Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT2004Pace (including UT2004's movement)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT2004Pace (including UT2004's movement)

Name: UT2004Pace
    Version: Beta 1
    Compatibility:Titan Pack
    Description:Attempted to mimic UT2004's Movement and Pace for UT3. To be used with the dodgemod.
    Known Issues/Differences: You can dodge immediately after landing from a "dodge jump". In UT2004 there's a delay.
    You can "dodge jump" after a wall dodge folowing a double jump. In UT2004 you could only do this folowing a single jump.

Screenshot: NA
    Credits: Elliot's DodgeJump Mutator, me

Download:http://www.sendspace.com/file/mkqq9s

Tell us more HideInLight ..

How are you going about this, are you speeding up the character, increasing dodge distance?

A little more info would be good in the description.

I'll DL and see what i can see.

Ever notice you could dodge very high and far and get to some very wild places in UT2004 that you can't in UT3? IMO you could move quite a bit faster in UT2004, the gravity was considerably lighter, this is why there are collision problems galore on many converted maps.

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
      Tell us more HideInLight ..

How are you going about this, are you speeding up the character, increasing dodge distance?

A little more info would be good in the description.

I'll DL and see what i can see.

Ever notice you could dodge very high and far and get to some very wild places in UT2004 that you can't in UT3? IMO you could move quite a bit faster in UT2004, the gravity was considerably lighter, this is why there are collision problems galore on many converted maps.
      class UT2004Pace extends UTMutator;

/** Game speed modifier. */
      var() float GameSpeed;

function InitMutator(string Options, out string ErrorMessage)
      {
      WorldInfo.Game.SetGameSpeed(GameSpeed);
      Super.InitMutator(Options, ErrorMessage);
      }

function ModifyPlayer(Pawn Gamer)
      {
      local UTPawn PlayerPawn;
      PlayerPawn = UTPawn(Gamer);

if (PlayerPawn!= None)
      {
      PlayerPawn.Groundspeed = 462; //440
      PlayerPawn.DodgeResetTime = 0.85; //0.35
      PlayerPawn.FireRateMultiplier = 0.93; //1.00
      PlayerPawn.DodgeSpeed = 730; //600
      PlayerPawn.DodgeSpeedZ = 230; //290
      PlayerPawn.Jumpz = 380; //322
      PlayerPawn.Multijumpboost = -20; //-45
      }
      super.ModifyPlayer(Gamer);
      }

DefaultProperties
      {
      GroupNames[0]="GAMESPEED"
      GameSpeed=0.9
      }
      There's the source code with the new and default values. Used console commands and spend a day testing the values in DM-Ranking and DM-CampingGrounds (the ported ones)

Firstly I slowed the game down after seeing what effects it had on the gameplay when I tested the powerup timers. Shock combos suddenly became a lot easier to do just like in UT2004 and the projectles moved at a lot more familiar pace.
      Not only that, but it also makes the players appear more floaty like in UT2004. Players basically get 10% more airtime. It's a lot better alternative then changing the gravity which would effect other things as well which I don't want.

Secondly the speed at which players run. Players run faster in UT3 then in UT2004. Since I slowed the game down players ran 10% slower than normally, which was more in line with UT2004 but still so I boosted it by 5%.

Thirdly and most importantly. The Dodging. This is what makes UT2004 feel faster than UT3.
      DodgeSpeed = 730; //600
      DodgeSpeedZ = 230; //290
      As you can see the dodgespeed in UT2004 is a lot faster and the height a lot lower than in UT3. Add dodgejump and your moving at a far greater speed while in the air compared to just running (which increases the pace of the game a lot and makes UT3 vanilla seem slow).
      Also increased the dodgeresetTime to also give the same restrictions as in UT2004.

Jumping. In short after some testing I found that a (double jump + wall dodge) in UT3 is about the same
      as a double jump in UT2004. Wall dodging doesn't really give you much extra height in UT2004.
      Jumpz = 380; //322
      As you can see I increased the normal jump height by about 60 units which is about the same amount I took away from the dodge height.

To finish things off I made sure the actual dodge jumping felt the same. For this I equiped the link-gun...
      I basically fired at the wall while dodgejumping sideways to get a "line" which I screenshotted from both games and compared to each other.
      With this I could get an idea of length and angle of the dodgejump from beginning to end.

Comment

Thank you for that detailed answer, when i have a little more time i'll revisit this thread and discuss more.

Real fast though;

I don't think it's just the dodge speed, i think it's also the dodge distance (considerably farther) in 2004, i could get across large map very fast dodging, i wonder sometimes if people play this game with out taking advantage of the dodge features and physics that's why they seem so clueless & stubborn on scaling.

Many maps are terribly over-scaled in UT3 in my experience, especially some of the conversions where they used the 2K4 BSP, you can't even walk up rails on certain maps that you could and are supposed to in 2004 because of the heavier gravity.

When i first started playing UT3 it felt sluggish to me after having been used to 2004, now i like UT3, it feels right and tight, where as 2004 feels looser and sloppy in certain ways, i do like the moves and gravity of 2004 though. So we gain one thing and lose another sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1XTreme View Post
          Thank you for that detailed answer, when i have a little more time i'll revisit this thread and discuss more.

Real fast though;

I don't think it's just the dodge speed, i think it's also the dodge distance (considerably farther) in 2004, i could get across large map very fast dodging, i wonder sometimes if people play this game with out taking advantage of the dodge features and physics that's why they seem so clueless & stubborn on scaling.
          Took that in account also. The distance is somewhat increased due the increased dodgespeed and lesser of an "arc" in the height. I tried to get as close as possible to UT2004.
          If I were more "skilled" I would of tried improving on UT3 movement instead. For instance make the wall dodge different from the normal dodge and add a cost to dodgejump so it cannot be spammed. Maybe even a way to switch between movement styles dynamically while in game.

Comment

heres a mirror on my site
            http://wickedhq.com/index.php?option...ileinfo&id=180

Comment

Originally posted by HideInLight View Post
              Took that in account also. The distance is somewhat increased due the increased dodgespeed and lesser of an "arc" in the height. I tried to get as close as possible to UT2004.
              If I were more "skilled" I would of tried improving on UT3 movement instead. For instance make the wall dodge different from the normal dodge and add a cost to dodgejump so it cannot be spammed. Maybe even a way to switch between movement styles dynamically while in game.
              Good deal!

That's an important issue IMO, do you need some help with testing and such on this curiously? i've heard many people complain about UT3's movement who had gotten used to 2K4 (I actually prefer UT3 now as i said but i like the moves and gravity feeling on 2K4) this mod seems like it could be something useful for some, it'd be nice to see it make final. Also I know my friend Bl!tz uses the DodgeJump mutator sometimes so i think this could compliment it nicely.

Comment

Yeah, would like some feedback so that I know what needs to be tweaked. Maybe even tweak the weapons slightly.

Although I'm limited by what I can do, for instance I can't edit the dodgejump mutator to work the way I want it to.

Comment

Dead link........

Comment

here you go http://wickedhq.com/Downloads/details/id=10.html

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                      X