Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DM-Stormdrain Beta

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    DM-Stormdrain Beta

    Ok it has been a long time in waiting (I hope :P) but here it finally is. Please note I am releasing early and am fully away of some issues to mention some:
    - Collision boxes are not fully done so there will be some issues
    - Sounds are not fully done, many are just rushed
    - No lightning / weather effects on skydome. I still need to create a material for this
    - Possibly might exchange rain cubes for particle emitters if I can create one that is GPU friendly.
    - Rain effects attempts on meshes at side - only got the current ones as an example, will work on those.
    - Also there may be some meshing issues such as mis-alignment, probably due to my resizing of the map early on in the entire mapping process. If you see anything like this feel free to point it out as it only makes it easier for me to correct.

    Anyway down to the officials:

    Name: DM-Stormdrain
    Version: Beta 1.0
    Compatibility: Latest
    Description: Gun smoke and death aren't the only things you will smell here. (the default one from UT2004 - any new suggestions are welcome, I am drawing a blank)
    Comments: Remake/interpretation of dm-Mixer from UT2004 with an industrial theme to it. Includes weather and lightning effects.
    Screenshot:
    [SHOT]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/8588/screenshot00033.png[/SHOT][SHOT]http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/2797/screenshot00034j.png[/SHOT][SHOT]http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/4484/screenshot00035.png[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1623/screenshot00036.png[/SHOT][SHOT]http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/4886/screenshot00037l.png[/SHOT]

    Credits: ME - also the original author Sidney 'Clawfist' Rauchberger, Epic for the editor and game
    Download:
    Filefront Download

    C & C appreciated and more importantly required. I can only judge my own work so far, so need input from others to steer it in the right direction.

    #2
    So here it is

    Love the pics, the PP make the look **** nicer the WIP thread !

    Reading the "to do list", you still have plenty of things to do. Will try asap m8

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by stevelois View Post
      So here it is

      Love the pics, the PP make the look **** nicer the the WIP thread !

      Reading the "to do list", you still have plenty of things to do. Will try asap m8
      Yeah there are still things to do but there is no doubt, it is definately at a playable level and I really wanted to get it out asap so people can test it. I have played a few times - definately a good laugh lol.

      Comment


        #4
        well the lighting in the pics looks NICE!! ...downloading...

        Comment


          #5
          hey, finally out, i'll give it a try asap !

          the original author is : Sidney 'Clawfist' Rauchberger

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
            hey, finally out, i'll give it a try asap !

            the original author is : Sidney 'Clawfist' Rauchberger
            Thanks - I have put his name in now

            Comment


              #7
              I have make a quick match on it,

              first, the overall map is so well made (meshing, lighing...), the ambient with music and storm sounds is really immersive

              Items placement work for me, I have just notice the bots are concentrated near the shield belt...

              My main complaint will be the flash light, very well made, but too often, it's difficult to play and ruin a bit the gameplay imo, I would put it less often..

              The other thing is the optimisation, since it's a beta, I will wait to see if you will work on that for final (but I'm sure you will !)

              a little detail :
              [screenshot]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7018/mixer01.jpg[/screenshot]
              the 2 plane mesh for the water can be see easily because of the no seemless effect, I suggest to create just one mesh to fix that

              gj so far

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                I have make a quick match on it,

                first, the overall map is so well made (meshing, lighing...), the ambient with music and storm sounds is really immersive

                Items placement work for me, I have just notice the bots are concentrated near the shield belt...

                My main complaint will be the flash light, very well made, but too often, it's difficult to play and ruin a bit the gameplay imo, I would put it less often..

                The other thing is the optimisation, since it's a beta, I will wait to see if you will work on that for final (but I'm sure you will !)

                a little detail :
                [screenshot]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7018/mixer01.jpg[/screenshot]
                the 2 plane mesh for the water can be see easily because of the no seemless effect, I suggest to create just one mesh to fix that

                gj so far
                Thanks for the comments. I thought the same about the storm too - I intended to adjust it so that there were less frequent flashes and more far off rumbles. I really quickly did that storm in under an hour, I knew the effect I wanted to create, so I just wanted to give people an idea of what I was going for.

                I will focus on that river area and try and get one mesh to cover the entire area, it was a small niggle of mine as well.

                With regards to the bot issue I didnt notice this too much. It is only really intended for 1-4 players. If you play with more then it can get a bit hectic, and most of them will fight over getting the shield belt lol. I can see what I can do to adjust this - but it is really a chokepoint with 6 entrances so it is intended to get chaotic in that area

                Comment


                  #9
                  Played the map, looks much better than the wip screenshots indeed.

                  However as mentioned, the lightning effects are very annoying! they should propably appear much much less frequent, there should be no earthquake effects from lightning bolts and the sky should not be as clear as it is (it doesn't rain if there are no clouds and there's most certainly not any lightning flashes from a cloudless sky) :P

                  Noticed some overlapping meshes, ill give you a screenshot of that later.

                  Other than that, great remake (haven't played the original though), the meshing is top notch!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Storm affect is way over done to the point of being annoying.

                    There are twp places in the stormdrain that are blocked off that were not blocked off in the original.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                      There are twp places in the stormdrain that are blocked off that were not blocked off in the original.
                      What places are these?

                      Originally posted by Thrallala View Post
                      the sky should not be as clear as it is (it doesn't rain if there are no clouds and there's most certainly not any lightning flashes from a cloudless sky) :P
                      Already mentioned that in the to do list.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Sorry, I just looked at the original.

                        [shot]http://www.fototime.com/33A31D038BF44C4/standard.jpg[/shot]

                        Your map takes a hard 90 degree turn here, in the original there is a subtle bend. So, it threw me for some reason.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          As Sebastian said nearly, reduce the timer interval to one more separate betweeen flash and flash.

                          Another thing when storming occurs i noticed some places where isnt placed any window or open space toward ceiling ( example central square where the shieldbelt is located ), this is; closed spaces with no windows or no open space the flash shouldn't happening or you should not to see any flash storm ...unless the storm flashing is taking place near to an window or open place.

                          Another if were an storm night i saw ( this isnt relevant only i was examinating places XD ) the sky is stared ( with stars ) it should be cloudy and raining ( in the map is raining ) when storm happens it flash clouds color between violet-whiteish and sometimes blueish

                          Scale is fine (an key area when mking good remakes or good maps ) items is ok and the texturing-meshing, keepin in mind those meshes is too overused in many maps, in this ones you got my hat off for you, good job, it appear like "another different map" ( like that ones made byt Sklare XD

                          And I know is an beta so take your time in finishing this great remake if were for ut2k4 it could fit better the industrial theme to play.

                          As said, keep mapping mate!

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Visually, the map is excellent, but when you're playing a match and you run backwards you get caught in the mesh of the walls. I think it would be great if you put volume lock on all the walls with mesh, and on the floor of the tunnel entrance... The the "earthquake" affects the gameplay very much because it is very strong. anyway nice map mate

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by DarkSonny07 View Post
                              As Sebastian said nearly, reduce the timer interval to one more separate betweeen flash and flash.

                              Another thing when storming occurs i noticed some places where isnt placed any window or open space toward ceiling ( example central square where the shieldbelt is located ), this is; closed spaces with no windows or no open space the flash shouldn't happening or you should not to see any flash storm ...unless the storm flashing is taking place near to an window or open place.
                              The method I have used has tried to address this by having different intensities of flash dependent upon location. The map is in general dark so the flash would carry throughout most of the level I would think. I have used this method to optimise space, if I were to use dynamic lights it would require far too much processing and slow down the game too much, although it would give a more realistic look.

                              Also I have altered the timings now so the flash is less frequent.

                              Originally posted by DarkSonny07 View Post
                              Another if were an storm night i saw ( this isnt relevant only i was examinating places XD ) the sky is stared ( with stars ) it should be cloudy and raining ( in the map is raining ) when storm happens it flash clouds color between violet-whiteish and sometimes blueish
                              Already said it is on my to do list. That is just a temporary sky. The actual one will be cloudy with dynamic visuals.

                              Originally posted by DarkSonny07 View Post
                              Scale is fine (an key area when mking good remakes or good maps ) items is ok and the texturing-meshing, keepin in mind those meshes is too overused in many maps, in this ones you got my hat off for you, good job, it appear like "another different map" ( like that ones made byt Sklare XD

                              And I know is an beta so take your time in finishing this great remake if were for ut2k4 it could fit better the industrial theme to play.

                              As said, keep mapping mate!
                              Thanks, yes scale was a very important factor. As I think I mentioned in the WIP I has BSP mapped the entire level, and after I started meshing I disliked the scale so had to manually resize everything.

                              Originally posted by Taffy View Post
                              Your map takes a hard 90 degree turn here, in the original there is a subtle bend. So, it threw me for some reason.
                              I mentioned in the WIP that I would be changing this area. In the original that area was all a mesh and that would have been very difficult to make look correct in my map. I initially started with a bend but changed it for the intersection so I could make it look as though the map environment extends beyond what is playable.

                              Originally posted by NØØb_Zaibot View Post
                              Visually, the map is excellent, but when you're playing a match and you run backwards you get caught in the mesh of the walls. I think it would be great if you put volume lock on all the walls with mesh, and on the floor of the tunnel entrance... The the "earthquake" affects the gameplay very much because it is very strong. anyway nice map mate
                              I have also revise the camera shake. I have not removed it completely as personally I think it adds to the atmosphere. I will explain how the storm feature works, as this will make it easier to explain what I have changed:
                              The storm has 3 levels of thunder / lightning.
                              • There is the very loud overhead thunder which had the camera shake and lightning and thunder were synchronised.
                              • There is medium slightly further away thunder which has no camera shake, has lightning but has a slightly delayed thunder (due to the whole light faster than sound thing)
                              • There is the distant thunder which is just a rumble in the distance with no other effects

                              I have now made it more likely that there will be the distant thunder. There was always an increased chance that it would be this or the medium thunder effects - but now there is a 75% chance that it will just be the distant thunder. Of that 25% chance it will be an overhead lightning there is a 4/7 chance it will be the medium and 3/7 chance it will be loud.

                              The camera shake was previously tied into the actual thunder sound, so stopped once that stopped. I have now made it tied into the lightning flash so it will only shake for <1 second. This should make aiming a lot easier.

                              Also I already said I intended to volume block the entire level. It is already partially done, I just released this to let people have a look at what I had so far, so I fully appreciate that it is not finished. Also I do need to revise the blocking volumes around the tunnel entrances, they are proving to be hard to get correct. If I make them accurate to the mesh then it makes it harder for it to be used. I will probably have to flatten the floor of it so you can clip through the mesh a bit, just to make it easier to get through them.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X