• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Alpha] WAR-Pandora [Pics][Updated 04.30.2010]

Name:War-Pandora
    Version:Alpha 0.2f
    Compatibility: Patch 2.1, Titan Pack
    Description: This is a map for my portfolio. It is heavily inspired by Avatar.
    Comments: Just got the map blocked out with bot pathing. All textures are just placeholders and have little to do with the final appearance of the map. Most meshes are still rough and are also just placeholders. At this point I need some help play testing and making this map fun. This is an environment primarily and a fun map with solid design and fun gameplay secondary. This map I want to do right and learn from it, so gameplay testing is important.
    Screenshot: Check below
    Credits:
    Homepage: www.jmchristopher.com
    Download: Not yet.

Some new shots:
    [SHOT]http://www.jmchristopher.com/Build%20Log/04.28.2010/1.jpg[/SHOT]
    [SHOT]http://www.jmchristopher.com/Build%20Log/04.28.2010/2.jpg[/SHOT]

Go to the last page for more info.

that llooks crazy dude!
    i cant wait to see a beta of this one!

Comment

that looks awesome! I wanna test it

Comment

I agree with the above comments. I can't wait to see this one ready to test.

Comment

Old pics:
          [SHOT]http://www.jmchristopher.com/Build%20Log/02.07.2010/1.jpg[/SHOT]
          [SHOT]http://www.jmchristopher.com/Build%20Log/02.07.2010/2.jpg[/SHOT]
          [SHOT]http://www.jmchristopher.com/Build%20Log/02.07.2010/3.jpg[/SHOT]
          [SHOT]http://www.jmchristopher.com/Build%20Log/02.07.2010/4.jpg[/SHOT]

Everything is still rather rough, especially lighting, textures and AI. I am open to any and all suggestions, advice, critiques etc.

Thanks for participating!

Comment

I was going to say it reminded me of the Pineoak anomoly in Stalker - Call of Pripyat, but Avatar works too

Actually it could have been from the cut Dark Escape level of Stalker - Shadow of Chernobyl too

Comment

Another quality map coming to UT3

Comment

Thanks for the comments, but I would really like some feedback on this map. Right now, based on feedback from friends and other forums, the map is too big and many of the routes are obsolete because of the main bridge in the center. I will be making changes, but I would really like some constructive input on this. Any thoughts at all would be helpful. Thanks.

Comment

sorry, i havent had much time to test it out yet :$
                  ill try making some time, soon!

Comment

You may want to keep the bigger version and make a WAR map out of it and cut it down a bit for VCTF.

You could always do what they did in containment and have a neutral contained darkwalker at the bridge forcing use of other paths... or maybe even some turrets there.

Comment

Your work looks really promising. I especially like your approach that creating the environment is the first priority.

I didn't have the time to test this map properly, but i had one issue with on my first couple of tries: being it a huge vCTF map with lots of flying vehicles, i think it requires some relatively easily reachable AVRIL pickups. However I had hard time to find the weapon, and i didn't find any ammo for it. So i suggest you to add 1-2 weapon pickups in the vicinity of respawning locations (or add AVRIL to the weapon lockers if you don't mind players starting with it right after spawning - i think it wouldn't broke the balance much, but i personally prefer to keep AVRIL pickups separately) and some ammo pickups to the major, more open areas.

Also, it's quite a big map, but i think that one Raptor per team would be sufficient. Perhaps, you can change one to another Manta.

[If i will have some time, i'll do some real testing and will give you a more detailed feedback.]

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys.

It is being converted to a warfare map as we speak. There is a lot of space that Just cant be used in a vctf map. Hopefully this weekend I will have a working warfare map.

Comment

i just played it a bit, and the first thing i noticed that dispite the amazing overal detailed look, it ran very good on my machine! 60 fps average
                          i know it still needs more detail works, but its a very good beginning!

i gotta say i agree with CVROY: this map is perfect for WAR and VCTF, but just slightly too big for VCTF because lots of areas in the map wont be used when playing VCTF.

also, you said that the main bridge caused the rest to be kinda obsolete.
                          I totally agree with that, but thats just because you can get from flag to flag in like 20 seconds. a good way to break this [and force people to other parts of the map] is to remove the easy access to the flags, for example forcing the players to walk over a cliff or behind a few of those large rocks..

as for the map layout itself, the only thing bothered me is that i couldnt find the flag location sometimes... adding some pointers or something would be nice

also, i noticed the botpathing was excellent! great job!

i know this map isnt done by far, but you didnt add any blockvolumes to edges etc. etc. :P
                          the same goes for all the lights, but again, you just did the layout :P

good job!

even though i agree this map would be better [AT THE MOMENT!!!] as a WAR map, i would really like to see it as a VCTF map, maybe a bit smaller and all, but that would just be awesome!

Comment

After you release the warfare version I too would love to see it as VCTF and put it on my server

Comment

Great, thanks for the feedback guys. I have tomorrow off, so I will be working on this for most of the day.

I saved a new version and I am massaging it into a warfare map. I am also simplifying the paths, there are fewer and it should be less confusing now. Anyway, I should still have something playable by the weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X