeah so far I've taken out extra link ammo, brightened up the ceilings a little at the spawn points, fixed the arch collisions at spawn points too, added physical materials to the wood meshes and pillar meshes too. I moved some of the powerups around near the top where the cap point is as well. Will probably release beta 2 this weekend.

Comment

*bump* because beta 2 is ready! See 1st post for new download and changes.

Comment

Originally posted by »TheHitMan« View Post
                        *bump* because beta 2 is ready! See 1st post for new download and changes.
                        Note: The "MapName" in your .ini file doesn't have the correct map name, this will need to be changed by someone before the map is playable.

Played a round and I do like the changes, but I think the map can use more.

Originally posted by Odedge View Post

1. Collision for stuff on the floor really needs tweaking. To many times we (bots and I) are getting stuck and caught on assorted stuff on the floor.
                        2. There seems to be a lot of wasted space near the flag area. You might want push the skull back more to make better use of the space?
                        3. I think there needs to be an second spawn for each team, a little closer to the flag (where those double doors are located?). There still needs to be a decent weapon near there. Right now, if one team get's pushed back, they have little chance at breaking out because you only spawn with the enforcer. I saw the bots doing this to some degree from time to time.
                        4. Add proper footstep sounds to the materials/meshes.
                        5. Add some ambient sounds.

For what it's worth, I think the map should have "GRD" as a prefix.

Comment

Huh? I thought I fixed the mapname to have the friendly correct map name cause I tested it before I uploaded it. But in any case I think this re-construction of this GOW map is quite fail, because no matter what gametype I try it as, it just is not balanced.

Comment

Working...
                          X