• Time
  • Show
Clear All

CTF-BridgeOfFate[Beta2-Picts-D/L]

CTF-BridgeOfFate

Version:Beta2

Description:

Description from BU archives:
    Bridge of Fate is a large Capture the Flag map set in a moody cavern. The 2 bases are divided by a large canyon that runs through the middle of the map. There are 3 bridges that cross this canyon, one of which is broken, but the gap can be jumped over. The bases feature an enormous hall with sky-high pillars and a few other, smaller rooms. There is virtually no z-axis gameplay here, apart from the Flag room and the area in/around the canyon.

Another version of this map, made for Bombing Run, is BR-BridgeOfFate. That version is mostly the same, but the CTF version's side rooms around the pillar halls are not walled off in the BR version.

Bridge of Fate was the first Capture the Flag map introduced in the UT2004 demo version. Unlike the later CTF-FaceClassic, it never got too popular.

Comments:

Remake of the UT2004 map with importation of bsp part and some meshes (bridges/pillars/giant roots)
    ToDo:Lot of adjustements on rocks; meshing on ceilings; some triming here and there

Screenshots:

Credits:
    Bastiaan 'Checker' Frank for the original map
    XtremXp for the converter
    SebastienNova for static mesh importation and several other things
    Thrallala for the lava material
    Odedge for the flags meshes & materials
    the UOF crew for support, help and betatesting

Download

Looking good. This was a fun map. Can't wait for the Beta

Comment

Looks promising so far. I'll try it out sometime tomorrow after my last midterm.

I understand what you're saying about why you made it VCTF, but... I still would suggest releasing a CTF version as well. I am by no means saying the VCTF is a bad idea. I just think I'd rather have a map that is as more of a pure remake of the CTF/BR maps found in UT2004 because I'd feel more "at home."

Also, quick question: Does this map have the background music like in UT2004 as well?

Comment

1st things first

Oh snap!

No way this map is finally going to get done .. too kewl. :_)

Better get a D/L a.s.a.p. so we can check mainly (the scaling) been having lots of discussions about this, the converter utility (great tool BTW, that many in the community seem to be benefiting from, so don't get me wrong, though i think the author might prefer very large maps dunno?) that many are using seems to upscale by 1.25% - this is a huge mistake IMO when using BSP from UT2004, it should convert at a scale of .85 or .9 to compensate for the physical differences & limitations in the engines, the only reason i'm mentioning this is because it will be much much easier to rescale the entire map now vs. later.

While some have said they don't care much about scaling, it might also be that it's more work and headache than they care to deal with.

I'll offer you how some tips on rescaling the entire map if you feel it's too big for the UT3 dodging, shorter jumps, heavier gravity, etc. I know your an ace mapper Bl!tz - you have "the right stuff" when it comes to listening about issues like this, that's one thing i really appreciate about your mapping style.

Let me know, look forward to seeing more on this, thanks for preview, i'll ad this thread to the remake sticky as soon as you have an alpha/beta D/L. - You may also be aware that PS/3 users supposedly can't crouch? I've read it asked where an entire map was asked to be scaled larger for that single issue, (not the right way to go for that problem IMO, no point in throwing an entire map out of whack over that) though i do think its very important to support the PS/3 community, i'd go as far as to take make special provisions in any of my releases to ensure playability. (such as increasing height in a few areas that require crouching, removing assets, etc. but i will not over-scale an entire map as a means of a solution) - Roger that! word to ya.

Thx for listening.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFirestorm View Post
          Looks promising so far. I'll try it out sometime tomorrow after my last midterm.

I understand what you're saying about why you made it VCTF, but... I still would suggest releasing a CTF version as well. I am by no means saying the VCTF is a bad idea. I just think I'd rather have a map that is as more of a pure remake of the CTF/BR maps found in UT2004 because I'd feel more "at home."

Also, quick question: Does this map have the background music like in UT2004 as well?
          thx and....sure it have the music (the same) and in fact i only do remakes if i luv the music theme....not intentionnaly but i have note that point.. haha...the music is 50 % of the athmosphere and is written somewhere in oua heads^^

ok for the CTF i agree on the "pure" aspect of a remake...i m gonna do a vctf in allways...ctf/vctf: it s not a big deal to transform from one to other

@gussie:thx mate

Comment

1x:thx bro; i agree on what u said against systematic rescaling on x1.25 it make no sence

each map have to be scaled to be playable first and it was one of my biggest problem while rescaling morpheus3:the balance between a pure remake visually and been abble to play it the same way as on previous edition...not easy...lol...i m paste on my remake of morpheus99 since 3 month for thoses reasons

for BridgeofFate some parts are small (the staircases on each sides) and i tryed to scale the map from that and to keep the original feeling of "giant" place i had to scale it x1.4.....yeah ! dont fall of yer chair haha...i tryed it on ctf & vctf versions and it play like the ut2004 version... imho...
            i want to post a beta too but i m stuck on bridges & roots bv ; i have succed to import em with novas help but they havent collision so i m gonna double the bridges with a "chineese woodbridge" for the beta to get them "walkabble"
            expect a first beta in the next dayz

Comment

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
              thx and....sure it have the music (the same) and in fact i only do remakes if i luv the music theme....not intentionnaly but i have note that point.. haha...the music is 50 % of the athmosphere and is written somewhere in oua heads^^

ok for the CTF i agree on the "pure" aspect of a remake...i m gonna do a vctf in allways...ctf/vctf: it s not a big deal to transform from one to other

@gussie:thx mate
              you welcome mate
              Your so right about the music being 50% of the atmosphere. You couldn't be more right about that. In fact, The music is one of the things that make Unreal so great.

Comment

Originally posted by Bl!tz~ View Post
                1x:thx bro; i agree on what u said against systematic rescaling on x1.25 it make no sence

each map have to be scaled to be playable first and it was one of my biggest problem while rescaling morpheus3:the balance between a pure remake visually and been abble to play it the same way as on previous edition...not easy...lol...i m paste on my remake of morpheus99 since 3 month for thoses reasons

for BridgeofFate some parts are small (the staircases on each sides) and i tryed to scale the map from that and to keep the original feeling of "giant" place i had to scale it x1.4.....yeah ! dont fall of yer chair haha...i tryed it on ctf & vctf versions and it play like the ut2004 version... imho...
                i want to post a beta too but i m stuck on bridges & roots bv ; i have succed to import em with novas help but they havent collision so i m gonna double the bridges with a "chineese woodbridge" for the beta to get them "walkabble"
                expect a first beta in the next dayz
                Oh! smack ..

Haha, YW bro!

Dang i have to pick myself up off the ground now .. ^^ lol j/k well as you explained things it sounds to me like you have a very good idea of whats going on and what your going for, i also appreciate that quick story about Morpheus3, you are an opened minded and conscientious mapper, you'll do this one right i have complete confidence in ya.

On those mesh bridges you can't use Auto Convex Collision?

I'll look forward to that beta ..

Comment

a favorite 2k4 map, will keep an eye on this.

Comment

héhé

ok colision on bridges and giant roots have been fixed/set/adjusted and i try to give to the map a "decent " looking before the first beta

Comment

Another classic remake, keep it up brother

Comment

Originally posted by SEBASTIEN-NOVA View Post
                        Another classic remake, keep it up brother
                        thx for ur help my friend

Comment

So how is this going? It's been a while since we've heard anything. :U

Comment

yeah srry i have lot of job in RL theses weeks and i m "finishing" phobos first so lets say one week more for phobos and one week more to the first beta ...15 days ...srry for delays

fyi i have work on this one and i have the bridges ok imported from ut2k4 with the right collisions and quite all textured....need to place all weapons and to "build" the big roots around the bridges and it ll be ok for first beta

Comment

Yeah, I'm replaying UT2004's version of Bridge of Fate as we speak, so I can compare your remake against it. So far, I'd say your remake is perhaps 80% accurate from the 2004 version. I'm gonna have to try and weasel into split screen between the two games, easier said than done.

Comment

Working...
                              X