• Time
  • Show
Clear All

DM-Richter DM-Chiasma Added[RC][Vid][Pics][Updated 24.10.2010]

Name:DM-Richter, Subdivided
    DM-Richer_SP &
    DM-Chiasma

Version:RC

Compatibility:Patch 2.1 (No Titan assets used)

Description: While dividing my map I draw on the analogy of meiosis where the diploid chromosomes are crossed over to generated diversity before being halved. The process's name is cross over or Chiasma.

DM-Richter_LP
    |
    |
    --- DM-Richter_SP (UDamage Side)
    |
    |
    --- DM-Chiasma (Berserk Side)

Comments: I've decided to fork the map into a smaller version in response to some comments. The SP (short play) version has the Berserk area deleted, DM-Chiasma is the Berserk area while the LP (long play) has both version with some teleporters included.

My First attempt at mapping.
    Original thread I failed to consolidate

Change Log:
    Code:
    DM-Chiasma_RC

-Changed Post Process to early evening feel
    -Re-worked lighting
    -Added many light cones for ambiance
    -Swapped out the sky mesh for a dusk feel
    -Tweaked the fog layer
    -Blocked off the U-Damage area and added some more pathways in shield belt room
    -Swapped out a few meshes
    -Removed some tiles and replaced with BSP
    -Added a new sound track - VeloCity, thanks to zYnthetic form his album PLAY & CBP team

DM-Richter_[SP/LP]

-Changed water material to a calmer version
    -Added teleporters x2 [LP version]
    -Added trim around grating in Berserk room -thanks Syphix
    -Enabled light mapping on meshes where possible for better shadows -thanks Stevelois
    -Reworked sounds so it tappers of more gently -thanks Stevelois
    -Fixed light meshes representing the surrounding colour -thanks Stevelois
    -Created animating light material to for Berserk spawn sequence -thanks Stevelois duplicating epic content tutorial
    -Re-engineered super health spawn so it doesn't need script for easier installation
    -Added blocking volume to prevent potential problems
    -Corrected a trip hazard

-Split map into 2 version LP (LongPlay) and a SP (ShortPlay)

Beta 2 

###### Game Play / layout ######

-Redistributed player starts so areas get more even distribution of players. 
    -Moved shield belt to a more central area.
    -Added flammable gas valve beneath shield belt balancing "Doh" with ha you got immolated.
    -Added another vent form shield belt room lift jump. Now you have the option of slomo shield or route to 
    sniper rifle above super health pool.
    -Added stair well in shield belt room Breaking a up long corridor, greatly increasing flow.
    -Added another escape route out of lower level shield belt area breaking up corridor.
    -Replaced Invisibility with health vials.
    -Added a lift jump to inside cooling tower encouraging bots to grab the redeemer more often.
    -Added pipes on the outside of cooling tower, now bots have more paths and use the area more intelligently.
    -Several small changes to health and ammo and weapon pickup locations.
    -Added vents intercepting Berserk room & shield belt room x 2.
    -Removed spotlights on tower (see lighting improvements).
    -Opened up the mine area but blocked the mine shaft coz its only one way.
    -Removed sound cue on Redeemer pickup (as its a occasionally clobbered by other fx's).
    -Added a ramp at the back of the Super Health pond.

###### Aesthetics ######

-Added Terrain layer.
    -Major overhaul of lighting/Added Post Process - the level is much brighter with more contrast/ shadows.
    -Shadow and light mapping have been improved for crisper contrast.
    -Replaced wall with Trellis type mesh near elevator in mine shaft room. Brightening up that area alot.  
    -Centered many pool pistons and sniper perch in Berserk room.  Ops.
    -Replace fans meshes, Thanks Bl!tz
    -Replaced water material in Berserk rooms Thanks Bl!tz
    -Replaced a few materials. Added some new ones.
    -Added edging around roof of shield belt room.
    -Tidied up materials around elevators.  
    -Made the non functional cooling fan looks more derelict so your less likely to use it to cushion your fall.  
    Thanks Lex.
    -Changed the sky dome material so it fits the brighter lighting scheme.

###### Troubleshooting ######  

-Improved bot pathing - bots now brave the jump form the tower and used it more for sniping, redeeming and hijincks.
    -Improved performance slightly.
    -Added blocking volume in several snag areas.
    -Added blocking volume to smooth out stairs in inside water way area.
    -Massaged the timings on the Super health/ Berserk spawn.  They now sync perfectly. Bot pathing is also in sync.
    -Removed several collision issues.

Beta 1 

###### Advice taken ###### 

-Removed Spider Mines, X-Ray Field, leaning towards removal of Invisibility.  Added many more health and ammo pickups

###### General ###### 

-New Berserk spawn sequence: Area modified to make it easier to get in and out.
    A reciprocating water pump floods Berserk room while opening up outer pond for health pickups. 
    This area is rapidly reversed on Berserk pickup adding to the fun.
    -A major overhaul of UDamge spawn sequence.  Central cooling pond had been shrunk and Cooling 
    fans replaced with a central Collection point for the UDamage.  Collection of the UDamage randomly propels 
    the pawn to either side of the cooling pond.  As well, base jumping form the top tower is safe, provided you aim for 
    inside the UDamage pipe (While the UDamage is present).
    -Redeemer spawns to much improved structural tremor effects - you cant miss it.  Added Sound cues to Tower pickup events. 
    Improved the Towers Acoustics giving it more echo.
    -Added a booby trap power box beside the lift jump to Flack cannon to offset the health pickup there.

-Opened up many new areas.
    -Many Texture changes
    -Much more deco meshes.
    -Fixed collision issues on several meshes.
    -Fixed a hole that allowed player to leave the game world.
    -Improved bot paths 
    And lots of minor stuff.
    Youtube Video:
    DM-Richter_B2

Screenshot: [DM-Chiasma_RC]
    [screenshot]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/9158/dmchiasma01.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1179/dmchiasma03.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/2413/dmchiasma04.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/9729/dmchiasma06.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/5840/dmchiasma07.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/7196/dmchiasma09.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/45/dmchiasma10.jpg[/screenshot][screenshot]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/9752/dmchiasma11.jpg[/screenshot]
    [screenshot]http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/8237/dmchiasma12.jpg[/screenshot]

Credits:
    [Beta Testers]
    Bl!tz
    Lex
    Stevelois
    Syphix
    Taffy
    Tipper
    [Support]
    coolcat22
    Piranhi

###### Tutorials and knowledge ######
    3D Buzz, Unreal Tournament 3 - 3D Buzz Video Tutorial Pack, Hourences TUTORIALS - INDEX, UDN, Stevelois Enforcer tut, Odedge awesome link resource, Ambershees scripting tutorials, Waylons Learning Unreal Engine 3, IceCreamYou UT3 Tutorial Index, AVLD Kismet, Ben Burkart Level Optimisation, Eat3D, Joshua Javaheri (TrendyEntertainment) zYnthetic VeloCity soundtrack + CBP music arrangement

Final Posted

Oh good. Glad you didn't abandon the project. Shocking lack of response really.

Comment

looks really good; DL...thx for ur work

Comment

Tipper: Not a chance.

Blitz: Thanks

If you get chance let me know if you find any glitches/observations.

Comment

just tryed the map and here are some comments:

-the map have a nice deep athmosphere
          -i like the layout even if it a little too big to my taste
          -the UDamage in that hole is very fun
          -i dont like thoses slim fans; they have weird looking (the big one that u used on some walls is really more appropriate)
          -the swimming pool moove like a river and there s no reason (no entry and no exit for water fiting to the water "flow")
          -the swimming pool generate a too powerfull blue reflection on the structure; as the water is quite translucid it dont make sence
          -the whole map need more contrasts (darkest areas are way to lighty imo)

the map have potential and u did a nice job; thx for ur work

edit: i forgot to mention that i had some kind of fps dropdowns in some places

Comment

Thanks for your feedback Blitz. I'll defiantly put those observations into the next release. Cheers.

Comment

Update Ready

Comment

Hey there

Did a run on B2,

I must say you have lot's of good ideas when it come down to layout. It's very cool in many ways

The camera shaking with the synchronous sounds & pp effect is **** great. Funny that 3 DM maps published in less than 1 week as that great feature.

Sadly, I don't like huge DM with weapons in double with pickups all over the place (personal preference ofc).

I have some things to comment :

- Many lights SM emit a white / yellow light but the surrounding is another color, like orange or green ???

- Lot's of BSP are cut half way. I saw that in many Liandri floor tiles so a trim is needed. Also, lot's of them aren't well aligned together.

- Shadows are practically non existent all across the map. I strongly suggest you use LM instead of Vertex lighting.

- Many sounds aren't fading well. They are more "cutting" than fading smoothly when you get closer / going far away to the source.

- All water materials need more polishing. The water is traveling much to fast considering is source.

It may sound a bit big to fix but the map as many good points.

- The animated preview pic is nice (always like that feature)
                - Player count is right on it
                - Layout is very cool
                - Atmosphere is good

Keep up the good work

Comment

I can only reiterate what stevelois has said (yes my cheap attempt at C&C lol). In all honesty though it is a map with a lot of great ideas which probably should have not all been put into one map. Just because there are lots of great ingredients which could taste nice in a cake, doesn't mean you should put them all in one cake. The result is a rather confusing experience, I was happily playing the map for 10mins and then discovered a whole new entire half to it lol. Try adjust texture sizes to align properly with BSP such as shown in the third screenshot provided, the grate should be aligned with the tiles.

Just because it is a large map doesn't mean it should not have the attention to detail, that is where the problem lies in large maps; it is far more work to get them looking perfect.

I am not going to say you should remove a large portion of the map, although personally I think all the area past the water with the UDamage is unnecessary (ie the area where you can get the Beserk, with all that flooding). As previously mentioned I had been happily playing around the cooling tower area wondering where everyone was lol. A smaller map focused around that area would mean more action there, where personally I think it would be the most fun.

It is good work. You should try in future to hold stuff back to impress people on later maps; don't show all your cards at once

Comment

Stevelois:

Yeah I found the synchronicity of Fx choice with those other maps funny too.

Size has always been something I struggled with. I'm too new to mapping to have good common sense.

Thanks for the pick up on uneven lighting, water material, floor edging and sharp sounds boundaries. Im pretty sure I can work those out.

Your LM tutorial is really good by the way. I've still got heaps to figure out in the lighting dpt but your knowledge helps a lot. I was being conservative with LM on bsp to reduce file size which is probably the start of my woes for a map this size (map size strikes again). Never the less I'll give your suggestions a go. THX for your help and support

Syphix:

My aim was to make a map that had lots of different game play options, hence the size and perhaps too many Fx and such

I'll see what I can do about the floor grating, THX.

I wondered weather putting in a teleporter may lessen the shock you felt discovering those other areas, breaking up the distance problem? Might need a bit of work to help it fit the environment though.

Your right about the work load. I think thats really whats holding this map down[lame excuse]. Never the less I feel I'm learning how to better approach big ideas, [next time at least].

THX for testing!

Comment

Originally posted by Achernar View Post
                      Stevelois:

Yeah I found the synchronicity of Fx choice with those other maps funny too.

Size has always been something I struggled with. I'm too new to mapping to have good common sense.
                      Yeah, I know, it can be a pain to determine the right size. It's even harder for CTF / VCTF & WAR maps. A trick I can give you is when you start to build the map, use a grid of 1024. That way, when your building the "exterior" limits of the map using that grid size is easier to establish the play area. An example for this would be like if you want to build a 1-on-1 map, a value of 3072 (with) by 2048 (deep) by 1024 (height) is great. Another thing to do that I found very helpful, when I start a map, I add some players SM so you have a good idea of the map size vs. player size.

Thanks for the pick up on uneven lighting, water material, floor edging and sharp sounds boundaries. Im pretty sure I can work those out.
                      Many of those things are very easy to fix. I don't doubt you can fix all of that. If there is something you need in particular, just ask or send me a PM

Your LM tutorial is really good by the way. I've still got heaps to figure out in the lighting dpt but your knowledge helps a lot. I was being conservative with LM on bsp to reduce file size which is probably the start of my woes for a map this size (map size strikes again). Never the less I'll give your suggestions a go. THX for your help and support
                      THX It is so rare that I receive feedback about my tuts that I always ask myself why would I bother to make some in the first place ! I'm happy it help you out

Also, by using LM on SM, your file size will decrease depending on the SM in use. But indeed, BSP will increase the file size a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by stevelois View Post
                        Yeah, I know, it can be a pain to determine the right size. It's even harder for CTF / VCTF & WAR maps. A trick I can give you is when you start to build the map, use a grid of 1024. That way, when your building the "exterior" limits of the map using that grid size is easier to establish the play area. An example for this would be like if you want to build a 1-on-1 map, a value of 3072 (with) by 2048 (deep) by 1024 (height) is great. Another thing to do that I found very helpful, when I start a map, I add some players SM so you have a good idea of the map size vs. player size.
                        Thanks for the handy advice on approaching map building. Having some constraints is pretty valuable. Helps maintain perspective when prototyping ideas. I suspect thats where my focus has frayed.

Many of those things are very easy to fix. I don't doubt you can fix all of that. If there is something you need in particular, just ask or send me a PM
                        Many thanks for your kind offer - I'll keep that in mind.

THX It is so rare that I receive feedback about my tuts that I always ask myself why would I bother to make some in the first place ! I'm happy it help you out
                        Edit: added " I would not have got very far with out it" ops, hope there was no misunderstanding.
                        Oh man. I am very indebted to the people like yourself that take the time to piece together this knowledge. I would not have got very far with out it. Its a shame that sharing knowledge is not valued more highly.

Also, by using LM on SM, your file size will decrease depending on the SM in use. But indeed, BSP will increase the file size a bit more.
                        Thats very handy to know and something I will have to investigate in this map.

THX again for you help.

Comment

hey bro; srry i m a little "off" theses days but my children tryed it today and....they played it the whole afternoon!....they like a lot the "interactive " side of the map and insist to thx you for your imagination & work...so i do it
                          cant wait to try that myself tommorow ...from what i saw ,it looks promising
                          booyah

Comment

Hey Thanks Bli!z, glad that your family enjoyed it.

Thanks for your comments last time I tried to implement your thoughts but I feel I probably need to go a bit further on the out side water.

The last game play feature I'm debating is a teleporter - something glacial in appearance perhaps a bit more derelict though. Love to know what you think.

Comment

héhé i finally took the time to try it and i like it very much
                              okay this is not a conventionnal gameplay ; the map is too huge for that but honnestly it s very fun to explore that huge level
                              visually i found it nice except some foliages that looks very flat & some others overscaled in some place
                              the fans look nice now
                              the athmosphere of the map is deep & good ;cant imagine how many hours u ve spend on it
                              for the teleporter it s a good idea but from where to where ?

nice improovment to the map; keep up the good work

Comment

Working...
                              X