CTF-Facing Worlds 3 BETA 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Facing Worlds 3 BETA 4

FINAL VERSION RELEASED: CTF-Face3 (click to go to FINAL thread)

Name: CTF-Facing Worlds 3
    Version: BETA 4.0
    Compatibility: UT3 is required, nothing else.

Description:
    One asteroid, two towers ... Ten thousand headshots.

A conversion of the awesome map from UT2004: Facing Worlds 3.

Comments:
    After lots of hard work, me and HO0815XX managed to convert the awesome map "CTF-Face3" from UT2004 to UT3.
    We really worked at this map to make the best of it.
    The biggest challenge was the lighting in this map, as the UT3 engine renders lighting much different from the UT2004 engine, and we completely had to rebuild te lighting.
    Because this is a 1 on 1 conversion the lighting might look a bit weird one some points, but we cant fix that [for example: cut-off lights/shadow.]
    There was also a small discussion about the overall map scale: people thought the UT2004 version was to big for the fast paced gameplay of UT3, but we wanted to keep it a 1 on 1 conversion, so we kept the original scale.

Now, finally the BETA is complete, let me know what you think!!
    All feedback is welcome!

Installation:
    Extract files to:
    My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Credits:
    Coreper (me), HO0815XX, stevelois, NickG, Odedge, Sp4der, thalos, Nawrot, 1XTreme.
    And ofcourse Cedric 'Inoxx' Fiorentino and Epic Games for the original UT2004 map.

Changes since BETA 3:
    Fixed incorrect plant collision
    Tweaked lighting

Screenshots: NOTE: These are from BETA1, so the latest version may appear slightly different.

Highres Screenshots: [WARNING: Big Filesize!]

Download:
    FINAL VERSION RELEASED: CTF-Face3 (click to go to FINAL thread)

Got your PM bro: - (I've been working out of town and just returned recently) - its nice to see some neat things still happening and in the works with UT3. IMO this one is certainly a treat for the community and i'm quite glad you guys have / are bringing it forward to the UT3 engine. (well worth the hard efforts IMO)

At a glance - it looks polished and professional, great work Coreper & HO0815XX.

D/L and be back later with feedback. - One thing i noticed already is the 62 MB file size, that's a moderately large (not too bad though) download - I'll take a look in the editor and see if there are any obvious ways to optimize the final on that end..

P.S. For your next project, - I think you should work on either CTF-Absolutezero, or CTF-December or January. We'll talk more later about such things perhaps.

Comment

awesome job; so cool to have that one back in UT3
      thx for ur work

btw; icon should be:Map-DM...nah?

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
        Got your PM bro: - (I've been working out of town and just returned recently) - its nice to see some neat things still happening and in the works with UT3. IMO this one is certainly a treat for the community and i'm quite glad you guys have / are bringing it forward to the UT3 engine. (well worth the hard efforts IMO)

At a glance - it looks polished and professional, great work Coreper & HO0815XX.

D/L and be back later with feedback. - One thing i noticed already is the 62 MB file size, that's a moderately large (not too bad though) download - I'll take a look in the editor and see if there are any obvious ways to optimize the final on that end..
        Thanks
        And yeah, filesize might be a bit big, but actually its extremely small compared to the uncooked 280+ MB :P
        Looking forward to hear your feedback.

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
        awesome job; so cool to have that one back in UT3
        thx for ur work

btw; icon should be:Map-DM...nah?
        fixed it, thanks totally forgot about that

Comment

i just tryed it; enjoyed it ...and like it; same for my children...i wish u had be abble to see the smile on their faces(rofl...on mine too) when they realised that u ported it to UT3...some kind of XMas days smile ...haha^^
          i ll try to post some feedback theses next dayz; i m on fire on farm

Comment

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
            i just tryed it; enjoyed it ...and like it; same for my children...i wish u had be abble to see the smile on their faces(rofl...on mine too) when they realised that u ported it to UT3...some kind of XMas days smile ...haha^^
            i ll try to post some feedback theses next dayz; i m on fire on farm
            now thats awesome news :P
            im very glad you like it! [and your kids!]

Comment

For this first beta, ****, you did a really great job importing it into UT3

Lot's of details as been made & that shows you really put a great effort into it !

Since it's a beta, I'll go forward with feedback. I notice some things ingame :

- The trees have complex collisions & are quite annoying. The best way to get rid of that is simply turn the collisions off on trees & add a approx blocking volume that surround the trunk & set the blocking volume to block all & assign the according physical sound.

- The blue asteroid with a blowing effect that is moving need to be adjust. You can clearly see the kismet restarting sequence when it reposition itself.

- The red planet need more opacity, you can see that it's almost transparent. Quite odd for that size.

- You have a spawning point if front of a pond. There is only the texture above the pond & since players can be inside the pond, I suggest you add a pp volume & a water volume.

- The materials are also good. The only thing I notice is that bumpoffset is to much. Not an issue since most players won't notice anyway.

- I notice that when your in the spawning meshes, the red panels that turn around constantly can be hidden by the clouds behind but it does that only if your inside not outside the mesh ? Dunno if something can be done about that ?

- Don't remember if the original as music but I didn't hear anything ?

In all, shadows are really great knowing your stuck with vertex on a lot of assets. You did a solid job over all

Fans of this map will be pleased !

Keep up the great works guy's

Comment

The remake is beautiful and fun, even if I find that the colors and textures are a bit fade.
                There is also a problem of light between the middle static mesh:

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                  For this first beta, ****, you did a really great job importing it into UT3

Lot's of details as been made & that shows you really put a great effort into it !

Fans of this map will be pleased !

Keep up the great works guy's
                  Thanks!!
                  I really appreciate it!

- The trees have complex collisions & are quite annoying. The best way to get rid of that is simply turn the collisions off on trees & add a approx blocking volume that surround the trunk & set the blocking volume to block all & assign the according physical sound.
                  Actually, what do you think is annoying, because I personally think its very nice like this: having perfect collisions.

- The blue asteroid with a blowing effect that is moving need to be adjust. You can clearly see the kismet restarting sequence when it reposition itself.
                  Wow... good thing you noticed that!
                  Ive never seen that before :S
                  And i didnt use any form of time limiter on the material, so thats weird...
                  Ill have a look into that

- The red planet need more opacity, you can see that it's almost transparent. Quite odd for that size.
                  Yeah, i tried remaking the one from UT2004, which is also transparent. Its supposed to look like its behind the skybox main texture :P
                  Also, it needs to be turned around: the light is coming from the wrong direction now. [i added the sun last]

- You have a spawning point if front of a pond. There is only the texture above the pond & since players can be inside the pond, I suggest you add a pp volume & a water volume.
                  Actually, there is a watervolume with postprocessing effects. However the underwater blur isnt done correctly. Any tips how I can make it look properly?
                  Btw: this spawning point is like in the UT2004 version

- The materials are also good. The only thing I notice is that bumpoffset is to much. Not an issue since most players won't notice anyway.
                  I agree, however, HO0815XX really wanted to keep it like this at the time.
                  I think this needs fixing, ill look into it!

- I notice that when your in the spawning meshes, the red panels that turn around constantly can be hidden by the clouds behind but it does that only if your inside not outside the mesh ? Dunno if something can be done about that ?
                  Yeah, I noticed this too, and actually, it gets even worse: the skybox seems to hide every form of lighted texture: try firing a shockcore with the skybox on the background...
                  The shockcore disappears...
                  Something I really need to fix!

- Don't remember if the original as music but I didn't hear anything ?
                  It is included, and it plays, but youre right: the volume is too low, ill turn it up.

In all, shadows are really great knowing your stuck with vertex on a lot of assets. You did a solid job over all
                  Thanks
                  The lighting was indeed a real pain in the ***, with all the converted materials and meshes.
                  We actually had to remake ALL materials!

@BloodK1nG:
                  I am aware of several lighting issues. Unfortunatly I can't do a thing about it. I tried my best getting it as perfect as possible..

Comment

Personally I think the red planet in the skybox looks like that one in UT2004 (except the wrong light direction :S)
                    All the things I wanted to report have been already said but I will try to spot some bugs which could affect gameplay and visual bugs.

When I find something I'll post it.

BTW did you try converting the whole asteroid into one static mesh and to edit it? That might solve your weird lighting problems.

Comment

Very nice remake man, downloading

Comment

Originally posted by Sly. View Post
                        Personally I think the red planet in the skybox looks like that one in UT2004 (except the wrong light direction :S)
                        All the things I wanted to report have been already said but I will try to spot some bugs which could affect gameplay and visual bugs.

When I find something I'll post it.

BTW did you try converting the whole asteroid into one static mesh and to edit it? That might solve your weird lighting problems.
                        Well, neither me and HO08 know how to do this, and this would also mean that i have to realign the complete terrain texture, not even mentioning the fact it could completely mess up the UV maps...
                        so yeah, ive thought about it, but no i didnt try because its too much work with a to high risk of things going wrong.

Originally posted by Darkemule View Post
                        Very nice remake man, downloading
                        Thanks
                        make sure to leave feedback

Comment

Originally posted by Coreper View Post
                          make sure to leave feedback
                          Not much to report tbh, it seems practically perfect, just a minor thing i noticed. Some floor surfaces inside the bases could be better aligned.

[SHOT]http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/9739/immaginehve.jpg[/SHOT]

Beside this it seems perfect to me, impressive work really.

Comment

Thanks for the tip!
                            Going to have a look at that too

Comment

Played the map, some issues with collisions that Stevelois already mentioned.

I have some comments regarding the lighting though. Outside it looks great however the inside areas not so much. It's way too bright inside and you can hardly see the colored lighting from the torches etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X