• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-Coret3 Beta Release Thread [Youtube video] [Beta 2 Out]

Name: Coret 3

Version: 1.2 beta

Compatibility: UT3 with titan pack

Description: This is the private testing thread for Coret. Please PM me for a link to the file. After enough feedback, I will post the final version soon after.

Changes from beta 1:

- changed the light radius around the green vat areas to be more focused.

- Made more headroom in several areas.

- Changed the "outside" view to an industrial / rock theme.

- Added door sounds.

- Fixed some flickering pipe meshes on the ceilings.

- Made the blue base hallway brighter.

Youtube video in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R-BZM3qDlY

Credits: Epic games, the original author of CTF-Coret in UT1

Homepage: http://www.devmods.com

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?djtm4mmzmmm

Hiya bud, haven't been on yet today .... but i had a chance to run through the map, looks like you are definitely off to a great start!

Is it OK with you to leave comments in this thread or feedback?

Comment

Yes, I welcome feedback in this thread. But before you say anything, I do realize there are a few mistakes, such as the music looping was wrong, I had the tempo set wrong. I also already fixed some light cones that had collision on them by default (Thanks epic!).

Comment

Gotcha.. good! - Well here goes;

OK we'll take this down the line.

Scaling-wise it feels right, (with the small issue of a couple of area's where you hit your head if you dodge in the wrong spot) - I should take screens of those areas for you actually, in fact i will at some point over the weekend here.

The middle area is trick, i like it! - i like what you've done and the Udamage upper area is also very kewl. The lighting is good (really good in some area's) could use some tweaking in others. I guess i need to take more shots? lol

Will you replace the lift in the base with a jump pad like the original? the jump pad seems like the way to go to keep speed and flow up when taking the upper route to exit the base. Have you ever used a jump pad in any of your maps? (i'm sure you know how) but it's very easy to set one up. once you know how. Tutorial - about 3/4 of the way down - just need to connect it to the navigation point.

It's great to see doors on this map, though they seem like they should be faster to cycle open / close, are you able to increase the speed?

Of course you know that i'm not picking you work apart, honest feedback has probably hurt more feeling and made more enemies than anything else here. Lets keep this real for the sake of improving the map. I want to see you succeed with making this map the best it can be. I absolutely like your mapping style, you've got mad skillz, especially when you put the time into a project. Remember, i'm on your team here ..

I do think you went a little heavy on the pipes (especially in the ceilings in certain areas) The excessive pipes in all area's of the map are giving me a sense of repetition ((which i'm not used to in some of your more recent accomplished work)) even though you've defined many area's of the map quite nicely.

I see a repeat of a Cave with a pipe hung from chains that i've seen before that i believe comes from CrazyBastards map, (I know you credited someone from CBP in your DM-Shrapnel remake where i saw this before) I'd say you have the right concept to ad something cool in that area to peer out & see, but i'd say make it your own and do something unique that's yours, take a small scene out of your own map (Armadus?) maybe. I think your certainly good enough to take a few extra minutes / hours and create something unique that's yours as i say, that other people will want to use for their maps. - Just a suggestion of course, take it for what its worth.

On the lighting issues, i can mention some of those real fast, most of the lighting you have is good, with the exception of the dark area's, in the halls middle halls where the health pickups are & stinger gun opposite side you have a green tint with the goo vats, this is right but i think you need to localize the green tint close to the vats and keep the rest of the lighting more neutral, it's also a little dark in the lower halls.

I'll take some shots though and post them if you want me too?

Also on your additive brush you need to reduce the size of it to just beyond the size of all of your BSP, resize it on all axis, (shrink the entire brush down) your build times will speed up by 50-75% and it will greatly optimize the map since it is being built in subtractive mode. - If your not sure what i mean i'll send you a dummy map with only the brush resized correctly for your BSP but i think you can figure it out.

Great work so far. - That is my honest humble opinion & feedback so far bro, hope it helps in some way.

Comment

Scaling-wise it feels right, (with the small issue of a couple of area's where you hit your head if you dodge in the wrong spot) - I should take screens of those areas for you actually, in fact i will at some point over the weekend here.
          Yes, if the headroom in some areas can be increased without affecting the rest of the BSP - then I shall do it.

The middle area is trick, i like it! - i like what you've done and the Udamage upper area is also very kewl. The lighting is good (really good in some area's) could use some tweaking in others. I guess i need to take more shots?
          Thanks on that. Appreciate it. Maybe take shots where it needs improving.

Will you replace the lift in the base with a jump pad like the original? the jump pad seems like the way to go to keep speed and flow up when taking the upper route to exit the base. Have you ever used a jump pad in any of your maps? (i'm sure you know how) but it's very easy to set one up. once you know how. Tutorial - about 3/4 of the way down - just need to connect it to the navigation point.
          Yes I might do that. Don't know for sure, I prefer lifts over jump pads.

It's great to see doors on this map, though they seem like they should be faster to cycle open / close, are you able to increase the speed?
          I will attempt to increase the speed to 0.5 seconds...

Of course you know that i'm not picking you work apart, honest feedback has probably hurt more feeling and made more enemies than anything else here. Lets keep this real for the sake of improving the map. I want to see you succeed with making this map the best it can be. I absolutely like your mapping style, you've got mad skillz, especially when you put the time into a project. Remember, i'm on your team here ..
          I prefer honest feedback, it helps bring the map to full potential

I do think you went a little heavy on the pipes (especially in the ceilings in certain areas) The excessive pipes in all area's of the map are giving me a sense of repetition ((which i'm not used to in some of your more recent accomplished work)) even though you've defined many area's of the map quite nicely.
          Yes perhaps I did, only because the ceilings felt barren and it needed something to fit the theme... if you can suggest something else to cover the ceilings with, lemme know.

I see a repeat of a Cave with a pipe hung from chains that i've seen before that i believe comes from CrazyBastards map, (I know you credited someone from CBP in your DM-Shrapnel remake where i saw this before) I'd say you have the right concept to ad something cool in that area to peer out & see, but i'd say make it your own and do something unique that's yours, take a small scene out of your own map (Armadus?) maybe. I think your certainly good enough to take a few extra minutes / hours and create something unique that's yours as i say, that other people will want to use for their maps. - Just a suggestion of course, take it for what its worth.
          Yes perhaps I will add something from one of my other maps into this one for the outside area, I couldn't think of anything better at the time.

On the lighting issues, i can mention some of those real fast, most of the lighting you have is good, with the exception of the dark area's, in the halls middle halls where the health pickups are & stinger gun opposite side you have a green tint with the goo vats, this is right but i think you need to localize the green tint close to the vats and keep the rest of the lighting more neutral, it's also a little dark in the lower halls.
          I will attempt to do this yes.

Also on your additive brush you need to reduce the size of it to just beyond the size of all of your BSP, resize it on all axis, (shrink the entire brush down) your build times will speed up by 50-75% and it will greatly optimize the map since it is being built in subtractive mode. - If your not sure what i mean i'll send you a dummy map with only the brush resized correctly for your BSP but i think you can figure it out.
          Are yout talking about the big floor additive brush?

Comment

Great attitude!

Thx for remaking a quality version of Coret for everyone to enjoy, long overdue IMO) - **** going to be kickazz to see Coret in the making & done up this way

OK back to the serious stuff .......

I'll be working on some screens in the next days, & yes it's the big additive brush.

Give me a few couple of days to work up some screenshots.

Suggestively - I'd recommend to take your time on this one & enjoy remaking it.

Double thumbs up again my friend.

Comment

But of course others who test out the map are not going to have the same suggestions as you are, and might feel the map could only use a few improvments here and there. But I will look at all suggestions subjectivley, and decide what is best for the map. Remember, you can't please everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by »TheHitMan« View Post
                But of course others who test out the map are not going to have the same suggestions as you are, and might feel the map could only use a few improvments here and there. But I will look at all suggestions subjectivley, and decide what is best for the map. Remember, you can't please everyone.
                +1

Word ..

Comment

I just had a look at the YT video, and it really looks awesome!
                  Something you need to fix: the doors: they open way too slow :P
                  Besides that, it looks great.

There is just one thing i wonder: what is the added value over the stock Coret version?
                  as the layout is basically the same...

Comment

The one that came with UT3 is way overscaled and the layout has been somewhat skewed according to other members. Some key gameplay elements have been also taken out in the "flashy" version. Also this industrial version is easier on the eye rather than over post processed and strobe effects.

Comment

Psst hey 1Xtreme could you clear out your PM box for me?

Comment

Originally posted by »TheHitMan« View Post
                        Psst hey 1Xtreme could you clear out your PM box for me?
                        ROFL....again ? haha^^

Comment

He must be a popular guy... I just wanted to know where to increase the headroom at... so far I've changed the caves to windows looking out to some different lookin caves, but with industrial machinery and spotlights.

Comment

Firebreath!

I know Mechanism 8 was the original (and current) music for Coret, but Firebreath was among my favorite UT99 songs, and this is the first time I hear it in a UT3 map (well, in your video--I have music turned off in-game...)

The main corridors leading into the flak/health room (the ones with red/blue lights) seem a little dark. Was that intentional?

Peace,
                            -Rhykker

Comment

Yes the lighting was intended to be dark and colored according to each team's side. I figured it was boring to have the same amount of lighting everywhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X